OREMUS: 29 October 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Oct 28 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Saturday, October 29, 2005
James Hannington, Bishop of Eastern Equatorial Africa, Martyr in Uganda, 1885

Blessed are you, Holy God,
your justice is without partiality
and your  mercy embraces all who live.
You have shown us through your Son
that through love of you and our neighbor,
hatred may yield to forgiveness
and quarrels give way to reconciliation.

   I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart,*
 in the assembly of the upright, in the congregation.
Great are the deeds of the Lord!*
 they are studied by all who delight in them.
His work is full of majesty and splendour,*
 and his righteousness endures for ever.
He makes his marvellous works to be remembered;*
 the Lord is gracious and full of compassion.
He gives food to those who fear him;*
 he is ever mindful of his covenant.
He has shown his people the power of his works*
 in giving them the lands of the nations.
The works of his hands are faithfulness and justice;*
 all his commandments are sure.
They stand fast for ever and ever,*
 because they are done in truth and equity.
He sent redemption to his people;
   he commanded his covenant for ever;*
 holy and awesome is his name.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom;*
 those who act accordingly have a good understanding;
   his praise endures for ever.

A Song of the Righteous (Wisdom 3:1,2a,3b-8)

The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God
 and no torment will ever touch them.

In the eyes of the foolish, they seem to have died;
 but they are at peace.

For though, in the sight of others, they were punished,
 their hope is of immortality.

Having been disciplined a little,
 they will receive great good,
 because God tested them and found them worthy.

Like gold in the furnace, God tried them
 and, like a sacrificial burnt offering, accepted them.

In the time of their visitation, they will shine forth
 and will run like sparks through the stubble.

They will govern nations and rule over peoples
 and God will reign over them for ever.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [Luke 6:17-31]:

Jesus came down with them and stood on a level place,
with a great crowd of his disciples and a great multitude
of people from all Judea, Jerusalem, and the coast of
Tyre and Sidon. They had come to hear him and to be
healed of their diseases; and those who were troubled
with unclean spirits were cured. And all in the crowd
were trying to touch him, for power came out from him and
healed all of them.

Then he looked up at his disciples and said:
'Blessed are you who are poor,
   for yours is the kingdom of God.
'Blessed are you who are hungry now,
   for you will be filled.
'Blessed are you who weep now,
   for you will laugh.

'Blessed are you when people hate you, and when they
exclude you, revile you, and defame you on account of the
Son of Man. Rejoice on that day and leap for joy, for
surely your reward is great in heaven; for that is what
their ancestors did to the prophets.
'But woe to you who are rich,
   for you have received your consolation.
'Woe to you who are full now,
   for you will be hungry.
'Woe to you who are laughing now,
   for you will mourn and weep.

'Woe to you when all speak well of you, for that is what
their ancestors did to the false prophets.

'But I say to you that listen, Love your enemies, do good
to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray
for those who abuse you. If anyone strikes you on the
cheek, offer the other also; and from anyone who takes
away your coat do not withhold even your shirt. Give to
everyone who begs from you; and if anyone takes away your
goods, do not ask for them again. Do to others as you
would have them do to you.'

For another Biblical reading,
Daniel 7:19-27

HYMN
Words: John Keble, 1820
Tune: Abends, Angelus, Hursley
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/s366.html

Sun of my soul, thou Savior dear,
it is not night if thou be near;
O may no earthborn cloud arise
to hide thee from thy servant's eyes.

When the soft dews of kindly sleep
my wearied eyelids gently steep,
be my last thought, how sweet to rest
forever on my Savior's breast.

Abide with me from morn till eve,
for without thee I cannot live;
abide with me when night is nigh,
for without thee I dare not die.

If some poor wandering child of thine
has spurned today the voice divine,
now, Lord, the gracious work begin;
let him no more lie down in sin.

Watch by the sick, enrich the poor
with blessings from thy boundless store;
be every mourner's sleep tonight,
like infants' slumbers, pure and right.

Come near and bless us when we wake,
ere through the world our way we take,
till in the ocean of thy love
we lose ourselves in heaven above.

In your glory, Lord, protect us by the power of your name:
that we may be one as you are one.

We are in the world but not of it:
protect us from the evil one.

Give us your word and the full measure of your joy:
sanctify us by your truth.

May your Spirit unite us in the love and glory of Father and Son;
we pray especially for your Church in the Diocese of
St Edmundsbury & Ipswich, England,
The Rt Revd John Hubert Richard Lewis, Bishop.
may we be one that the world may believe.

As you sent your Son into the world:
so send us, to make your glory known.

The works of your hands are justice and truth,
gracious God, full of compassion.
May we who long for your kingdom to come
rejoice to do your will
and acknowledge your power alone to save;

May the coming of Christ in glory find us
ever watchful in prayer,
strong in truth and love,
and faithful in the breaking of the bread.
Then, at last, all peoples will be free,
and all divisions healed. Amen.

The canticle and the collect are from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer,
Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The closing prayer use phrases from a prayer in _Book of Common
Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

The intercession is from _Patterns for Worship_, material from
which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops'
Council, 1995.