OREMUS: 30 October 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Oct 29 17:00:05 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, October 30, 2005
The Twenty-Fourth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, Holy God,
your justice is without partiality
and your  mercy embraces all who live.
You have shown us through your Son
that through love of you and our neighbor,
hatred may yield to forgiveness
and quarrels give way to reconciliation.

As the deer longs for the water-brooks,*
 so longs my soul for you, O God.
My soul is athirst for God, athirst for the living God;*
 when shall I come to appear before the presence of God?
My tears have been my food day and night,*
 while all day long they say to me,
   'Where now is your God?'
I pour out my soul when I think on these things:*
 how I went with the multitude
   and led them into the house of God,
With the voice of praise and thanksgiving,*
 among those who keep holy-day.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.
My soul is heavy within me;*
 therefore I will remember you from the land of Jordan,
   and from the peak of Mizar among the heights of Hermon.
One deep calls to another in the noise of your cataracts;*
 all your rapids and floods have gone over me.
The Lord grants his loving-kindness in the daytime;*
 in the night season his song is with me,
   a prayer to the God of my life.
I will say to the God of my strength,
   'Why have you forgotten me?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?'
While my bones are being broken,*
 my enemies mock me to my face;
All day long they mock me*
 say to me, 'Where now is your God?'
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

Psalm 43

Give judgement for me, O God,
   and defend my cause against an ungodly people;*
 deliver me from the deceitful and the wicked.
For you are the God of my strength;
   why have you put me from you?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?
Send out your light and your truth,
   that they may lead me,*
 and bring me to your holy hill
   and to your dwelling;
That I may go to the altar of God,
   to the God of my joy and gladness;*
 and on the harp I will give thanks to you,
   O God my God.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

Benedicite: A Song of Creation

Bless the Lord all you works of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you heavens:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you angels of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord all people on earth:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

O people of God bless the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you priests of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you servants of the Lord:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord all you of upright spirit:
 bless the Lord you that are holy and humble in heart;

Bless the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit:
 sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Joshua 4:1-9]:

When the entire nation had finished crossing over the
Jordan, the LORD said to Joshua: 'Select twelve men from
the people, one from each tribe, and command them, "Take
twelve stones from here out of the middle of the Jordan,
from the place where the priests' feet stood, carry them
over with you, and lay them down in the place where you
camp tonight." ' Then Joshua summoned the twelve men from
the Israelites, whom he had appointed, one from each
tribe. Joshua said to them, 'Pass on before the ark of
the LORD your God into the middle of the Jordan, and each
of you take up a stone on his shoulder, one for each of
the tribes of the Israelites, so that this may be a sign
among you. When your children ask in time to come, "What
do those stones mean to you?" then you shall tell them
that the waters of the Jordan were cut off in front of
the ark of the covenant of the LORD. When it crossed over
the Jordan, the waters of the Jordan were cut off. So
these stones shall be to the Israelites a memorial for
ever.'
The Israelites did as Joshua commanded. They took up
twelve stones out of the middle of the Jordan, according
to the number of the tribes of the Israelites, as the
LORD told Joshua, carried them over with them to the
place where they camped, and laid them down there.
(Joshua set up twelve stones in the middle of the Jordan,
in the place where the feet of the priests bearing the
ark of the covenant had stood; and they are there to this
day.)

For another Biblical reading,
Matthew 23:13-26

HYMN
Words:  Isaac Watts, 1707
Tune: Beulah, Capel, Mendip
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t439.html

There is a land of pure delight,
where saints immortal reign,
infinite day excludes the night,
and pleasures banish pain.

There everlasting spring abides,
and never-withering flowers:
death, like a narrow sea, divides
this heavenly land from ours.

Sweet fields beyond the swelling flood
stand dressed in living green:
so to the Jews old Canaan stood,
while Jordan rolled between.

But timorous mortals start and shrink
to cross this narrow sea;
and linger, shivering on the brink,
and fear to launch away.

O could we make our doubts remove,
those gloomy thoughts that rise,
and see the Canaan that we love
with unbeclouded eyes!

Could we but climb where Moses stood,
and view the landscape o'er,
not Jordan's stream, nor death's cold flood,
should fright us from the shore.

Sovereign God,
we have no father but you, no teacher but Christ.
Hear our prayers as we respond: "Hear our prayer."

For the Church:
that we make God central in our lives
and allow our hearts to be formed by Christ our Teacher.
Merciful God,
hear our prayer.

For all member of the Christian Community:
that we may manifest Christ in our words and deeds
and faithfully lead the world to greater love and deeper unity
Merciful God,
hear our prayer.

For discerning hearts:
that we may hear the Word of God as it comes to us in Scripture,
in preaching, and in the words of those who love us
Merciful God,
hear our prayer.

For the grace of humility:
that we may relate with one another as companions on the journey
and strive to serve the needs of one another with compassion.

Gracious God,
we thank you that you speak to us in many ways.
You speak in the lives and actions of others,
you speak through our conscience,
you speak to us in times of quiet
and in the words of others.
Help us to listen for you,
for your word of comfort,
for your word of criticism,
for your word of reassurance
and help us to give thanks at all times for your love. Amen.

May the coming of Christ in glory find us
ever watchful in prayer,
strong in truth and love,
and faithful in the breaking of the bread.
Then, at last, all peoples will be free,
and all divisions healed. Amen.

The closing prayer use phrases from a prayer in _Book of Common
Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.