OREMUS: 1 October 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Sep 30 22:11:57 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Saturday, October 1, 2005

Blessed are you, O God of justice,
you hear our cry and save us.
You call us to heed your word to the prophets,
you rouse us to the demand of the gospel
and impel us to carry it out.

 for his mercy endures for ever.
Give thanks to the God of gods,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.
Give thanks to the Lord of lords,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.
Who only does great wonders,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who by his wisdom made the heavens,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who spread out the earth upon the waters,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who created great lights,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
The sun to rule the day,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
The moon and the stars to govern the night,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.
Who struck down the first-born of Egypt,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And brought out Israel from among them,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
With a mighty hand and a stretched-out arm,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who divided the Red Sea in two,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And made Israel to pass through the midst of it,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
But swept Pharaoh and his army into the Red Sea,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who led his people through the wilderness,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.
Who struck down great kings,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And slew mighty kings,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Sihon, king of the Amorites,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And Og, the king of Bashan,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And gave away their lands for an inheritance,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
An inheritance for Israel his servant,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.
Who remembered us in our low estate,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
And delivered us from our enemies,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Who gives food to all creatures,*
 for his mercy endures for ever;
Give thanks to the God of heaven,*
 for his mercy endures for ever.

A Song of Wisdom (Wisdom 9.1-5a,5c-6,9-11)

O God of our ancestors and Lord of mercy,
you have made all things by your word.

By your wisdom you have formed us
to have dominion over the creatures you have made;

To rule the world in holiness and righteousness
and to pronounce judgement in uprightness of soul.

Give us the Wisdom that sits by your throne;
do not reject us from among your servants,

For we are your servants,
with little understanding of judgement and laws.

Even one who is perfect among us
will be regarded as nothing
without the wisdom that comes from you.

With you is Wisdom, she who knows your works,
and was present when you made the world.

She understands what is pleasing in your sight
and what is right according to your commandments.

Send her forth from the holy heavens,
from the throne of your glory send her.

That she may labour at our side
and that we may learn what is pleasing to you.

For she knows and understands all things,
she will guide us wisely in our actions
and guard us with her glory.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [1 John 2:1-17]:

My little children, I am writing these things to you so
that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an
advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; and
he is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not for
ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.

Now by this we may be sure that we know him, if we obey
his commandments. Whoever says, 'I have come to know
him', but does not obey his commandments, is a liar, and
in such a person the truth does not exist; but whoever
obeys his word, truly in this person the love of God has
reached perfection. By this we may be sure that we are in
him: whoever says, 'I abide in him', ought to walk just
as he walked.

Beloved, I am writing you no new commandment, but an old
commandment that you have had from the beginning; the old
commandment is the word that you have heard. Yet I am
writing you a new commandment that is true in him and in
you, because the darkness is passing away and the true
light is already shining. Whoever says, 'I am in the
light', while hating a brother or sister, is still in the
darkness. Whoever loves a brother or sister lives in the
light, and in such a person there is no cause for
stumbling. But whoever hates another believer is in the
darkness, walks in the darkness, and does not know the
way to go, because the darkness has brought on
blindness.
I am writing to you, little children,
   because your sins are forgiven on account of his
name.
I am writing to you, fathers,
   because you know him who is from the beginning.
I am writing to you, young people,
   because you have conquered the evil one.
I write to you, children,
   because you know the Father.
I write to you, fathers,
   because you know him who is from the beginning.
I write to you, young people,
   because you are strong
   and the word of God abides in you,and you have
overcome the evil one.

Do not love the world or the things in the world. The
love of the Father is not in those who love the world;
for all that is in the world the desire of the flesh, the
desire of the eyes, the pride in riches comes not from
the Father but from the world. And the world and its
desire are passing away, but those who do the will of God
live for ever.

For another Biblical reading,
Proverbs 2:1-11

HYMN
Words: Latin, eighth century; trans. William John Copeland and others, 1906
Tune: Alfreton
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o060.html

O Christ, who art the Light and Day,
thou drivest darksome night away!
we know thee as the Light of light
illuminating mortal sight.

All holy Lord, we pray to thee,
keep us tonight from danger free;
grant us, dear Lord, in thee to rest,
so be our sleep in quiet blessed

And while the eyes soft slumber take,
still be the heart to thee awake,
be thy right hand upheld above
thy servants resting in thy love.

Yea, our Defender, be thou nigh,
to bid the powers of darkness fly;
keep us from sin, and guide for good
thy servants purchased by thy blood.

Remember us, dear Lord, we pray,
while in this mortal flesh we stay:
'tis thou who dost the soul defend
be present with us to the end.

Blest Three in One and One in Three,
almighty God, we pray to thee,
that thou wouldst now vouchsafe to bless
our fast with fruits of righteousness.

Eternal God,
you have declared in Christ
the completion of all your purpose of love.

We pray for those in need:
the tempted and despairing....
the sick and handicapped....
the aged...
and the dying....
the ministries of care and healing....
those who mourn....

We pray for your Church, especially the Diocese of South Western Brazil,
The Rt Revd Jubal Pereira Neves, Bishop...

Eternal God, we give thanks
for the triumphs of the gospel that herald your salvation
the signs of renewal that declare
the coming of your kingdom,
the human lives that reveal your work of grace....

for all those who have died in faith....

for the unceasing praise of the company of heaven,
the promise to those who mourn
that all tears shall be wiped away,
the pledge of death destroyed and victory won....

for our foretaste of eternal life
through baptism and eucharist,
our hope in the Spirit,
and the communion of saints....

May we live by faith, walk in hope and be renewed in love,
until the world reflects your glory
and you are all in all.
Even so, come Lord Jesus. Amen.

Remember us, Lord, as you have in ages past.
You made the world and our human race;
you shaped its history,
correcting your people with judgement yet with love.
Your mercy endures for ever
and we give you thanks, for you alone are good.
Blessed be God for ever! Amen.

Pour out your Spirit, O God, over all the world,
to inspire every heart with knowledge and love of you. Amen.

The psalms, the collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercessions are (c) 2000, The Church of Ireland Central
Communications Board.