OREMUS: 11 September 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Sep 10 20:25:04 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, September 11, 2005
The Seventeenth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, Shepherding God,
undaunted you seek the lost,
exultant you bring home the found.
You touch our hearts with grateful wonder
at the tenderness of your forbearing love,
revealed in your Son, Jesus Christ.

Bless the Lord, O my soul,*
 and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul,*
 and forget not all his benefits.
He forgives all your sins*
 and heals all your infirmities;
He redeems your life from the grave*
 and crowns you with mercy and loving-kindness;
He satisfies you with good things,*
 and your youth is renewed like an eagle's.
The Lord executes righteousness*
 and judgement for all who are oppressed.
He made his ways known to Moses*
 and his works to the children of Israel.
The Lord is full of compassion and mercy,*
 slow to anger and of great kindness.
He will not always accuse us,*
 nor will he keep his anger for ever.
He has not dealt with us according to our sins,*
 nor rewarded us according to our wickedness.
For as the heavens are high above the earth,*
 so is his mercy great upon those who fear him.
As far as the east is from the west,*
 so far has he removed our sins from us.
As a father cares for his children,*
 so does the Lord care for those who fear him.
For he himself knows whereof we are made;*
 he remembers that we are but dust.
Our days are like the grass;*
 we flourish like a flower of the field;
When the wind goes over it, it is gone,*
 and its place shall know it no more.
But the merciful goodness of the Lord
   endures for ever on those who fear him,*
 and his righteousness on children's children;
On those who keep his covenant*
 and remember his commandments and do them.
The Lord has set his throne in heaven,*
 and his kingship has dominion over all.
Bless the Lord, you angels of his,
   you mighty ones who do his bidding,*
 and hearken to the voice of his word.
Bless the Lord, all you his hosts,*
 you ministers of his who do his will.
Bless the Lord, all you works of his,
   in all places of his dominion;*
 bless the Lord, O my soul.

Benedicite: A Song of Creation

Bless the Lord all you works of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you heavens:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you angels of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord all people on earth:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

O people of God bless the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you priests of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you servants of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord all you of upright spirit:
 bless the Lord you that are holy and humble in heart;

Bless the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Exodus 15:19-26]:

When the horses of Pharaoh with his chariots and his
chariot drivers went into the sea, the LORD brought back
the waters of the sea upon them; but the Israelites
walked through the sea on dry ground.
Then the prophet Miriam, Aaron's sister, took a
tambourine in her hand; and all the women went out after
her with tambourines and with dancing. And Miriam sang to
them:
'Sing to the LORD, for he has triumphed gloriously;
horse and rider he has thrown into the sea.'
Then Moses ordered Israel to set out from the Red Sea,
and they went into the wilderness of Shur. They went for
three days in the wilderness and found no water. When
they came to Marah, they could not drink the water of
Marah because it was bitter. That is why it was called
Marah. And the people complained against Moses, saying,
'What shall we drink?' He cried out to the LORD; and the
LORD showed him a piece of wood; he threw it into the
water, and the water became sweet.
There the LORD made for them a statute and an ordinance
and there he put them to the test. He said, 'If you will
listen carefully to the voice of the LORD your God, and
do what is right in his sight, and give heed to his
commandments and keep all his statutes, I will not bring
upon you any of the diseases that I brought upon the
Egyptians; for I am the LORD who heals you.'

For another Biblical reading,
Romans 14:13-15:6

HYMN
Words: Fred Kaan (c)
Tune: Alleluia dulce carmen, Westminster Abbey, Picardy
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t698.html

For the healing of the nations,
Lord, we pray with one accord,
for a just and equal sharing
of the things that earth affords.
To a life of love in action
help us rise and pledge our word.

Lead us forward into freedom,
from despair your world release,
that, redeemed from war and hatred,
all may come and go in peace.
Show us how through care and goodness
fear will die and hope increase.

All that kills abundant living,
let it from the earth be banned:
pride of status, race or schooling,
dogmas that obscure your plan.
In our common quest for justice
may we hallow brief life's span.

You, Creator God, have written
your great name on humankind;
for our growing in your likeness
bring the life of Christ to mind;
that by our response and service
earth its destiny may find.

God sent Jesus into the world,
not to condemn the world,
but that the world through him might be saved,
that all who believe in him
might be delivered from the power of sin and death
and become heirs with him of eternal life.

Almighty God,
kindle, we pray, in every heart
the true love of peace,
and guide with your wisdom
those who take counsel for the nations of the earth,
especially George Bush, the President of the United States,
that justice and peace may increase,
until the earth is filled
with the knowledge of your love;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

God of compassion,
you watch our ways,
and weave out of terrible happenings
wonders of goodness and grace.
Surround those who have been shaken by tragedy
with a sense of your present love,
and hold them in faith.
Though they are lost in grief,
may they find you and be comforted;
through Jesus Christ who was dead, but lives
and rules this world with you. Amen.

Eternal God, our only hope,
our help in times of trouble:
show nations ways to work out differences.
Do not let threats multiply
or power be used without compassion.
May your will overrule human willfulness,
so that people may agree and settle claims peacefully.
Restrain those who are impulsive,
lest desire for vengeance overwhelm our common welfare.
Bring peace to earth, through Jesus Christ,
the Prince of Peace and Savior of us all. Amen.

We give you thanks, O God,
for all who have fought the good fight,
finished their race, and kept the faith,
and for those dear to us and to others
who are at rest with you. . . .

Grant us grace to follow them
as they followed Christ.
Bring us, with them, to those things
which no eye has seen, nor ear heard,
which you have prepared for those who love you.
To your name,
with the church on earth and church in heaven,
we ascribe all honor and glory,
forever and ever. Amen.

Grant that wars may cease,
suffering be healed,
hunger be satisfied,
and justice be established,
as we look forward to the day
when wars and suffering,
hunger and injustice,
shall be no more,
and your reign be established,
through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.

Grant us delight in the mercy that has found us
and bring all to rejoice at the feast of forgiveness. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

Hymn (c) 1968 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
In US & Canada:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
www.stainer.co.uk