OREMUS: 20 September 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Sep 19 20:38:26 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Tuesday, September 20, 2005
John Coleridge Patteson, First Bishop of Melanesia,
and his Companions, Martyrs, 1871

you protect the poor and defend the just;
in your kingdom, the last becomes first,
the gentle are strong,
and the lowly are exalted.

The Lord is my light and my salvation;
   whom then shall I fear?*
 the Lord is the strength of my life;
   of whom then shall I be afraid?
When evildoers came upon me to eat up my flesh,*
 it was they, my foes and my adversaries,
   who stumbled and fell.
Though an army should encamp against me,*
 yet my heart shall not be afraid;
And though war should rise up against me,*
 yet will I put my trust in him.
One thing have I asked of the Lord;
   one thing I seek;*
 that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
   all the days of my life;
To behold the fair beauty of the Lord*
 and to seek him in his temple.
For in the day of trouble
   he shall keep me safe in his shelter;*
 he shall hide me in the secrecy of his dwelling
   and set me high upon a rock.
Even now he lifts up my head*
 above my enemies round about me;
Therefore I will offer in his dwelling an oblation
   with sounds of great gladness;*
 I will sing and make music to the Lord.
Hearken to my voice, O Lord, when I call;*
 have mercy on me and answer me.
You speak in my heart and say, 'Seek my face.'*
 Your face, Lord, will I seek.
Hide not your face from me,*
 nor turn away your servant in displeasure.
You have been my helper;
   cast me not away;*
 do not forsake me, O God of my salvation.
Though my father and my mother forsake me,*
 the Lord will sustain me.
Show me your way, O Lord;*
 lead me on a level path, because of my enemies.
Deliver me not into the hand of my adversaries,*
 for false witnesses have risen up against me,
   and also those who speak malice.
What if I had not believed
   that I should see the goodness of the Lord*
 in the land of the living!
O tarry and await the Lord's pleasure;
   be strong and he shall comfort your heart;*
 wait patiently for the Lord.

A Song of Baruch (Baruch 5.5,6c,7-9

Arise, O Jerusalem, stand upon the height:
look to the east and see your children,

Gathered from the west and the east
at the word of the Holy One.

They rejoice that God has remembered them
and has brought them back to you.

For God has ordered that every high mountain
and the everlasting hills be made low,

And the valleys filled up to make level ground
so that they may walk safely in the glory of God.

The woods and every fragrant tree
have shaded them at God's command.

For God will lead his people with joy
in the light of his glory
with the mercy and righteousness that comes from God.

READING [Matthew 20:29-34]:

As they were leaving Jericho, a large crowd followed him.
There were two blind men sitting by the roadside. When
they heard that Jesus was passing by, they shouted,
'Lord, have mercy on us, Son of David!' The crowd sternly
ordered them to be quiet; but they shouted even more
loudly, 'Have mercy on us, Lord, Son of David!' Jesus
stood still and called them, saying, 'What do you want me
to do for you?' They said to him, 'Lord, let our eyes be
opened.' Moved with compassion, Jesus touched their eyes.
Immediately they regained their sight and followed him.

For another Biblical reading,
Hosea 2:1-7

HYMN
Words: Tate and Brady, 1698
Tune: St. Bride
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h099.html

Have mercy, Lord, on me,
as thou wert ever kind;
let me, oppressed with loads of guilt,
thy wonted mercy find.

Wash off my foul offense,
and cleanse me from my sin;
for I confess my crime, and see
how great my guilt has been.

The joy thy favor gives
let me again obtain,
and thy free Spirit's firm support
my fainting soul sustain.

To God the Father, Son
and Spirit glory be,
as 'twas, and is, and shall be so
to all eternity.

Eternal God, we rejoice today in the gift of life, which
we have received by your grace, and the new life you give
in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank you for
     the love of our families...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     the affection of our friends...
     strength and abilities to serve your purpose today...
     this community in which we live...
     opportunities to give as we have received...

God of grace, we offer our prayers for the needs of
others and commit ourselves to serve them as we have been
served in Jesus Christ. Especially we pray for
     those closest to us, families, friends, neighbors...
                         (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     refugees and homeless men, women and children...
     the outcast and persecuted...
     those from whom we are estranged...
     the church in Africa...
     the Diocese of Raiwind, Pakistan, The Rt Revd Samuel Azariah, Bishop...
     the Diocese of Sialkot, Pakistan, The Rt Revd Samuel Pervez Sant Masih, Bishop...

Faithful God,
the shelter of all who hope in you,
may those who seek your face
be set free from fear and distress,
and come to see your goodness
in the land of the living;
through Jesus Christ, our Light and our Salvation. Amen.

God of all tribes and peoples and tongues,
who called your servant John Coleridge Patteson
to witness in life and death to the gospel of Christ
amongst the peoples of Melanesia:
grant us to hear your call to service
and to respond trustfully and joyfully
to Jesus Christ our Redeemer,

Give us grace to persevere in following Jesus,
in whom is the pattern of true discipleship. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c)
1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

John Coleridge Patteson was born in London in 1827. He attended Balliol
College, Oxford, and graduated in 1849. After a tour of Europe and a study of
languages, he became a fellow of Merton College, Oxford, in 1852. In 1855,
he heard Bishop George Selwyn of New Zealand (11 Apr) call for volunteers
to go the South Pacific to preach the Gospel. He went there, and founded a
school for the education of native Christian workers. He was adept at
languages, and learned twenty-three of the languages spoken in the Polynesian
and Melanesian Islands of the South Pacific. In 1861 he was consecrated
Bishop of Melanesia.
The slave-trade was technically illegal in the South Pacific at that time, but the
laws were only laxly enforced and in fact slave-raiding was a flourishing
business. Patteson was actively engaged in the effort to stamp it out. However,
injured men do not always distinguish friends from foes. After slave-raiders had
attacked the island of Nakapu, in the Santa Cruz group, Patteson and several
companions visited the area. They were assumed to be connected with the
raiders, and Patteson's body was floated back to his ship with five hatchet
wounds in the chest, one for each native who had been killed in the earlier raid.
The death of Bishop Patteson caused an uproar back in England, and
stimulated the government there to take firm measures to stamp out slavery
and the slave trade in its Pacific territories. It was also the seed of a strong and
vigorous Church in Melanesia today. Patteson and his companions died on 20
September 1871.