OREMUS: 31 October 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Oct 30 21:24:06 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Monday, October 31, 2005

Blessed are you, Holy God,
your justice is without partiality
and your  mercy embraces all who live.
You have shown us through your Son
that through love of you and our neighbor,
hatred may yield to forgiveness
and quarrels give way to reconciliation.

Lord, you have searched me out and known me;*
 you know my sitting down and my rising up;
   you discern my thoughts from afar.
You trace my journeys and my resting-places*
 and are acquainted with all my ways.
Indeed, there is not a word on my lips,*
 but you, O Lord, know it altogether.
You press upon me behind and before*
 and lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;*
 it is so high that I cannot attain to it.
Where can I go then from your Spirit?*
 where can I flee from your presence?
If I climb up to heaven, you are there;*
 if I make the grave my bed, you are there also.
If I take the wings of the morning*
 and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
Even there your hand will lead me*
 and your right hand hold me fast.
If I say, 'Surely the darkness will cover me,*
 and the light around me turn to night',
Darkness is not dark to you;
   the night is as bright as the day;*
 darkness and light to you are both alike.
For you yourself created my inmost parts;*
 you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I will thank you because I am marvellously made;*
 your works are wonderful and I know it well.
My body was not hidden from you,*
 while I was being made in secret
   and woven in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes beheld my limbs, yet unfinished in the womb;
   all of them were written in your book;*
 they were fashioned day by day,
   when as yet there was none of them.
How deep I find your thoughts, O God!*
 how great is the sum of them!
If I were to count them,
   they would be more in number than the sand;*
 to count them all,
   my life span would need to be like yours.
Search me out, O God, and know my heart;*
 try me and know my restless thoughts.
Look well whether there be any wickedness in me*
 and lead me in the way that is everlasting.

A Song of Divine Love (1 Corinthians 13:4-13)

Love is patient and kind,
 love is not jealous or boastful,
 it is not arrogant or rude.

Love does not insist on its own way,
 It is not angry or resentful.

It does not rejoice in wrongdoing
 but rejoices in the truth.

Love bears all things and believes all things;
 love hopes all things and endures all things.

Love will never come to an end,
 but prophecy will vanish,
 tongues cease and knowledge pass away.

Now we know only in part
 and we prophesy only in part,

But when the perfect comes,
 the partial shall pass away.

When I was a child, I spoke like a child,
 I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child.

But when I became mature,
 I put an end to childish ways.

For now we see only puzzling reflections in a mirror,
 but then we will see face to face.

Now I know only in part;
 then I shall know fully,
 even as I have been fully known.

There are three things that last for ever,
  faith, hope and love,
 but the greatest of these is love.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Matthew 23:37-24:2]:

Jesus said, 'Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who
are sent to it! How often have I desired to gather your children together as a hen
gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing! See, your house is left to
you, desolate. For I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, "Blessed is the
one who comes in the name of the Lord." '
As Jesus came out of the temple and was going away, his disciples came to point out
to him the buildings of the temple. Then he asked them, 'You see all these, do you
not? Truly I tell you, not one stone will be left here upon another; all will be thrown
down.'

For another Biblical reading,
Daniel 8:1-14

HYMN
Words: Latin, seventh century; trans. John Mason Neale, 1851
Tune: Westminster Abbey
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c063.html

Christ is made the sure foundation,
Christ the head and cornerstone,
chosen of the Lord, and precious,
binding all the Church in one;
holy Zion's help for ever,
and her confidence alone.

All that dedicated city,
dearly loved of God on high,
in exultant jubilation
pours perpetual melody;
God the One in Three adoring
in glad hymns eternally.

To this temple, where we call thee,
come, O Lord of Hosts, today;
with thy wonted loving-kindness
hear thy servants as they pray,
and thy fullest benediction
shed within its walls alway.

Here vouchsafe to all thy servants
what they ask of thee of gain;
what they gain from thee, for ever
with the blessŠd to retain,
and hereafter in thy glory
evermore with thee to reign.

Laud and honor to the Father,
laud and honor to the Son,
laud and honor to the Spirit,
ever Three, and ever One,
consubstantial, co-eternal,
while unending ages run.

Merciful God,
you give us every good gift.
Hear our prayers which we now offer
through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

We pray for your Church, especially the Diocese of
Sunyani, The Rt Revd Thomas Ampah Brient, Bishop.
May our divisions be healed,
that we may go into the world proclaiming your Good News.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

We pray for the physical and spiritual well-being
of our family and friends,
that they may rejoice in your mercy and love
and share in your joy in your heavenly Kingdom.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

We pray for those who work,
especially those who are stressed or overwhelmed,
that they may know you are their refuge and strength.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

We pray for those who are persecuted
for fighting for justice and liberty,
that they may remember that you are the source
of all things just and free.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

Lord,
who created and fashioned us,
who knows us and searches us out,
who abides with us through light and dark:
help us to know your presence in this life
and, in the life to come, still to be with you;
where you are alive and reign,
God, for ever and ever. Amen.

May the coming of Christ in glory find us
ever watchful in prayer,
strong in truth and love,
and faithful in the breaking of the bread.
Then, at last, all peoples will be free,
and all divisions healed. Amen.

The psalms, collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

The closing prayer use phrases from a prayer in _Book of Common
Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

The intercession is by Stephen Benner.