OREMUS: 24 September 2005

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Sat Sep 24 10:13:44 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Saturday, September 24, 2005

you protect the poor and defend the just;
in your kingdom, the last becomes first,
the gentle are strong,
and the lowly are exalted.

An <http://www.oremus.org/ocan.html>opening canticle may be sung.

Psalm 120

When I was in trouble I called to the Lord,*
  I called to the Lord and he answered me.
Deliver me, O Lord, from lying lips*
  and from the deceitful tongue.
What shall be done to you and what more besides,*
  O you deceitful tongue?
The sharpened arrows of a warrior,*
  along with hot glowing coals.
How hateful it is that I must lodge in Meshech*
  and dwell among the tents of Kedar!
Too long have I had to live*
  among the enemies of peace.
I am on the side of peace,*
  but when I speak of it, they are for war.

Psalm 123

To you I lift up my eyes,*
  to you enthroned in the heavens.
As the eyes of servants look to the hand of their masters,*
  and the eyes of a maid to the hand of her mistress,
So our eyes look to the Lord our God,*
  until he show us his mercy.
Have mercy upon us, O Lord, have mercy,*
  for we have had more than enough of contempt,
Too much of the scorn of the indolent rich,*
  and of the derision of the proud.

Psalm 124

If the Lord had not been on our side,*
  let Israel now say;
If the Lord had not been on our side,*
  when enemies rose up against us;
Then would they have swallowed us up alive*
  in their fierce anger towards us;
Then would the waters have overwhelmed us*
  and the torrent gone over us;
Then would the raging waters*
  have gone right over us.
Blessèd be the Lord!*
  he has not given us over to be a prey for their teeth.
We have escaped like a bird
    from the snare of the fowler;*
  the snare is broken and we have escaped.
Our help is in the name of the Lord,*
  the maker of heaven and earth.

A Song of God's Assembled (Hebrews 12:22-24a,28-29)

We have come before God's holy mountain,
to the heavenly Jerusalem, the city of the living God.

We have come before countless angels making festival,
before the assembly of the firstborn citizens of heaven.

We have come before God, who is judge of all,
before the spirits of the just made perfect.

We have come before Jesus,
the mediator of the new covenant.

We are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken:
so let us give thanks and offer to God acceptable worship,

full of reverence and awe;
for our God is a consuming fire.

  and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [1 John 2:22-29]:

Who is the liar but the one who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is
the antichrist, the one who denies the Father and the Son. No one who
denies the Son has the Father; everyone who confesses the Son has the
Father also. Let what you heard from the beginning abide in you. If what
you heard from the beginning abides in you, then you will abide in the Son
and in the Father. And this is what he has promised us, eternal life.

I write these things to you concerning those who would deceive you. As for
you, the anointing that you received from him abides in you, and so you do
not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all
things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, abide
in him.

And now, little children, abide in him, so that when he is revealed we may
have confidence and not be put to shame before him at his coming.

If you know that he is righteous, you may be sure that everyone who does
right has been born of him.

For another Biblical reading,
<http://bible.oremus.org/?version=nrsvae&vnum=no&passage=Ezekiel+37:15-28>Ezekiel
37:15-28

HYMN

Words: Henry Francis Lyte, 1847
Tune: Eventide

<http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a062.html>http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a062.html

Abide with me: fast falls the eventide;
the darkness deepens; Lord, with me abide:
when other helpers fail and comforts flee,
help of the helpless, O abide with me.

I need thy presence every passing hour;
what but thy grace can foil the tempter's power?
Who, like thyself, my guide and stay can be?
Through cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me.

I fear no foe, with thee at hand to bless;
ills have no weight, and tears no bitterness.
Where is death's dark sting? where, grave, thy victory?
I triumph still, if thou abide with me.

Hold thou thy cross before my closing eyes;
shine through the gloom, and point me to the skies;
heaven's morning breaks, and earth's vain shadows flee;
in life, in death, O Lord, abide with me.

The <http://www.oremus.org/liturgy/ccp/canticle.cgi?38>Benedictus
(Morning), the
<http://www.oremus.org/liturgy/ccp/canticle.cgi?37>Magnificat (Evening), or
<http://www.oremus.org/liturgy/ccp/canticle.cgi?39>Nunc dimittis (Night)
may follow.

Prayer:

Great and wonderful God, we praise and thank you for the gift of renewal in
Jesus Christ. Especially we thank you for
opportunities for rest and recreation...
(We thank you, Lord.)
the regenerating gifts of the Holy Spirit...
activities shared by young and old...
fun and laughter...
every service that proclaims your love...

You make all things new, O God, and we offer our prayers for the renewal of
the whole world and the healing of its wounds. Especially we pray for
those who have no leisure...
(Lord, hear our prayer.)
people enslaved by addictions...
those who entertain and enlighten...
those confronted with temptation...
the church in North America...
the Diocese of Sokoto, Nigeria, The Rt Revd Augustine Omole, Bishop...

God of consolation,
look upon us, pilgrims in a strange land:
preserve us from slander and deceit,
show us the truth
and give to our souls the peace Christ won upon the cross.
To him be glory for ever! Amen.

- The <http://www.oremus.org/lp.html>Lord's Prayer

Give us grace to persevere in following Jesus,
in whom is the pattern of true discipleship. Amen.

----------
The psalms, the collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from
Celebrating Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of Saint Francis 1992,
which is used with permission.

The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition,
copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing prayer use phrases from
a prayer in Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language. Canterbury
Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is from Book of Common Worship, © 1993 Westminster / John
Knox Press.