OREMUS: 30 September 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Sep 29 20:17:10 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Friday, September 30, 2005
Jerome, Translator of the Scriptures, Teacher of the Faith, 420

Blessed are you, O God of justice,
you hear our cry and save us.
You call us to heed your word to the prophets,
you rouse us to the demand of the gospel
and impel us to carry it out.

Have mercy on me, O God,
   according to your loving-kindness;*
 in your great compassion blot out my offences.
Wash me through and through from my wickedness*
 and cleanse me from my sin.
For I know my transgressions,*
 and my sin is ever before me.
Against you only have I sinned*
 and done what is evil in your sight.
And so you are justified when you speak*
 and upright in your judgement.
Indeed, I have been wicked from my birth,*
 a sinner from my mother's womb.
For behold, you look for truth deep within me,*
 and will make me understand wisdom secretly.
Purge me from my sin and I shall be pure;*
 wash me and I shall be clean indeed.
Make me hear of joy and gladness,*
 that the body you have broken may rejoice.
Hide your face from my sins*
 and blot out all my iniquities.
Create in me a clean heart, O God,*
 and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from your presence*
 and take not your holy Spirit from me.
Give me the joy of your saving help again*
 and sustain me with your bountiful Spirit.
I shall teach your ways to the wicked,*
 and sinners shall return to you.
Deliver me from death, O God,*
 and my tongue shall sing of your righteousness,
   O God of my salvation.
Open my lips, O Lord,*
 and my mouth shall proclaim your praise.
Had you desired it, I would have offered sacrifice,*
 but you take no delight in burnt-offerings.
The sacrifice of God is a troubled spirit;*
 a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
Be favourable and gracious to Zion,*
 and rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.
Then you will be pleased with the appointed sacrifices,
   with burnt-offerings and oblations;*
 then shall they offer young bullocks upon your altar.

A Song of Faith (1 Peter 1.3-4,18-21)

Blessed be the God and Father
of our Lord Jesus Christ!

By his great mercy we have been born anew to a living hope
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.

Into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled and unfading,
kept in heaven for you.

Who are being protected by the power of God
through faith for a salvation,
ready to be revealed in the last time.

You were ransomed from the futile ways of your ancestors
not with perishable things like silver or gold

But with the precious blood of Christ
like that of a lamb without spot or stain.

Through him you have confidence in God,
who raised him from the dead and gave him glory,
so that your faith and hope are set on God.

READING [Deuteronomy 6:1-9]:

Now this is the commandment the statutes and the
ordinances that the LORD your God charged me to teach you
to observe in the land that you are about to cross into
and occupy, so that you and your children and your
children's children may fear the LORD your God all the
days of your life, and keep all his decrees and his
commandments that I am commanding you, so that your days
may be long. Hear therefore, O Israel, and observe them
diligently, so that it may go well with you, and so that
you may multiply greatly in a land flowing with milk and
honey, as the LORD, the God of your ancestors, has
promised you.
Hear, O Israel: The LORD is our God, the LORD alone. You
shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, and
with all your soul, and with all your might. Keep these
words that I am commanding you today in your heart.
Recite them to your children and talk about them when you
are at home and when you are away, when you lie down and
when you rise. Bind them as a sign on your hand, fix them
as an emblem on your forehead, and write them on the
doorposts of your house and on your gates.

For another Biblical reading,
Mark 10:46-52

HYMN
Words:  Isaac Watts (1674-1748), 1707,
as altered by John Wesley (1703-1791), 1737.
Tune: Old 100th
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b032.html

Before Jehovah's awful throne,
ye nations, bow with sacred joy;
know that the Lord is God alone;
he can create, and he destroy.

His sovereign power, without our aid,
made us of clay, and formed us men;
and when like wandering sheep we strayed,
he brought us to his fold again.

We'll crowd thy gates with thankful songs,
high as the heavens our voices raise;
and earth, with her ten thousand tongues,
shall fill thy courts with sounding praise.

