OREMUS: 19 September 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Sep 18 21:49:29 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Monday, September 19, 2005
Theodore of Tarsus, Archbishop of Canterbury, 690

you protect the poor and defend the just;
in your kingdom, the last becomes first,
the gentle are strong,
and the lowly are exalted.

Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger;*
 do not punish me in your wrath.
Have pity on me, Lord, for I am weak;*
 heal me, Lord, for my bones are racked.
My spirit shakes with terror;*
 how long, O Lord, how long?
Turn, O Lord, and deliver me;*
 save me for your mercy's sake.
For in death no one remembers you;*
 and who will give you thanks in the grave?
I grow weary because of my groaning;*
 every night I drench my bed
   and flood my couch with tears.
My eyes are wasted with grief*
 and worn away because of all my enemies.
Depart from me, all evildoers,*
 for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.
The Lord has heard my supplication;*
 the Lord accepts my prayer.
All my enemies shall be confounded and quake with fear;*
 they shall turn back and suddenly be put to shame.

Psalm 26

Give judgement for me, O Lord,
   for I have lived with integrity;*
 I have trusted in the Lord and have not faltered.
Test me, O Lord, and try me;*
 examine my heart and my mind.
For your love is before my eyes;*
 I have walked faithfully with you.
I have not sat with the worthless,*
 nor do I consort with the deceitful.
I have hated the company of evildoers;*
 I will not sit down with the wicked.
I will wash my hands in innocence, O Lord,*
 that I may go in procession round your altar,
Singing aloud a song of thanksgiving*
 and recounting all your wonderful deeds.
Lord, I love the house in which you dwell*
 and the place where your glory abides.
Do not sweep me away with sinners,*
 nor my life with those who thirst for blood,
Whose hands are full of evil plots,*
 and their right hand full of bribes.
As for me, I will live with integrity;*
 redeem me, O Lord, and have pity on me.
My foot stands on level ground;*
 in the full assembly I will bless the Lord.

A Song of Ezekiel (Ezekiel 36:24-26,28b)

I will take you from the nations,
and gather you from all the countries.

I will sprinkle clean water upon you,
and you shall be clean from all your impurities.

A new heart I will give you,
and put a new spirit within you,

And I will remove from your body the heart of stone
and give you a heart of flesh.

You shall be my people,
and I will be your God.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Matthew 20:20-28]:

The mother of the sons of Zebedee came to him with her
sons, and kneeling before him, she asked a favour of him.
And he said to her, 'What do you want?' She said to him,
'Declare that these two sons of mine will sit, one at
your right hand and one at your left, in your kingdom.'
But Jesus answered, 'You do not know what you are asking.
Are you able to drink the cup that I am about to drink?'
They said to him, 'We are able.' He said to them, 'You
will indeed drink my cup, but to sit at my right hand and
at my left, this is not mine to grant, but it is for
those for whom it has been prepared by my Father.'
When the ten heard it, they were angry with the two
brothers. But Jesus called them to him and said, 'You
know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them,
and their great ones are tyrants over them. It will not
be so among you; but whoever wishes to be great among you
must be your servant, and whoever wishes to be first
among you must be your slave; just as the Son of Man came
not to be served but to serve, and to give his life a
ransom for many.'

For another Biblical reading,
Hosea 1

HYMN
Words: Fred Pratt Green (c)
Tune: Herongate, Brockham, Illsley
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t089.html

The church of Christ in every age,
beset by change but Spirit-led,
must claim and test its heritage
and keep on rising from the dead.

Across the world, across the street,
the victims of injustice cry
for shelter and for bread to eat,
and never live until they die.

The let the servant church arise,
a caring church that longs to be
a partner in Christ's sacrifice,
and clothed in Christ's humanity.

For he alone, whose blood was shed,
can cure the fever in our blood,
and teach us how to share our bread
and feed the starving multitude.

We have no mission but to serve
in full obedience to our Lord:
to care for all, without reserve,
and spread his liberating word.

