OREMUS: 25 September 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Sep 24 19:48:10 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, September 25, 2005
The Nineteenth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, O God of justice,
you hear our cry and save us.
You call us to heed your word to the prophets,
you rouse us to the demand of the gospel
and impel us to carry it out.

To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul;
   my God, I put my trust in you;*
 let me not be humiliated,
   nor let my enemies triumph over me.
Let none who look to you be put to shame;*
 let the treacherous be disappointed in their schemes.
Show me your ways, O Lord,*
 and teach me your paths.
Lead me in your truth and teach me,*
 for you are the God of my salvation;
   in you have I trusted all the day long.
Remember, O Lord, your compassion and love,*
 for they are from everlasting.
Remember not the sins of my youth
   and my transgressions;*
 remember me according to your love
   and for the sake of your goodness, O Lord.
Gracious and upright is the Lord;*
 therefore he teaches sinners in his way.
He guides the humble in doing right*
 and teaches his way to the lowly.
All the paths of the Lord are love and faithfulness*
 to those who keep his covenant and his testimonies.
For your name's sake, O Lord,*
 forgive my sin, for it is great.
Who are they who fear the Lord?*
 he will teach them the way that they should choose.
They shall dwell in prosperity,*
 and their offspring shall inherit the land.
The Lord is a friend to those who fear him*
 and will show them his covenant.
My eyes are ever looking to the Lord,*
 for he shall pluck my feet out of the net.
Turn to me and have pity on me,*
 for I am left alone and in misery.
The sorrows of my heart have increased;*
 bring me out of my troubles.
Look upon my adversity and misery*
 and forgive me all my sin.
Look upon my enemies, for they are many,*
 and they bear a violent hatred against me.
Protect my life and deliver me;*
 let me not be put to shame, for I have trusted in you.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me,*
 for my hope has been in you.
Deliver Israel, O God,*
 out of all his troubles.

Bless the Lord (Song of the Three 29-34)
Blessed are you, the God of our ancestors,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed is your holy and glorious name,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you, in your holy and glorious temple,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you who look into the depths,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you, enthroned on the cherubim,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you on the throne of your kingdom,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Blessed are you in the heights of heaven,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Bless the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Exodus 18:5-24]:

Jethro, Moses' father-in-law, came into the wilderness
where Moses was encamped at the mountain of God, bringing
Moses' sons and wife to him. He sent word to Moses, 'I,
your father-in-law Jethro, am coming to you, with your
wife and her two sons.' Moses went out to meet his
father-in-law; he bowed down and kissed him; each asked
after the other's welfare, and they went into the tent.
Then Moses told his father-in-law all that the LORD had
done to Pharaoh and to the Egyptians for Israel's sake,
all the hardship that had beset them on the way, and how
the LORD had delivered them. Jethro rejoiced for all the
good that the LORD had done to Israel, in delivering them
from the Egyptians.
Jethro said, 'Blessed be the LORD, who has delivered you
from the Egyptians and from Pharaoh. Now I know that the
LORD is greater than all gods, because he delivered the
people from the Egyptians, when they dealt arrogantly
with them.' And Jethro, Moses' father-in-law, brought a
burnt-offering and sacrifices to God; and Aaron came with
all the elders of Israel to eat bread with Moses'
father-in-law in the presence of God.
The next day Moses sat as judge for the people, while the
people stood around him from morning until evening. When
Moses' father-in-law saw all that he was doing for the
people, he said, 'What is this that you are doing for the
people? Why do you sit alone, while all the people stand
around you from morning until evening?' Moses said to his
father-in-law, 'Because the people come to me to inquire
of God. When they have a dispute, they come to me and I
decide between one person and another, and I make known
to them the statutes and instructions of God.' Moses"
father-in-law said to him, 'What you are doing is not
good. You will surely wear yourself out, both you and
these people with you. For the task is too heavy for you;
you cannot do it alone. Now listen to me. I will give you
counsel, and God be with you! You should represent the
people before God, and you should bring their cases
before God; teach them the statutes and instructions and
make known to them the way they are to go and the things
they are to do. You should also look for able men among
all the people, men who fear God, are trustworthy, and
hate dishonest gain; set such men over them as officers
over thousands, hundreds, fifties and tens. Let them sit
as judges for the people at all times; let them bring
every important case to you, but decide every minor case
themselves. So it will be easier for you, and they will
bear the burden with you. If you do this, and God so
commands you, then you will be able to endure, and all
these people will go to their home in peace.'
So Moses listened to his father-in-law and did all that
he had said.

For another Biblical reading,
Romans 15:14-33

HYMN
Words: Fred Pratt Green (c)
Tune: Ar hyd y nos
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f211.html

For the fruit of all creation,
thanks be to God.
gifts bestowed on every nation,
thanks be to God.
For the plowing, sowing, reaping,
silent growth while we are sleeping,
future needs in earth's safekeeping,
thanks be to God.

In the just reward of labor,
God's will is done.
In the help we give our neighbor,
God's will is done.
In our worldwide task of caring
for the hungry and despairing,
in the harvests we are sharing,
God's will is done.

For the harvests of the Spirit,
thanks be to God.
For the good we all inherit,
thanks be to God.
For the wonders that astound us,
for the truths that still confound us,
most of all that love has found us,
thanks be to God.

O God Our Creator,
you have graced us with the gift of life and a world to live in.
Empower and strengthen the witness of your church
that, true to its calling, it may proclaim
your radical and boundless love, in word and deed.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Saving God,
you nourish and sustain us by Word and Sacrament.
Strengthen all the people of our church,
especially our bishops, priests and deacons.
Grant that, sustained in you, our service and witness in this land
may be full of faith and love.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

O God, Source of our life,
you have adopted us in the waters of baptism
and made us your own in love.
We pray that we may embrace our lives and the lives of others
with courage and compassion, unafraid of joy and pain, sickness and health.
May your care be made known in our care.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

God of Justice,
you revealed your power in the servanthood of Jesus.
May those who govern the nations use their authority
in wisdom, kindness and peace.
Awaken in all who govern a thirst for justice
that embodies your care for this earth and the human community.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Liberating God,
you are the hope of the weak and the needy.
Rescue those who suffer poverty, injustice or oppression when they cry out.
Open the ears of our hearts to hear
and quicken in us the fire to respond in love.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Compassionate One,
you are a well-spring of comfort and healing.
Grant comfort, healing and release
to those who suffer illness, distress or grief.
Awaken in us boundless compassion
and use us as agents of lovingkindness.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

God of all generations,
we thank you for the gift of the lives
and the loving service of all who have died.
Keep us in the bonds of love with all the saints throughout the ages
and bring us to the fullness of your reign.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

O God of Love,
hear the prayers of your people.
Enliven us by your Spirit, to live into the fullness of your reign.
We pray through Jesus, our life and our hope. Amen.

Grant, O merciful God,
that your Church, being gathered by your Holy Spirit into one,
may show forth your power among all peoples,
to the glory of your name;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Pour out your Spirit, O God, over all the world,
to inspire every heart with knowledge and love of you. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

Hymn (c) 1970 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
In US & Canada:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
www.stainer.co.uk

The intercession is slightly adapted Copyright:   1995, 1999 Evangelical
Lutheran Church in Canada. (Lift Up Your Hearts,  http://www.worship.ca/)

Westminster / John Knox Press.