OREMUS: 4 April 2006

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Apr 3 21:11:46 GMT 2006

OREMUS for Tuesday, April 4, 2006
Reginald Heber, Bishop of Calcutta, Hymnwriter, 1826

Blessed are you, holy Father,
almighty and eternal God,
 through Jesus Christ our Lord.
For as the time of his passion and resurrection draws near
the whole world is called to acknowledge his hidden majesty.
The power of the life-giving cross
reveals the judgement that has come upon the world
and the triumph of Christ crucified.
He is the victim who dies no more,
the Lamb once slain, who lives for ever,
our advocate in heaven to plead our cause.

http://www.oremus.org/passocan.html

Psalm 35

Fight those who fight me, O Lord;*
 attack those who are attacking me.
Take up shield and armour*
 and rise up to help me.
Draw the sword and bar the way
   against those who pursue me;*
 say to my soul, 'I am your salvation.'
Let those who seek after my life be shamed and humbled;*
 let those who plot my ruin fall back and be dismayed.
Then I will be joyful in the Lord;*
 I will glory in his victory.
My very bones will say, 'Lord, who is like you?*
 You deliver the poor
   from those who are too strong for them,
   the poor and needy from those who rob them.'
Malicious witnesses rise up against me;*
 they charge me with matters I know nothing about.
They pay me evil in exchange for good;*
 my soul is full of despair.
But when they were sick I dressed in sack-cloth*
 and humbled myself by fasting;
I prayed with my whole heart,
   as one would for a friend or a brother;*
 I behaved like one who mourns for his mother,
   bowed down and grieving.
But when I stumbled,
   they were glad and gathered together;
   they gathered against me;*
 strangers whom I did not know
   tore me to pieces and would not stop.
They put me to the test and mocked me;*
 they gnashed at me with their teeth.
O Lord, how long will you look on?*
 rescue me from the roaring beasts,
   and my life from the young lions.
I will give you thanks in the great congregation;*
 I will praise you in the mighty throng.
Do not let my treacherous foes rejoice over me,*
 nor let those who hate me without a cause
   wink at each other.
For they do not plan for peace,*
 but invent deceitful schemes
   against the quiet in the land.
They opened their mouths at me and said,*
 'Aha! we saw it with our own eyes.'
You saw it, O Lord; do not be silent;*
 O Lord, be not far from me.
Awake, arise, to my cause!*
 to my defence, my God and my Lord!
Give me justice, O Lord my God,
   according to your righteousness;*
 do not let them triumph over me.
Do not let them say in their hearts,
   'Aha! just what we want!'*
 Do not let them say, 'We have swallowed him up.'
Let all who rejoice at my ruin be ashamed and disgraced;*
 let those who boast against me
   be clothed with dismay and shame.
Let those who favour my cause
   sing out with joy and be glad;*
 let them say always, 'Great is the Lord,
   who desires the prosperity of his servant.'
And my tongue shall be talking of your righteousness*
 and of your praise all the day long.

READING [Hebrews 9:11-22]:

But when Christ came as a high priest of the good things
that have come, then through the greater and perfect tent
(not made with hands, that is, not of this creation), he
entered once for all into the Holy Place, not with the
blood of goats and calves, but with his own blood, thus
obtaining eternal redemption. For if the blood of goats
and bulls, with the sprinkling of the ashes of a heifer,
sanctifies those who have been defiled so that their
flesh is purified, how much more will the blood of
Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself
without blemish to God, purify our conscience from dead
works to worship the living God!
For this reason he is the mediator of a new covenant, so
that those who are called may receive the promised
eternal inheritance, because a death has occurred that
redeems them from the transgressions under the first
covenant. Where a will is involved, the death of the one
who made it must be established. For a will takes effect
only at death, since it is not in force as long as the
one who made it is alive. Hence not even the first
covenant was inaugurated without blood. For when every
commandment had been told to all the people by Moses in
accordance with the law, he took the blood of calves and
goats, with water and scarlet wool and hyssop, and
sprinkled both the scroll itself and all the people,
saying, 'This is the blood of the covenant that God has
ordained for you.' And in the same way he sprinkled with
the blood both the tent and all the vessels used in
worship. Indeed, under the law almost everything is
purified with blood, and without the shedding of blood
there is no forgiveness of sins.

For another Biblical reading,
Job 33:1-28

HYMN
Words: Reginald Heber, 1811
Tune: Capetown
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l403.html

Lord of mercy and of might,
of mankind the life and light,
Maker, Teacher, infinite;
Jesus, hear and save!

Who, when sin's primeval doom
gave creation to the tomb,
didst not scorn a Virgin's womb,
Jesus, hear and save!

Strong Creator, Savior mild,
humbled to a mortal child,
captive, beaten, bound, reviled;
Jesus, hear and save!

Throned above celestial things,
borne aloft on angels' wings,
Lord of lords and King of kings;
Jesus, hear and save!

Soon to come to earth again,
judge of angels and of men,
hear us now, and hear us then;
Jesus, hear and save!

Jesus, remember us when you come into your kingdom
and hear our prayers.

For your Church around the world,
we ask new life.

For all who carry out ministries in your Church,
we ask grace and wisdom.

For people who have accepted spiritual disciplines,
we ask inspired discipleship.

For Christians of every land,
we ask new unity in your Name.

For Jews and Muslims and people of other faiths,
we ask your divine blessing.

For those who cannot believe,
we ask your faithful love.

For governors and rulers in every land,
we ask your guidance.

For people who suffer and sorrow,
we ask your healing peace.

Almighty God,
through the incarnate Word
you have caused us to be born anew
of an imperishable and eternal seed:
Look with compassion upon those
who are being prepared for Holy Baptism,
and grant that they may be built as living stones
into a spiritual temple acceptable to you;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Almighty God,
you granted to Reginald Heber
a manifold life of service,
to shepherd a rural parish in England
and to preach in the cities of India.
Give to your people such faithfulness,
that in every place and circumstance
they may sing of your power
and minister your gifts
for the glory of your Name;

Christ crucified draw us to himself,
to find in him a sure ground for faith,
a firm support for hope,
and the assurance of sins forgiven. Amen.

prayers in  _Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The second collect is from _For All the Saints_, (c) General
Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada, 1994.