Wide as the world is thy command,
vast as eternity thy love;
firm as a rock thy truth must stand,
when rolling years shall cease to move.

Gracious God and Father,
you have given your Son for us all,
that his death might be our life
and his affliction our peace.

We pray for the suffering...
the hungry....
the refugees....
the prisoners....
the persecuted....
all who bring sin and suffering to others....
ministries of care and relief....
the Church in all its work, especially the Diocese of South West Tanganyika,
Tanzania, The Rt Revd Michael Robert Westall, Bishop;
and the Diocese of Western Tanganyika, Tanzania, The Rt Revd Gerard E Mpango, Bishop.

Gracious God and Father, we give you thanks

for the cross of Christ at the heart of creation,
the presence of Christ in our weakness and strength,
the power of Christ to transform our suffering....

for all ministries of healing,
all agencies of relief,
all that sets men free from pain, fear and distress....

for the assurance that your mercy knows no limit,
and for the privilege of sharing
your work of renewal through prayer.

In darkness and in light,
in trouble and in joy,
help us to trust your love, to serve your purpose
and to praise your name;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Loving God, our Father,
you gave your Son Jesus
to be knitted and fastened to our souls
by good will and a great desire for him:
Grant us that Spirit
which opens the eyes of our mind
to that spiritual knowledge of you.
We ask this through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O Lord, O God of truth,
your Word is a lantern to our feet
and a light upon our path:
We give you thanks for your servant Jerome,
and those who, following in his steps,
have labored to render the Holy Scriptures
in the language of the people;
and we pray that your Holy Spirit
will overshadow us as we read the written Word,
and that Christ, the living Word,
will transform us according to your righteous will;
for he lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,

Pour out your Spirit, O God, over all the world,
to inspire every heart with knowledge and love of you. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercessions are (c) 2000, The Church of Ireland Central
Communications Board.

The first collect is by Stephen Benner, 2003,and is  based on a passage from
The Scale of Perfection by Walter Hilton, 14th century

Jerome was the foremost biblical scholar of the ancient Church. His translation
of the Bible, along with his commentaries and homilies on the biblical books,
have made him a major intellectual force in the Western Church.
Jerome was born in about 347, and was converted and baptized during his
student days in Rome. On a visit to Trier, he found himself attracted to the
monastic life, which he tested in a brief but unhappy experience as a hermit in
the deserts of Syria. At Antioch, he continued his studies in Hebrew and
Greek. In 379, he went to Constantinople where he studied under Gregory of
Nazianzus. From 382 to 384 he was secretary to Pope Damasus I, and spiritual
director of many noble Roman ladies who were becoming interested in the
monastic life. It was Damasus who set him the task of making a new
translation of the Bible into Latin -- into the popular form of the language,
hence the name of the translation: the Vulgate. After the death of Damasus,
Jerome returned to the East, and estabished a monastery at Bethlehem, where
he lived and worked until his death on 30 September 420.
Jerome is best known as the translator of the Bible into Latin. A previous
version (now called the Old Latin) existed, but Jerome's version far surpassed
it in scholarship and in literary quality. Jerome was well versed in classical
Latin (as well as Greek and Hebrew), but deliberately translated the Bible into
the style of Latin that was actually spoken and written by the majority of
persons in his own time. This kind of Latin is known as Vulgate Latin
(meaning the Latin of the common people), and accordingly Jerome's
translation is called the Vulgate.
Jerome was intemperate in controversy, and any correspondence with him
tended to degenerate into a flame war. (His friendship with Augustine,
conducted by letter, nearly ended before it began. Fortunately Augustine sized
him up correctly, soothed his feelings, and was extremely tactful thereafter.)
His hot temper, pride of learning, and extravagant promotion of asceticism
involved him in many bitter controversies over questions of theology and of
Bible interpretation. However, he was candid at times in admitting his failings,
and was never ambitious for either worldly or churchly honors. He was a
militant champion of orthodoxy, a tireless worker, and a scholar of rare gifts.
[James Kiefer, abridged]