OREMUS: 22 September 2005

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Thu Sep 22 00:16:17 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Thursday, September 22, 2005
Philander Chase, Bishop of Ohio and of Illinois, missionary, 1852

you protect the poor and defend the just;
in your kingdom, the last becomes first,
the gentle are strong,
and the lowly are exalted.

O Lord our governor,*
  how exalted is your name in all the world!
Out of the mouths of infants and children*
  your majesty is praised above the heavens.
You have set up a stronghold against your adversaries,*
  to quell the enemy and the avenger.
When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers,*
  the moon and the stars you have set in their courses,
What are mortals, that you should be mindful of them?*
  mere human beings, that you should seek them out?
You have made them little lower than the angels;*
  you adorn them with glory and honour.
You give them mastery over the works of your hands;*
  and put all things under their feet,
All sheep and oxen,*
  even the wild beasts of the field,
The birds of the air, the fish of the sea,*
  and whatsoever walks in the paths of the sea.
O Lord our governor,*
  how exalted is your name in all the world!

Psalm 16
Protect me, O God, for I take refuge in you;*
  I have said to the Lord, ‘You are my Lord,
    my good above all other.’
All my delight is upon the godly that are in the land,*
  upon those who are noble among the people.
But those who run after other gods*
  shall have their troubles multiplied.
Their libations of blood I will not offer,*
  nor take the names of their gods upon my lips.
O Lord, you are my portion and my cup;*
  it is you who uphold my lot.
My boundaries enclose a pleasant land;*
  indeed, I have a goodly heritage.
I will bless the Lord who gives me counsel;*
  my heart teaches me, night after night.
I have set the Lord always before me;*
  because he is at my right hand I shall not fall.
My heart, therefore, is glad and my spirit rejoices;*
  my body also shall rest in hope.
For you will not abandon me to the grave,*
  nor let your holy one see the Pit.
You will show me the path of life;*
  in your presence there is fullness of joy,
    and in your right hand are pleasures for evermore.

A Song of Christ's Appearing (1 Timothy 3:16; 6:15-16)

Christ Jesus was revealed in the flesh
and vindicated in the spirit.

He was seen by angels
and proclaimed among the nations.

Believed in throughout the world,
he was taken up in glory.

This will be made manifest at the proper time
by the blessed and only Sovereign,

Who alone has immortality,
and dwells in unapproachable light.

To the King of kings and Lord of lords
be honour and eternal dominion. Amen.

  you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Matthew 21:12-17]:

Jesus entered the temple and drove out all who were selling
and buying in the temple, and he overturned the tables of the
money-changers and the seats of those who sold doves. He said
to them, 'It is written,
"My house shall be called a house of prayer";
but you are making it a den of robbers.'
The blind and the lame came to him in the temple, and he cured them.
But when the chief priests and the scribes saw the amazing things
that he did, and heard the children crying out in the temple, 'Hosanna
to the Son of David', they became angry and said to him, 'Do you hear
what these are saying?' Jesus said to them, 'Yes; have you never read,
"Out of the mouths of infants and nursing babies
you have prepared praise for yourself"?'
He left them, went out of the city to Bethany, and spent the night there.

For another Biblical reading, Hosea 2:16-23

HYMN
Words: Reginald Heber, 1811
Tune: Hosanna

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h343.html

Hosanna to the living Lord!
Hosanna to the incarnate Word!
To Christ, Creator, Savior, King,
let earth, let heaven, hosanna sing!
Hosanna Lord! Hosanna in the highest!

Hosanna Lord! thine angels cry;
Hosanna Lord! thy saints reply;
above, beneath us, and around,
both death and living swell the sound:
Hosanna Lord! Hosanna in the highest!

O Savior, with protecting care
abide in this thy house of prayer,
where we thy parting promise claim.
assembled in thy sacred Name:
Hosanna Lord! Hosanna in the highest!

But, chiefest, in our cleans?ed breast,
Eternal! bid thy Spirit rest;
and make our secret soul to be
a temple pure and worthy thee.
Hosanna Lord! Hosanna in the highest!

