OREMUS: 9 September 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Sep 8 19:58:31 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Friday, September 9, 2005
Charles Fuge Lowder, Priest, 1880

Blessed are you, God of the ages,
you call the Church to keep watch in the world
and to discern the signs of the times.
You call us to proclaim your prophetic word with courage
and with the wisdom bestowed by the Spirit,
that the work you have set before us may be completed.

To you I lift up my eyes,*
 to you enthroned in the heavens.
As the eyes of servants look to the hand of their masters,*
 and the eyes of a maid to the hand of her mistress,
So our eyes look to the Lord our God,*
 until he show us his mercy.
Have mercy upon us, O Lord, have mercy,*
 for we have had more than enough of contempt,
Too much of the scorn of the indolent rich,*
 and of the derision of the proud.

Psalm 130

Out of the depths have I called to you, O Lord;
   Lord, hear my voice;*
 let your ears consider well the voice of my supplication.
If you, Lord, were to note what is done amiss,*
 O Lord, who could stand?
For there is forgiveness with you;*
 therefore you shall be feared.
I wait for the Lord; my soul waits for him;*
 in his word is my hope.
My soul waits for the Lord,
   more than the night-watch for the morning,*
 more than the night-watch for the morning.
O Israel, wait for the Lord,*
 for with the Lord there is mercy;
With him there is plenteous redemption,*
 and he shall redeem Israel from all their sins.

The Song of Christ's Glory (Philippians 2:5-11)

Christ Jesus was in the form of God,
 but he did not cling to equality with God.

He emptied himself, taking the form of a servant,
 and was born in our human likeness.

Being found in human form he humbled himself,
 and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross.

Therefore God has highly exalted him,
 and bestowed on him the name above every name.

That at the name of Jesus, every knee should bow,
 in heaven and on earth and under the earth;

And every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
 to the glory of God the Father.

READING [Ephesians 3]:

This is the reason that I Paul am a prisoner for Christ
Jesus for the sake of you Gentiles  for surely you have
already heard of the commission of God's grace that was
given to me for you, and how the mystery was made known
to me by revelation, as I wrote above in a few words, a
reading of which will enable you to perceive my
understanding of the mystery of Christ. In former
generations this mystery was not made known to humankind,
as it has now been revealed to his holy apostles and
prophets by the Spirit: that is, the Gentiles have become
fellow-heirs, members of the same body, and sharers in
the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel.
Of this gospel I have become a servant according to the
gift of God's grace that was given to me by the working
of his power. Although I am the very least of all the
saints, this grace was given to me to bring to the
Gentiles the news of the boundless riches of Christ, and
to make everyone see what is the plan of the mystery
hidden for ages in God who created all things; so that
through the church the wisdom of God in its rich variety
might now be made known to the rulers and authorities in
the heavenly places. This was in accordance with the
eternal purpose that he has carried out in Christ Jesus
our Lord, in whom we have access to God in boldness and
confidence through faith in him. I pray therefore that
you may not lose heart over my sufferings for you; they
are your glory.
For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from
whom every family in heaven and on earth takes its name.
I pray that, according to the riches of his glory, he may
grant that you may be strengthened in your inner being
with power through his Spirit, and that Christ may dwell
in your hearts through faith, as you are being rooted and
grounded in love. I pray that you may have the power to
comprehend, with all the saints, what is the breadth and
length and height and depth, and to know the love of
Christ that surpasses knowledge, so that you may be
filled with all the fullness of God.
Now to him who by the power at work within us is able to
accomplish abundantly far more than all we can ask or
imagine, to him be glory in the church and in Christ
Jesus to all generations, for ever and ever. Amen.

For another Biblical reading,
Judith 12:1-20

HYMN
Words: Latin, fifteenth century; trans. Benjamin Webb, 1854
Tune: Eisenach, Deo gracias, Deus tuorum militum, Eden, Puer nobis nascitur
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o474.html

O love, how deep, how broad, how high,
it fills the heart with ecstasy,
that God, the Son of God, should take
our mortal form for mortals' sake!

He sent no angel to our race
of higher or of lower place,
but wore the robe of human frame
himself, and to this lost world came.

For us baptized, for us he bore
his holy fast and hungered sore,
for us temptation sharp he knew;
for us the tempter overthrew.

For us he prayed; for us he taught;
for us his daily works he wrought;
by words and signs and actions thus
still seeking not himself, but us.

For us to wicked men betrayed,
scourged, mocked, in purple robe arrayed,
he bore the shameful cross and death,
for us at length gave up his breath.

For us he rose from death again;
for us he went on high to reign;
for us he sent his Spirit here,
to guide, to strengthen and to cheer.

To him whose boundless love has won
salvation for us through his Son,
to God the Father, glory be
both now and through eternity.

Blessed are you, eternal God,
to be praised and glorified for ever.

Hear us as we pray for your holy catholic Church,
especially the Diocese of Santiago, Philippines,
The Rt Revd Alexander A Wandag, Bishop:
make us all one, that the world may believe.

Grant that every member of the Church may truly and humbly serve you:
that the life of Christ may be revealed in us.

Strengthen all who minister in Christ's name:
give them courage to proclaim your Gospel.

Inspire and lead those who hold authority in the nations of the world:
guide them in the ways of justice and peace.

Make us alive to the needs of our community:
help us to share each other's joys and burdens.

Look with kindness on our homes and families:
grant that your love may grow in our hearts.

Deepen our compassion for all who suffer from sickness, grief or trouble:
in your presence may they find their strength.

We remember those who have died:
Father, into your hands we commend them.

We praise you for all your saints who have entered your eternal glory:
bring us all to share in your heavenly kingdom.

Sovereign God, enthroned in the heavens,
look upon us with your eyes of mercy
as we look upon you with humility and love
and fill our souls with your peace;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Almighty Father,
you have built up your Church
through the love and devotion of your saints:
Inspire us to follow the example of Charles Fuge Lowder,
whom we commemorate today,
that we in our generation may rejoice with him
in the vision of your glory;

May God make safe to us each step,
May God open to us each door,
May God make clear to us each road.
May God enfold us in loving arms.Amen.

The psalms, the first collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses phrases from a prayer in
_Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language_.
Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is from _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer by Bruce Prewer, 2001.

Charles Lowder was born in 1820 and came under the influence of the Oxford
Movement during his studies at Exeter College in the early 1840s. After
ordination, he became increasingly drawn to a Tractarian and ritualist
expression of the faith, especially after his move to London in 1851, despite the
fierce opposition such Catholic spirituality faced within the Church. As a curate
in Pimlico and Stepney, and then as the first Vicar of St Peter's, London
Docks, Lowder came to epitomise the nineteenth-century Anglo-Catholic 'slum
priest'. Dedicated to the poor and destitute, he was tireless in his parish work.
His health gave way and he died at the age of sixty on this day in 1880.