OREMUS: 5 September 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Sep 4 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Monday, September 5, 2005
Mother Teresa of Calcutta, 1997
[Labor Day, US]

Blessed are you, God of the ages,
you call the Church to keep watch in the world
and to discern the signs of the times.
You call us to proclaim your prophetic word with courage
and with the wisdom bestowed by the Spirit,
that the work you have set before us may be completed.

The Lord said to my lord, 'Sit at my right hand,*
 until I make your enemies your footstool.'
The Lord will send the sceptre of your power
   out of Zion,*
 saying, 'Rule over your enemies round about you.
'Princely state has been yours
   from the day of your birth,*
 in the beauty of holiness have I begotten you,
   like dew from the womb of the morning.'
The Lord has sworn and he will not recant:*
 'You are a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek.'

   I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart,*
 in the assembly of the upright, in the congregation.
Great are the deeds of the Lord!*
 they are studied by all who delight in them.
His work is full of majesty and splendour,*
 and his righteousness endures for ever.
He makes his marvellous works to be remembered;*
 the Lord is gracious and full of compassion.
He gives food to those who fear him;*
 he is ever mindful of his covenant.
He has shown his people the power of his works*
 in giving them the lands of the nations.
The works of his hands are faithfulness and justice;*
 all his commandments are sure.
They stand fast for ever and ever,*
 because they are done in truth and equity.
He sent redemption to his people;
   he commanded his covenant for ever;*
 holy and awesome is his name.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom;*
 those who act accordingly have a good understanding;
   his praise endures for ever.

A Song of God's Children (Romans 8:2,14,15b-19)

The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus
has set us free from the law of sin and death.

All who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God;
for we have received the Spirit that enables us to cry, 'Abba, Father'.

The Spirit himself bears witness that we are children of God
and if God's children, then heirs of God;

If heirs of God, then fellow-heirs with Christ;
since we suffer with him now, that we may be glorified with him.

These sufferings that we now endure
are not worth comparing to the glory that shall be revealed.

For the creation waits with eager longing
for the revealing of the children of God.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Ephesians 1:1-14]:

Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, To
the saints who are in Ephesus and are faithful in Christ
Jesus: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the
Lord Jesus Christ.
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual
blessing in the heavenly places, just as he chose us in
Christ before the foundation of the world to be holy and
blameless before him in love. He destined us for adoption
as his children through Jesus Christ, according to the
good pleasure of his will, to the praise of his glorious
grace that he freely bestowed on us in the Beloved. In
him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness
of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace
that he lavished on us. With all wisdom and insight he
has made known to us the mystery of his will, according
to his good pleasure that he set forth in Christ, as a
plan for the fullness of time, to gather up all things in
him, things in heaven and things on earth. In Christ we
have also obtained an inheritance, having been destined
according to the purpose of him who accomplishes all
things according to his counsel and will, so that we, who
were the first to set our hope on Christ, might live for
the praise of his glory. In him you also, when you had
heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation,
and had believed in him, were marked with the seal of the
promised Holy Spirit; this is the pledge of our
inheritance towards redemption as God's own people, to
the praise of his glory.

For another Biblical reading,
Judith 7:1-7,19-32

HYMN
Words: Shirley Erena Murray, alt.
Tune: Rhuddlan
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g203.html

God of freedom, God of justice,
God whose love is strong as death,
God who saw the dark of prison,
God who knew the price of faith:
touch our world of sad oppression
with your Spirit's healing breath.

Rid the earth of torture's terror,
God whose hands were nailed to wood;
hear the cries of pain and protest,
God who shed the tears and blood;
move in us the power of pity,
restless for the common good.

Make in us a captive conscience
quick to hear, to act, to plead;
make us truly sisters, brothers,
of whatever race or creed:
teach us to be fully human,
open to each other's need.

Let us offer our prayers to God, who pronounced
all creation good, who sent his Son to live and
work as one like us, and who calls us to serve the poor and
those oppressed.

For all those who work:
Lord, give success to the work of our hands.

For those who are unemployed or underemployed, or have lost their jobs
because of changing economic conditions, let us pray:
Lord, give success to the work of our hands.

For those who work in hazardous conditions without sufficient protection, let us pray:
Lord, give success to the work of our hands.

For migrant workers and all who work the land, let us pray:
Lord, give success to the work of our hands.

For all employers that they may seek to provide a just work environment:
Lord, give success to the work of our hands.

For those who face discrimination, harassment, or abuse in the workplace, let us pray:
Lord, give success to the work of our hands.

For those who must balance job commitments with the needs of their family, let us pray:
Lord, give success to the work of our hands.

Loving God,
through your Son you gave us an example to love one another as he loved us.
Give us the strength to continue working to bring forth your kingdom here on earth
a kingdom of justice and peace, kindness and compassion, grace and mercy.
Grant this through Christ, our Lord. Amen.

Almighty God,
whose Son Jesus Christ in his earthly life
shared our toil and hallowed our labor:
Be present with your people where they work;
make those who carry on the industries and commerce of this land
responsive to your will;
and give to us all a pride in what we do,
and a just return for our labor;
through Jesus Christ our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you,

God of compassion,
you regard the forsaken
and give hope to the crushed in spirit
give us grace like your servant Mother Teresa
to hear those who cry to you in distress,
that they may be joined to the company
of those who raise a song of thanksgiving
to your glory, O Father,
through the Son and in the Holy Spirit. Amen.

May God make safe to us each step,
May God open to us each door,
May God make clear to us each road.
May God enfold us in loving arms.Amen.

The psalms, the second collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses phrases from a prayer in
_Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language_.
Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

Hymn (c) 1992 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
In all territories except New Zealand, Australia & Asia:
Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
In New Zealand, Australia & Asia:  ShirleyErena Murray,
serenam at paradise.net.nz

The intercession is by Patrick Gorman of the Roman Catholic Diocese of
Madison and comes from the National Interfaith Committee for Worker
Justice, http://www.nicwj.org

The first collect is from The Book of Common Prayer_ (1979),
Charles Mortimer Guilbert, Custodian.

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer by Bruce Prewer, 2001.