OREMUS: 4 September 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Sep 3 17:00:00 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, September 4, 2005
The Sixteenth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, God of the ages,
you call the Church to keep watch in the world
and to discern the signs of the times.
You call us to proclaim your prophetic word with courage
and with the wisdom bestowed by the Spirit,
that the work you have set before us may be completed.

O God, you are my God; eagerly I seek you;*
 my soul thirsts for you, my flesh faints for you,
   as in a barren and dry land where there is no water;
Therefore I have gazed upon you in your holy place,*
 that I might behold your power and your glory.
For your loving-kindness is better than life itself;*
 my lips shall give you praise.
So will I bless you as long as I live*
 and lift up my hands in your name.
My soul is content, as with marrow and fatness,*
 and my mouth praises you with joyful lips,
When I remember you upon my bed,*
 and meditate on you in the night watches.
For you have been my helper,*
 and under the shadow of your wings I will rejoice.
My soul clings to you;*
 your right hand holds me fast.

Psalm 93

The Lord is king; he has put on splendid apparel;*
 the Lord has put on his apparel
   and girded himself with strength.
He has made the whole world so sure*
 that it cannot be moved;
Ever since the world began,
   your throne has been established;*
 you are from everlasting.
The waters have lifted up, O Lord,
   the waters have lifted up their voice;*
 the waters have lifted up their pounding waves.
Mightier than the sound of many waters,
   mightier than the breakers of the sea,*
 mightier is the Lord who dwells on high.
Your testimonies are very sure,*
 and holiness adorns your house, O Lord,
   for ever and for evermore.

Psalm 100

Be joyful in the Lord, all you lands;*
 serve the Lord with gladness
   and come before his presence with a song.
Know this: The Lord himself is God;*
 he himself has made us and we are his;
   we are his people and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving;
   go into his courts with praise;*
 give thanks to him and call upon his name.
For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting;*
 and his faithfulness endures from age to age.

A Song of the New Creation (Isaiah 43:15-21)

'I am the Lord, your Holy One,
the Creator of Israel, your king.'

Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea,
a path in the mighty waters,

'Remember not the former things,
nor consider the things of old.

'Behold, I am doing a new thing;
now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?

'I will make a way in the wilderness
and rivers in the desert,
to give drink to my chosen people,

'The people whom I formed for myself,
that they might declare my praise.'

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Exodus 13:11-22]:

'When the LORD has brought you into the land of the
Canaanites, as he swore to you and your ancestors, and
has given it to you, you shall set apart to the LORD all
that first opens the womb. All the firstborn of your
livestock that are males shall be the LORD's. But every
firstborn donkey you shall redeem with a sheep; if you do
not redeem it, you must break its neck. Every firstborn
male among your children you shall redeem. When in the
future your child asks you, "What does this mean?" you
shall answer, "By strength of hand the LORD brought us
out of Egypt, from the house of slavery. When Pharaoh
stubbornly refused to let us go, the LORD killed all the
firstborn in the land of Egypt, from human firstborn to
the firstborn of animals. Therefore I sacrifice to the
LORD every male that first opens the womb, but every
firstborn of my sons I redeem." It shall serve as a sign
on your hand and as an emblem on your forehead that by
strength of hand the LORD brought us out of Egypt.'
When Pharaoh let the people go, God did not lead them by
way of the land of the Philistines, although that was
nearer; for God thought, 'If the people face war, they
may change their minds and return to Egypt.' So God led
the people by the roundabout way of the wilderness
towards the Red Sea. The Israelites went up out of the
land of Egypt prepared for battle. And Moses took with
him the bones of Joseph, who had required a solemn oath
of the Israelites, saying, 'God will surely take notice
of you, and then you must carry my bones with you from
here.' They set out from Succoth, and camped at Etham, on
the edge of the wilderness. The LORD went in front of
them in a pillar of cloud by day, to lead them along the
way, and in a pillar of fire by night, to give them
light, so that they might travel by day and by night.
Neither the pillar of cloud by day nor the pillar of fire
by night left its place in front of the people.

For another Biblical reading,
James 2:1-13

HYMN
Words: Dorothy Ann Thrupp, 1836
Tune: Sicilian Mariners
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/s029.html

Savior, like a shepherd lead us;
much we need thy tender care;
in thy pleasant pastures feed us;
for our use thy folds prepare.
Blessed Jesus! Blessed Jesus!
Thou hast bought us, thine we are.

Early let us seek thy favor,
early let us learn thy will;
blessed Lord and only Savior,
with thy love our bosoms fill.
Blessed Jesus! Blessed Jesus!
Thou hast loved us: love us still.

God of of the broken-hearted
the streets of your kingdom
are flooded with our tears,
for we have no other place
to offer them.

Bearer of pain
you heard the wailing of Rachel,
the loud laments in Ramah;
hear the cries of
our sisters and brothers in New Orleans,
whose babies have no milk,
whose parents have no oxygen,
whose lives have no future.

Repairer of streets
comfort those who see houses
slipping into the sea;
who watch bodies floating by;
who look for rescue in their distress.

Builder of communities
give those who have experienced
terror and loss
a vision of recovery and peace;
give those who have lost everything
a future filled with hope;
give those who wander lost and afraid,
a people who will embrace them
and give them life. Amen.

O God,
you know us to be set in the midst
of so many and so great dangers
that by reason of the frailty of our nature
we cannot always stand upright:
Grant to us such strength and protection
as may support us in all dangers
and carry us through all temptations;

May God make safe to us each step,
May God open to us each door,
May God make clear to us each road.
May God enfold us in loving arms.Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses phrases from a prayer in
_Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language_.
Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is (c) Thom M. Shuman, 2005. Used with permission.

The collect is from _A Prayer Book for Australia_. (c) 1995,
The Anglican Church of Australia Trust Corporation.

The closing prayer is adapted from a prayer by Bruce Prewer, 2001.