So in the last and dreadful day,
when earth and heaven shall melt away,
thy flock, redeemed from sinful stain,
shall swell the sound of praise again.
Hosanna Lord! Hosanna in the highest!

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening),
or Nunc dimittis (Night) may follow.

Prayer:
Loving God, as the rising sun chases away the night, so
you have scattered the power of death in the rising of Jesus Christ,
and you bring us all blessings in him. Especially we thank you for

     the community of faith in our church...
     (We thank you, Lord.)
     those with whom we work or share common concerns...
     the diversity of your children...
     indications of your love at work in the world...
     those who work for reconciliation...

Mighty God, with the dawn of your love you reveal your victory
over all that would destroy or harm, and you brighten the lives of all
who need you. Especially we pray for

     families suffering separation...
     (Lord, hear our prayer)
     people different from ourselves...
     those isolated by sickness or sorrow...
     the victims of violence or warfare...
     the church in the Pacific region...
     the Diocese of Sittwe, Myanmar,
     The Rt Revd Barnabas Theaung Hawi, Bishop...

Blessed are you, Creator of heaven and earth,
amid the immensity of the universe,
you are mindful of us and seek us out.
Blessed are you for the gift of your Son,
who humbled himself to share our life
that we might be raised with him to glory and splendor.
Blessed be your holy Name:
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
now and for ever. Amen.

Almighty God,
whose Son Jesus Christ is the pioneer and perfecter of our faith:
We give you heartfelt thanks for the pioneering spirit
of your servant Philander Chase,
and for his zeal in opening new frontiers for the ministry of your Church.
Grant us grace to minister in Christ's name in every place,
led by bold witnesses to the Gospel of the Prince of Peace,
Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Give us grace to persevere in following Jesus,
in whom is the pattern of true discipleship. Amen.

The psalms and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from
Celebrating Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of Saint
Francis 1992, which is used with permission.

The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary
Edition, copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The biblical passage is from The New Revised Standard Version
(Anglicized Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian
Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA.
Used by permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing prayer use phrases from
a prayer in Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language. Canterbury
Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is from Book of Common Worship, © 1993 Westminster / John
Knox Press.

The first collect is from Daily Prayer, copyright © The Scottish Episcopal
Church, 1998. Used with permission. http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

The second collect is from the resolution passed at General Convention
authorizing the feast of Philander Chase.

Philander Chase was born on December 14, 1775, in Cornish, New Hampshire.
In 1791, having been dissuaded by his father from his earlier aspirations
of becoming a farmer, young Chase enrolled in Dartmouth College. There he
happened upon a copy of The Book of Common Prayer which inspired him to
leave behind his Congregational upbringing and seek ordination as an
Episcopal priest.

When Chase graduated in 1795, Chase traveled to Albany, New York, to study
under the Reverend Thomas Ellison. In 1798, Chase was ordained a deacon and
he spent the next year traveling throughout western New York organizing
parishes. When admitted to the priesthood in 1799, Chase took charge of
Christ Church in Poughkeepsie, New York.

In 1805, Chase accepted an invitation to help establish the first Episcopal
parish in New Orleans, Louisiana. He hoped that the warmer climate would
help alleviate his wife's consumption (tuberculosis). Mary's health did not
improve, however, and the Chases desperately missed their children, whom
they had left with relatives in Vermont. Thus, in 1811, Chase returned to
the New England to take over the rectorship of Christ Church in Hartford,
Connecticut, and to oversee his sons' education.

Chase would not stay long in Hartford. He soon felt the pull westward to
preach on the frontier as he had years earlier in western New York. In
1817, this urge, coupled with growing tensions between he and John Henry
Hobart, bishop of New York, compelled Chase to follow the migration west.
He settled in Worthington, Ohio, a small pioneer community established in
1803 by a group of fellow New Englanders. There, Chase purchased a tract of
land for a farm and was appointed principal of Worthington Academy. It was
also there, in 1818, his wife Mary succumbed to her illness.

Shortly after this devastating loss, Chase received the appointment of
bishop of the newly-formed Diocese of Ohio. This appointment was met with
much disapproval by several fellow bishops and Chase was not consecrated
until February, 1819. That same year, Chase married Sophia May Ingraham.