We praise you, God our creator, for your handiwork in
shaping and sustaining your wondrous creation. Especially
we thank you for
     the miracle of life and the wonder of living...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     particular blessings coming to us in this day...
     the resources of the earth...
     gifts of creative vision and skillful craft...
     the treasure stored in every human life...

We dare to pray for others, God our Savior, claiming your
love in Jesus Christ for the whole world, committing
ourselves to care for those around us in his name.
Especially we pray for
     those who work for the benefit of others...
                         (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     those who cannot work today...
     those who teach and those who learn...
     people who are poor...
     the Church in Europe...
     the Diocese of Shyira, Rwanda, The Rt Revd John Rucyahana Kabango, Bishop...
     the Diocese of Shyogwe, Rwanda, The Rt Revd Jered Kalimba, Bishop...

God of mercy and tenderness,
giver of life and conqueror of death,
look upon our weakness and grief,
and restore us to health,
that we may sing a new song to your praise;
through Jesus Christ our risen Lord. Amen.

Almighty God,
you called your servant Theodore of Tarsus
from Rome to the see of Canterbury,
and gave him gifts of grace and wisdom
to establish unity where there had been division,
and order where there had been chaos:
Create in your Church,
by the operation of your Holy Spirit,
such godly union and concord
that it may proclaim, both by word and example,
the Gospel of the Prince of Peace;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Give us grace to persevere in following Jesus,
in whom is the pattern of true discipleship. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

Hymn (c) 1971 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
In US & Canada:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
www.stainer.co.uk

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c)
1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

When the pagan Anglo-Saxons invaded England, they drove the native Celtic
inhabitants north into Scotland and west into Ireland, Wales, and Cornwall.
The Anglo-Saxons were subsequently converted to Christianity by Celtic
missionaries from the north and west, and Roman and Gallic missionaries from
the south and east. As a result, they ended up with two different "flavors" of
Christianity. The difference was expressed mainly in the form of a
disagreement about the proper method for calculating the date of Easter, a
disagreement which we may suspect was a stand-in for other disagreements a
little more difficult to articulate. In 663, a council was called to settle the
dispute, the Synod of Whitby. It decided in favor of the Roman or continental
way of doing things.
Soon after, the Archbishop of Canterbury died, and the English elected a
successor, Wighard, and sent him to Rome to be consecrated by the Pope.
Wighard died in Rome before he could be consecrated, and the Pope (Vitalian)
took it upon himself to choose a man to fill the vacancy. He consecrated
Theodore of Tarsus (the native city of the Apostle Paul), a learned monk (not a
priest) from the East then living in Rome, 65 years old. This surprising choice
turned out to be a very good one. Theodore was (as Bede put it in his
Ecclesiastical History) "the first archbishop whom all the English obeyed."
Having made a tour of his charge, Theodore filled the vacant bishoprics and in
672 presided over the first council of the entire English Churh, at Hertford. He
established definite territorial boundaries for the various dioceses, and founded
new dioceses where needed. He found the Church of England an unorganized
missionary body, and left it a fully ordered province of the universal Church.
The body of canon law drawn up under his supervision, and his structure of
dioceses and parishes, survived the turmoil of the sixteenth and seventeenth
centuries and are substantially intact today.
He founded a school at Canterbury that trained Christians from both the Celtic
and the Roman traditions, and did much to unite the two groups. The school
was headed by Adrian, an abbot born in Africa but later resident in Italy, who
had been the Pope's first choice for Archbishop, but who had refused and
recommended Theodore instead. Adrian was learned in the Scriptures, a good
administrator, and fluent in Latin and Greek. The school taught Bible, theology
and sacred studies, Latin and Greek (Bede alleges that some of the students
knew these languages as well as they knew English), poetry, astronomy, and
calendar calculation (of some importance for political reasons, as stated
above). Adrian died 9 January 710. Theodore died 19 September 690, being 88
years old. [James Kiefer]