OREMUS: 10 September 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Sep 9 22:06:20 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Saturday, September 10, 2005

Blessed are you, God of the ages,
you call the Church to keep watch in the world
and to discern the signs of the times.
You call us to proclaim your prophetic word with courage
and with the wisdom bestowed by the Spirit,
that the work you have set before us may be completed.

Let your loving-kindness come to me, O Lord,*
 and your salvation, according to your promise.
Then shall I have a word for those who taunt me,*
 because I trust in your words.
Do not take the word of truth out of my mouth,*
 for my hope is in your judgements.
I shall continue to keep your law;*
 I shall keep it for ever and ever.
I will walk at liberty,*
 because I study your commandments.
I will tell of your decrees before kings*
 and will not be ashamed.
I delight in your commandments,*
 which I have always loved.
I will lift up my hands to your commandments,*
 and I will meditate on your statutes.

Remember your word to your servant,*
 because you have given me hope.
This is my comfort in my trouble,*
 that your promise gives me life.
The proud have derided me cruelly,*
 but I have not turned from your law.
When I remember your judgements of old,*
 O Lord, I take great comfort.
I am filled with a burning rage,*
 because of the wicked who forsake your law.
Your statutes have been like songs to me*
 wherever I have lived as a stranger.
I remember your name in the night, O Lord,*
 and dwell upon your law.
This is how it has been with me,*
 because I have kept your commandments.

You only are my portion, O Lord;*
 I have promised to keep your words.
I entreat you with all my heart,*
 be merciful to me according to your promise.

I have considered my ways*
 and turned my feet towards your decrees.
I hasten and do not tarry*
 to keep your commandments.
Though the cords of the wicked entangle me,*
 I do not forget your law.
At midnight I will rise to give you thanks,*
 because of your righteous judgements.
I am a companion of all who fear you*
 and of those who keep your commandments.
The earth, O Lord, is full of your love;*
 instruct me in your statutes.

A Song of the Righteous (Wisdom 3:1,2a,3b-8)

The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God
 and no torment will ever touch them.

In the eyes of the foolish, they seem to have died;
 but they are at peace.

For though, in the sight of others, they were punished,
 their hope is of immortality.

Having been disciplined a little,
 they will receive great good,
 because God tested them and found them worthy.

Like gold in the furnace, God tried them
 and, like a sacrificial burnt offering, accepted them.

In the time of their visitation, they will shine forth
 and will run like sparks through the stubble.

They will govern nations and rule over peoples
 and God will reign over them for ever.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [Acts 20:17-38]:

>From Miletus he sent a message to Ephesus, asking the
elders of the church to meet him. When they came to him,
he said to them:
'You yourselves know how I lived among you the entire
time from the first day that I set foot in Asia, serving
the Lord with all humility and with tears, enduring the
trials that came to me through the plots of the Jews. I
did not shrink from doing anything helpful, proclaiming
the message to you and teaching you publicly and from
house to house, as I testified to both Jews and Greeks
about repentance towards God and faith towards our Lord
Jesus. And now, as a captive to the Spirit, I am on my
way to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me
there, except that the Holy Spirit testifies to me in
every city that imprisonment and persecutions are waiting
for me. But I do not count my life of any value to
myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry
that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the
good news of God's grace.
'And now I know that none of you, among whom I have gone
about proclaiming the kingdom, will ever see my face
again. Therefore I declare to you this day that I am not
responsible for the blood of any of you, for I did not
shrink from declaring to you the whole purpose of God.
Keep watch over yourselves and over all the flock, of
which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd
the church of God that he obtained with the blood of his
own Son. I know that after I have gone, savage wolves
will come in among you, not sparing the flock. Some even
from your own group will come distorting the truth in
order to entice the disciples to follow them. Therefore
be alert, remembering that for three years I did not
cease night or day to warn everyone with tears. And now I
commend you to God and to the message of his grace, a
message that is able to build you up and to give you the
inheritance among all who are sanctified. I coveted no
one's silver or gold or clothing. You know for yourselves
that I worked with my own hands to support myself and my
companions. In all this I have given you an example that
by such work we must support the weak, remembering the
words of the Lord Jesus, for he himself said, "It is more
blessed to give than to receive."'
When he had finished speaking, he knelt down with them
all and prayed. There was much weeping among them all;
they embraced Paul and kissed him, grieving especially
because of what he had said, that they would not see him
again. Then they brought him to the ship.

For another Biblical reading,
Judith 13:1-20

HYMN
Words: Timothy Dudley-Smith (c)
Tune: Bridegroom
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/n/n056.html

Not for tongues of heaven's angels,
not for wisdom to discern,
not for faith that masters mountains,
for this better gift we yearn:
may love be ours, O Lord.

Love is humble, love is gentle,
love is tender, true, and kind;
love is gracious, ever patient,
generous of heart and mind:
may love be ours, O Lord.

Never jealous, never selfish,
love will not rejoice in wrong;
never boastful nor resentful,
love believes and suffers long:
may love be ours, O Lord.

In the day this world is fading,
faith and hope will play their part;
but when Christ is seen in glory,
love shall reign in every heart:
may love be ours, O Lord.

Make your ways known upon earth, Lord God,
your saving power among all peoples.

Renew your Church in holiness,
especially the Diocese of Saskatchewan, Canada,
The Rt Revd Anthony John Burton, Bishop.
and help us to serve you with joy.

Guide the leaders of this and every nation,
that justice may prevail throughout the world.

Let not the needy be forgotten,
nor the hope of the poor be taken away.

Make us instruments of your peace
and let your glory be over all the earth.

God our Mover,
fill us with joy
that we may regard all of our tasks
as a gift from you,
who showers delights upon those
who hunger and thirst only for him
and not for the things of the world.
We ask this through Jesus Christ,
who followed your will to the cross. Amen.

May God make safe to us each step,
May God open to us each door,
May God make clear to us each road.
May God enfold us in loving arms.Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses phrases from a prayer in
_Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language_.
Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

Hymn (c) 1985 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
For permission to reproduce this hymn in all territories except the UK, Europe
& Africa, contact: Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
For UK, Europe & Africa: contact: Bishop Timothy Dudley-Smith,
9 Ashlands, Ford, Salisbury, Wiltshire  SP4 6DY  England

The intercession is from _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The collect is by Stephen Benner, 2003, and is inspired by phrases from Jean-
Pierre de Caussade

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer by Bruce Prewer, 2001.