OREMUS: 5 April 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Apr 4 23:03:22 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Wednesday, April 5, 2006

Blessed are you, holy Father,
almighty and eternal God,
 through Jesus Christ our Lord.
For as the time of his passion and resurrection draws near
the whole world is called to acknowledge his hidden majesty.
The power of the life-giving cross
reveals the judgement that has come upon the world
and the triumph of Christ crucified.
He is the victim who dies no more,
the Lamb once slain, who lives for ever,
our advocate in heaven to plead our cause.

http://www.oremus.org/passocan.html

Psalm 55

Hear my prayer, O God;*
 do not hide yourself from my petition.
Listen to me and answer me;*
 I have no peace, because of my cares.
I am shaken by the noise of the enemy*
 and by the pressure of the wicked;
For they have cast an evil spell upon me*
 and are set against me in fury.
My heart quakes within me,*
 and the terrors of death have fallen upon me.
Fear and trembling have come over me,*
 and horror overwhelms me.
And I said, 'O that I had wings like a dove!*
 I would fly away and be at rest.
'I would flee to a far-off place*
 and make my lodging in the wilderness.
'I would hasten to escape*
 from the stormy wind and tempest.œ
Swallow them up, O Lord; confound their speech;*
 for I have seen violence and strife in the city.
Day and night the watch make their rounds upon her walls,*
 but trouble and misery are in the midst of her.
There is corruption at her heart;*
 her streets are never free of oppression and deceit.
For had it been an adversary who taunted me,
   then I could have borne it;*
 or had it been an enemy who vaunted himself against me,
   then I could have hidden from him.
But it was you, one after my own heart,*
 my companion, my own familiar friend.
We took sweet counsel together,*
 and walked with the throng in the house of God.
But I will call upon God,*
 and the Lord will deliver me.
In the evening, in the morning and at noonday
   I will complain and lament,*
 and he will hear my voice.
He will bring me safely back from the battle
   waged against me;*
 for there are many who fight me.
God, who is enthroned of old,
   will hear me and bring them down;*
 they never change; they do not fear God.
My companion stretched forth his hand against his comrade;*
 he has broken his covenant.
His speech is softer than butter,*
 but war is in his heart.
His words are smoother than oil,*
 but they are drawn swords.
Cast your burden upon the Lord and he will sustain you;*
 he will never let the righteous stumble.
For you will bring the bloodthirsty and deceitful*
 down to the pit of destruction, O God.
They shall not live out half their days,*
 but I will put my trust in you.

READING [Hebrews 9:23-28]:

Thus it was necessary for the sketches of the heavenly
things to be purified with these rites, but the heavenly
things themselves need better sacrifices than these. For
Christ did not enter a sanctuary made by human hands, a
mere copy of the true one, but he entered into heaven
itself, now to appear in the presence of God on our
behalf. Nor was it to offer himself again and again, as
the high priest enters the Holy Place year after year
with blood that is not his own; for then he would have
had to suffer again and again since the foundation of the
world. But as it is, he has appeared once for all at the
end of the age to remove sin by the sacrifice of himself.
And just as it is appointed for mortals to die once, and
after that the judgement, so Christ, having been offered
once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time,
not to deal with sin, but to save those who are eagerly
waiting for him.

For another Biblical reading,
Job 34:1-15, 21

HYMN
Words: Francis H. Rowley (1854-1952), 1886
Tune: Hyfrydol
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/i/i180.html

I will sing the wondrous story
of the Christ who died for me;
how he left his home in glory
for the cross of Calvary:
Refrain:
Yes, I'll sing the wondrous story
of the Christ who died for me,
sing it with his saints in glory,
gathered by the crystal sea.

I was lost, but Jesus found me,
found the sheep that went astray,
threw his loving arms around me,
back into the narrow way. Refrain

Faint was I, and fears possessed me,
bruised was I from many a fall;
hope was gone, and shame distressed me,
but his love has pardoned all: Refrain

Days of darkness still come o'er me,
sorrow's path I often tread,
but his presence still is with me;
by his guiding hand I'm led. Refrain

He will keep me till the river
rolls its waters at my feet;
then He'll bear me safely over,
where the loved ones I shall meet. Refrain

With faith and love and in union with Christ,
let us offer our prayer before the throne of grace.

Have mercy on your people,
for whom your Son laid down his life.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Bring healing and wholeness to people and nations,
and have pity on those torn apart by division.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Strengthen all who are persecuted for your name's sake,
and deliver them from evil.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Look in mercy upon all who suffer,
and hear those who cry out in pain and desolation.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Bring comfort to the dying,
and gladden their hearts with the power of your glory.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Give rest to the departed and bring them, with your saints,
to glory everlasting.
Lord, graciously hear us.

As we rejoice in the triumph of the cross,
we pray that the whole of creation may find fulfilment
in the eternal kingdom of God:

To you we come, O Lord,
from the noise of rebellion,
from the violence of the city,
from deceit and treachery,
to hear your voice
and to seek your sustaining care
in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Standing at the foot of the cross, BR>

Christ crucified draw us to himself,
to find in him a sure ground for faith,
a firm support for hope,
and the assurance of sins forgiven. Amen.

prayers in  _Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.