OREMUS: 26 September 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Sep 25 20:11:43 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Monday, September 26, 2005
Wilson Carlile, Founder of the Church Army, 1942

Blessed are you, O God of justice,
you hear our cry and save us.
You call us to heed your word to the prophets,
you rouse us to the demand of the gospel
and impel us to carry it out.

The earth is the Lord's and all that is in it,*
 the world and all who dwell therein.
For it is he who founded it upon the seas*
 and made it firm upon the rivers of the deep.
'Who can ascend the hill of the Lord?*
 and who can stand in his holy place?'
'Those who have clean hands and a pure heart,*
 who have not pledged themselves to falsehood,
   nor sworn by what is a fraud.
'They shall receive a blessing from the Lord*
 and a just reward from the God of their salvation.'
Such is the generation of those who seek him,*
 of those who seek your face, O God of Jacob.
Lift up your heads, O gates;
   lift them high, O everlasting doors;*
 and the King of glory shall come in.
'Who is this King of glory?'*
 'The Lord, strong and mighty,
   the Lord, mighty in battle.'
Lift up your heads, O gates;
   lift them high, O everlasting doors;*
 and the King of glory shall come in.
'Who is he, this King of glory?'*
 'The Lord of hosts,
   he is the King of glory.'

Psalm 29

Ascribe to the Lord, you gods,*
 ascribe to the Lord glory and strength.
Ascribe to the Lord the glory due to his name;*
 worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness.
The voice of the Lord is upon the waters;
   the God of glory thunders;*
 the Lord is upon the mighty waters.
The voice of the Lord is a powerful voice;*
 the voice of the Lord is a voice of splendour.
The voice of the Lord breaks the cedar trees;*
 the Lord breaks the cedars of Lebanon;
He makes Lebanon skip like a calf,*
 and Mount Hermon like a young wild ox.
The voice of the Lord splits the flames of fire;
   the voice of the Lord shakes the wilderness;*
 the Lord shakes the wilderness of Kadesh.
The voice of the Lord makes the oak trees writhe*
 and strips the forests bare.
And in the temple of the Lord*
 all are crying, 'Glory!'
The Lord sits enthroned above the flood;*
 the Lord sits enthroned as king for evermore.
The Lord shall give strength to his people;*
 the Lord shall give his people the blessing of peace.

A Song of God's Children (Romans 8:2,14,15b-19)

The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus
has set us free from the law of sin and death.

All who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God;
for we have received the Spirit that enables us to cry, 'Abba, Father'.

The Spirit himself bears witness that we are children of God
and if God's children, then heirs of God;

If heirs of God, then fellow-heirs with Christ;
since we suffer with him now, that we may be glorified with him.

These sufferings that we now endure
are not worth comparing to the glory that shall be revealed.

For the creation waits with eager longing
for the revealing of the children of God.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Exodus 19:1-9ab]:

At the third new moon after the Israelites had gone out
of the land of Egypt, on that very day, they came into
the wilderness of Sinai. They had journeyed from
Rephidim, entered the wilderness of Sinai, and camped in
the wilderness; Israel camped there in front of the
mountain. Then Moses went up to God; the LORD called to
him from the mountain, saying, 'Thus you shall say to the
house of Jacob, and tell the Israelites: You have seen
what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on
eagles' wings and brought you to myself. Now therefore,
if you obey my voice and keep my covenant, you shall be
my treasured possession out of all the peoples. Indeed,
the whole earth is mine, but you shall be for me a
priestly kingdom and a holy nation. These are the words
that you shall speak to the Israelites.'
So Moses came, summoned the elders of the people, and set
before them all these words that the LORD had commanded
him. The people all answered as one: 'Everything that the
LORD has spoken we will do.' Moses reported the words of
the people to the LORD. Then the LORD said to Moses, 'I
am going to come to you in a dense cloud, in order that
the  people may hear when I speak with you and so trust
you ever after.'

For another Biblical reading,
Mark 10:1-12

HYMN
Words: Christopher Wordsworth, 1872
Tune: Quam dilecta
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l240.html

Lord, be thy word my rule;
in it may I rejoice;
thy glory be my aim,
thy holy will my choice;

Thy promises my hope;
thy providence my guard;
thine arm my strong support;
thyself my great reward.

maker of all good things and Father of all;
you have shown us in Christ the purpose of your creation
and call us to be responsible in the world.

We pray for the world
all the nations....
our own country....
those in authority....
the peace of the world....
racial harmony....
those who maintain order....

We pray for the Church, especially the Diocese of Soroti, Uganda,
The Rt Revd Charles Bernard Obaikol-Ebitu, Bishop...

Almighty God, we give you thanks
for the order of created things
the resources of the earth
and the gift of human life....

for the continuing work of creation,
man's share in it,
and for creative vision and inventive skill....

for your faithfulness to man in patience and in love,
and for every human response of obedience
and humble achievement....

May we delight in your purpose
and work to bring all things to their true end;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

God of mystery and power,
open our eyes to the flame of your love,
and open our ears to the thunder of your justice,
that we may receive your gifts of blessing and peace,
to the glory of your Name;

by whose grace Wilson Carlile, kindled with the fire of your love,
became a burning and a shining light in the Church:
inflame us with the same spirit of discipline and love,
that we may ever walk before you as children of light;

Pour out your Spirit, O God, over all the world,
to inspire every heart with knowledge and love of you. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercessions are (c) 2000, The Church of Ireland Central
Communications Board.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

Wilson Carlile was born in 1847 in Brixton. He suffered from a spinal
weakness all his life, which hampered his education. He entered his
grandfather's business at the age of thirteen but soon moved on and learned
French fluently, which he used to good advantage in France trading in silk. He
later learned German and Italian to enhance his business but was ruined in the
slump of 1873. After a serious illness, he began to treat his religion more
seriously and became confirmed in the Church of England. He acted as organist
to Ira D Sankey during the Moody and Sankey missions and, in 1881, was
ordained priest, serving his curacy at St Mary Abbots in Kensington, together
with a dozen other curates. The lack of contact between the Church and the
working classes was a cause of real concern to him and he began outdoor
preaching. In 1882, he resigned his curacy and founded the Church Army, four
years after the founding of the Salvation Army. Under his influence it thrived
and he continued to take part in its administration until a few weeks before his
death on this day in 1942. [Exciting Holiness]