Life in Worthington was not easy for Bishop Chase. He struggled to support
his family, but his income from his farm and from Worthington Academy did
not suffice, and his position as bishop paid him no salary. To better his
financial situation, Chase accepted the presidency of Cincinnati College in
1821.

Chase would return to Worthington after about one year. He soon realized
that the Diocese of Ohio was in dire need of help. Despite his hard work,
and unending travel (he logged over 1200 miles on horseback between June,
1820, and June, 1821), Chase found it exceedingly difficult to find trained
clergy. Since its split from the Church of England, the Episcopal Church
paid little attention to its western expansion. Thus, with no expectation
of help from the East, Chase formulated a plan: he would found a
theological seminary in the West to train clergy for the West. Many other
bishops strongly objected to Chase's plan, especially his rival, Bishop
Hobart. They believed that the General Theological Seminary in New York
(founded in 1817) was sufficient to train western clergy.

It was clear that Chase could not raise the necessary funds for his
theological seminary in America, so he ignored the opposition from the East
and traveled to England to solicit donations. Accompanied only by a single
letter of introduction (that of Henry Clay to the Lord Gambier), Chase set
sail in October, 1823. That single letter, along with his determination,
proved successful. By July, 1824, Chase had raised nearly $30,000 dollars
for his seminary. Donors included the Lords Gambier, Bexley, and Kenyon,
Lady Rosse, and Hannah More. In December, the Ohio legislature incorporated
Chase's theological seminary, which he would name Kenyon College, after one
of its chief benefactors. This seminary continues today as Bexley Hall
Seminary, both in Rochester, New York, and now back in Ohio on the campus
of Trinity Lutheran Seminary in Columbus.

Problems arose as Chase struggled to keep Kenyon funded and running
smoothly. He argued that since he was bishop of Ohio and founder and
president of Kenyon College, he had absolute authority over all aspects of
the college and the seminary. This caused a bitter conflict between with
the trustees, faculty, and the clergy. Finally, in 1831, the Ohio
Convention demanded he relinquish some control. Chase, both frustrated and
exhausted, instead resigned the presidency of Kenyon College and the
episcopacy of Ohio on September 9, 1831.

Chase left Gambier with his family and settled on a small farm twenty miles
away (near Millersburg) which he aptly named the Valley of Peace. The next
spring Chase moved his family to Gilead, Michigan, where he returned to the
life of a simple farmer and itinerant minister.

Chase's simple life did not last long. In 1835, without his knowledge, a
group of Illinois parishes gathered to form the Diocese of Illinois, and
elected Chase its first bishop. Chase, seemingly pleased to leave the
simple life, eagerly accepted this position and again looked to the East
for aid for his new diocese. As before, Chase received little help from the
East, so he quickly formulated plans for a new theological seminary to be
established near Peoria (Jubilee College, founded in 1839).

While Chase's position within the church improved (as senior bishop, he was
appointed to presiding bishop in 1843), his new college struggled to stay open.

By 1852, Chase, now seventy-seven, had lived a hard pioneer life and as a
result, his health was failing. In September, Chase was pulled from his
carriage by his horse. He lingered for a few days, but on September 20,
Philander Chase died. Without Chase at the helm, Jubilee had no chance of
survival. It struggled on for a few more years and finally closed its doors
in 1862. Samuel Chase, after serving as chaplain during the Civil War,
attempted once more to open Jubilee, but was forced to begin selling the
lands in 1871.

Philander Chase spent his life hacking through the frontier wilderness
missionizing and educating, as well as traveling throughout the country
(and to England, twice) raising money to support his endeavors. Chase also
faced the death of his wife, Mary, and of three of his children (two of
whom did not see their first birthday), and he endured constant attacks of
his enemies, and a life of dire financial straits, for both him, and his
institutions. Nevertheless, Chase was able to overcome these hardships and
achieve his goals of bringing religion and education to the west thus
establishing himself as a seminal figure in the history of religion,
education, and the American frontier. [Kenyon College, abridged]