OREMUS: 18 September 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Sep 17 20:01:38 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, September 18, 2005
The Eighteenth Sunday after Pentecost

you protect the poor and defend the just;
in your kingdom, the last becomes first,
the gentle are strong,
and the lowly are exalted.

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;*
 his mercy endures for ever.
Let Israel now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
Let the house of Aaron now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
Let those who fear the Lord now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
I called to the Lord in my distress;*
 the Lord answered by setting me free.
The Lord is at my side, therefore I will not fear;*
 what can anyone do to me?
The Lord is at my side to help me;*
 I will triumph over those who hate me.
It is better to rely on the Lord*
 than to put any trust in flesh.
It is better to rely on the Lord*
 than to put any trust in rulers.
All the ungodly encompass me;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
They hem me in, they hem me in on every side;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
They swarm about me like bees;
   they blaze like a fire of thorns;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
I was pressed so hard that I almost fell,*
 but the Lord came to my help.
The Lord is my strength and my song,*
 and he has become my salvation.
There is a sound of exultation and victory*
 in the tents of the righteous:
'The right hand of the Lord has triumphed!*
 the right hand of the Lord is exalted!
   the right hand of the Lord has triumphed!'
I shall not die, but live,*
 and declare the works of the Lord.
The Lord has punished me sorely,*
 but he did not hand me over to death.
Open for me the gates of righteousness;*
 I will enter them; I will offer thanks to the Lord.
'This is the gate of the Lord;*
 whoever is righteous may enter.'
I will give thanks to you, for you answered me*
 and have become my salvation.
The same stone which the builders rejected*
 has become the chief corner-stone.
This is the Lord's doing,*
 and it is marvellous in our eyes.
On this day the Lord has acted;*
 we will rejoice and be glad in it.
Hosanna, Lord, hosanna!*
 Lord, send us now success.
Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord;*
 we bless you from the house of the Lord.
God is the Lord; he has shined upon us;*
 form a procession with branches
   up to the horns of the altar.
'You are my God and I will thank you;*
 you are my God and I will exalt you.'
Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;*
 his mercy endures for ever.

A Song of Redemption (Colossians 1.13-18a,19,20a)

The Father has delivered us from the dominion of darkness,
and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son;

In whom we have redemption,
the forgiveness of our sins.

He is the image of the invisible God,
the firstborn of all creation.

For in him all things were created,
in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible.

All things were created through him and for him,
he is before all things and in him all things hold together.

He is the head of the body, the Church,
he is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead.

In him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell;
and through him God was pleased to reconcile all things.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Exodus 16:14-31]:

When the layer of dew lifted, there on the surface of the
wilderness was a fine flaky substance, as fine as frost
on the ground. When the Israelites saw it, they said to
one another, 'What is it?' For they did not know what it
was. Moses said to them, 'It is the bread that the LORD
has given you to eat. This is what the LORD has
commanded: "Gather as much of it as each of you needs, an
omer to a person according to the number of persons, all
providing for those in their own tents." ' The Israelites
did so, some gathering more, some less. But when they
measured it with an omer, those who gathered much had
nothing over, and those who gathered little had no
shortage; they gathered as much as each of them needed.
And Moses said to them, 'Let no one leave any of it over
until morning.' But they did not listen to Moses; some
left part of it until morning, and it bred worms and
became foul. And Moses was angry with them. Morning by
morning they gathered it, as much as each needed; but
when the sun grew hot, it melted.
On the sixth day they gathered twice as much food, two
omers apiece. When all the leaders of the congregation
came and told Moses, he said to them, 'This is what the
LORD has commanded: "Tomorrow is a day of solemn rest, a
holy sabbath to the LORD; bake what you want to bake and
boil what you want to boil, and all that is left over put
aside to be kept until morning." ' So they put it aside
until morning, as Moses commanded them; and it did not
become foul, and there were no worms in it. Moses said,
'Eat it today, for today is a sabbath to the LORD; today
you will not find it in the field. For six days you shall
gather it; but on the seventh day, which is a sabbath,
there will be none.'
On the seventh day some of the people went out to gather,
and they found none. The LORD said to Moses, 'How long
will you refuse to keep my commandments and instructions?
See! The LORD has given you the sabbath, therefore on the
sixth day he gives you food for two days; each of you
stay where you are; do not leave your place on the
seventh day.' So the people rested on the seventh day.
The house of Israel called it manna; it was like
coriander seed, white, and the taste of it was like
wafers made with honey.

For another Biblical reading,
Romans 15:7-13

HYMN
Words: Latin, 1661; trans. Hymns Ancient & Modern, 1861
Tune: Magdalen College
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o132.html

O Food that weary pilgrims love,
O Bread of angel-hosts above,
O Manna of the saints,
the hungry soul would feed on thee;
ne'er may the heart unsolaced be
which for thy sweetness faints.

O font of love, O cleansing tide,
which from the Savior's piercŠd side
and sacred heart dost flow,
be ours to drink of thy pure rill,
which only can our spirits fill,
and all our need bestow.

Lord Jesus, whom, by power divine
now hidden 'neath the outward sign,
we worship and adore,
grant, when the veil away is rolled,
with open face we may behold
thyself for evermore.

O God Our Creator,
you have graced us with the gift of life and a world to live in.
Empower and strengthen the witness of your church
that, true to its calling, it may proclaim
your radical and boundless love, in word and deed.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Saving God,
you nourish and sustain us by Word and Sacrament.
Strengthen all the people of our church,
especially our bishops, priests and deacons.
Grant that, sustained in you, our service and witness in this land
may be full of faith and love.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

O God, Source of our life,
you have adopted us in the waters of baptism
and made us your own in love.
We pray that we may embrace our lives and the lives of others
with courage and compassion, unafraid of joy and pain, sickness and health.
May your care be made known in our care.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

God of Justice,
you revealed your power in the servanthood of Jesus.
May those who govern the nations use their authority
in wisdom, kindness and peace.
Awaken in all who govern a thirst for justice
that embodies your care for this earth and the human community.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Liberating God,
you are the hope of the weak and the needy.
Rescue those who suffer poverty, injustice or oppression when they cry out.
Open the ears of our hearts to hear
and quicken in us the fire to respond in love.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Compassionate One,
you are a well-spring of comfort and healing.
Grant comfort, healing and release
to those who suffer illness, distress or grief.
Awaken in us boundless compassion
and use us as agents of lovingkindness.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

God of all generations,
we thank you for the gift of the lives
and the loving service of all who have died.
Keep us in the bonds of love with all the saints throughout the ages
and bring us to the fullness of your reign.
We pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

O God of Love,
hear the prayers of your people.
Enliven us by your Spirit, to live into the fullness of your reign.
We pray through Jesus, our life and our hope. Amen.

Grant us, Lord,
not to be anxious about earthly things,
but to love things heavenly;
and even now, while we are placed among things
that are passing away,
to hold fast to those that shall endure;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Give us grace to persevere in following Jesus,
in whom is the pattern of true discipleship. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is slightly adapted Copyright:   1995, 1999 Evangelical
Lutheran Church in Canada. (Lift Up Your Hearts,  http://www.worship.ca/)

of The Episcopal Church_.