OREMUS: 16 September 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Sep 15 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Friday, September 16, 2005
Edward Bouverie Pusey, Priest, Tractarian, 1882

Blessed are you, Shepherding God,
undaunted you seek the lost,
exultant you bring home the found.
You touch our hearts with grateful wonder
at the tenderness of your forbearing love,
revealed in your Son, Jesus Christ.

Give the king your justice, O God,*
 and your righteousness to the king's son;
That he may rule your people righteously*
 and the poor with justice;
That the mountains may bring prosperity to the people,*
 and the little hills bring righteousness.
He shall defend the needy among the people;*
 he shall rescue the poor and crush the oppressor.
He shall live as long as the sun and moon endure,*
 from one generation to another.
He shall come down like rain upon the mown field,*
 like showers that water the earth.
In his time shall the righteous flourish;*
 there shall be abundance of peace
   till the moon shall be no more.
He shall rule from sea to sea,*
 and from the River to the ends of the earth.
His foes shall bow down before him,*
 and his enemies lick the dust.
The kings of Tarshish and of the isles shall pay tribute,*
 and the kings of Arabia and Saba offer gifts.
All kings shall bow down before him,*
 and all the nations do him service.
For he shall deliver the poor who cries out in distress,*
 and the oppressed who has no helper.
He shall have pity on the lowly and poor;*
 he shall preserve the lives of the needy.
He shall redeem their lives from oppression and violence,*
 and dear shall their blood be in his sight.
Long may he live,
   and may there be given to him gold from Arabia;*
 may prayer be made for him always,
   and may they bless him all the day long.
May there be abundance of grain on the earth,
   growing thick even on the hilltops;*
 may its fruit flourish like Lebanon,
   and its grain like grass upon the earth.
May his name remain for ever
   and be established as long as the sun endures;*
 may all the nations bless themselves in him
   and call him blessed.
Blessed be the Lord God, the God of Israel,*
 who alone does wondrous deeds!
And blessed be his glorious name for ever!*
 and may all the earth be filled with his glory.
   Amen. Amen.

A Song of Repentance (1 John 1:5-9)

This is the message we have heard from Christ
and proclaim to you:
that God is light,
in whom there is no darkness at all.

If we say that we have fellowship with God
while we walk in darkness,
we lie and do not do what is true.

But if we walk in the light
as God is in the light,
we have fellowship with one another.

And the blood of Jesus, the Son of God,
cleanses us from all our sins.

If we say that we have no sin,
we deceive ourselves
and the truth is not in us.

If we confess our sins,
the One who is faithful and just will forgive us
and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

READING [Matthew 19:23-30]:

Jesus said to his disciples, 'Truly I tell you, it will
be hard for a rich person to enter the kingdom of heaven.
Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through
the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter
the kingdom of God.' When the disciples heard this, they
were greatly astounded and said, 'Then who can be saved?'
But Jesus looked at them and said, 'For mortals it is
impossible, but for God all things are possible.'
Then Peter said in reply, 'Look, we have left everything
and followed you. What then will we have?' Jesus said to
them, 'Truly I tell you, at the renewal of all things,
when the Son of Man is seated on the throne of his glory,
you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones,
judging the twelve tribes of Israel. And everyone who has
left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or
children or fields, for my name's sake, will receive a
hundredfold, and will inherit eternal life. But many who
are first will be last, and the last will be first.'

For another Biblical reading,
Ezekiel 32:1-3,9-12

HYMN
Words:   Marnie Barrell, 1989
Tune: St. Catherine's Court
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/barrell/mb13.html

Come to the celebration, all who are hungry,
the best wine is ready, and the loaves of bread;
here he comes, the bridegroom, to welcome the people,
to share out the food and see that all are fed.

Who is invited to the house of the bridegroom,
to live while the dead are left to bury the dead?
Beggars from the roadside, amazed at the asking,
are called to the table where the feast is spread.

What kind of party is this wedding reception?
The first are the last and yet the last are first.
Royal guests of honour are standing and waiting
until all the servants satisfy their thirst.

When shall we come along to share in the feasting?
The day is today, the doors are open wide.
Endless the rejoicing at this celebration -
the Lord is the bridegroom, and his Church the bride.

Come empty-handed when you come to the table;
the drink flows forever, there is ample food.
Taste the wine of heaven and never be thirsty,
and see, as we break the bread, that God is good!

Merciful God, we praise you that you give strength for
every weakness, forgiveness for our failures, and new
beginnings in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank you for
     the guidance of your Spirit through this day...
                                (We thank you, Lord.)
     signs of new life and hope...
     people who have helped us...
     those who struggle for justice...
     expressions of love unexpected or undeserved...

Almighty God, you know all needs before we speak our
prayers, yet you welcome our concerns for others in Jesus
Christ. Especially we pray for
     those who keep watch over the sick and dying...
                                (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     those who weep with the grieving...
     those who are without faith
     and cannot accept your love...
     those who grow old...
     Reformed, Presbyterian, and Lutheran churches...
     the Diocese of Seoul, Korea, The Revd Francis Kyungjo Park, Bishop...
     the Diocese of Seychelles, The Rt Revd French Kitchener Chang-Him, Bishop...

Your kingdom come, O Lord,
with deliverance for the needy,
with peace for the righteous,
with overflowing blessing for all nations,
with glory, honour and praise
   for the only Saviour,
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Grant, O God, that in all time of our testing
we may know your presence and obey your will;
that, following the example
of your servant Edward Bouverie Pusey,
we may with integrity and courage accomplish
what you give us to do,
and endure what you give us to bear;

Grant us delight in the mercy that has found us
and bring all to rejoice at the feast of forgiveness. Amen.

The psalms, first collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c)
1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

Edward Bouverie Pusey (1800--16 September 1882) was competent in
Hebrew, Arabic, and Aramaic, and was Regius Professor of Hebrew at Oxford,
and a canon of Christ Church Cathedral in Oxford, from 1828 until his death.
He wrote two of the Oxford Tracts (on Fasting and on Baptism), and preached
a sermon on the Eucharist that got him suspended from university preaching
for two years. This episode gained publicity for the Tractarian Movement, and
greatly increased the sales of the Tracts. In 1845 he helped to found a convent
in London, the first Anglican convent since the 1500's. His best-known books
defend the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist, and the inerrancy of
Scripture (see his Daniel The Prophet, and The Minor Prophets). In the great
cholera epidemic of 1866, he did outstanding work in caring for the sick. Two
years after his death, his friends and admirers established Pusey House at
Oxford, a library and study center. [James Kiefer]