OREMUS: 27 October 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Oct 26 23:53:25 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Thursday, October 27, 2005

Blessed are you, Holy God,
your justice is without partiality
and your  mercy embraces all who live.
You have shown us through your Son
that through love of you and our neighbor,
hatred may yield to forgiveness
and quarrels give way to reconciliation.

How dear to me is your dwelling, O Lord of hosts!*
 My soul has a desire and longing
   for the courts of the Lord;
   my heart and my flesh rejoice in the living God.
The sparrow has found her a house
   and the swallow a nest
   where she may lay her young;*
 by the side of your altars, O Lord of hosts,
   my King and my God.
Happy are they who dwell in your house!*
 they will always be praising you.
Happy are the people whose strength is in you!*
 whose hearts are set on the pilgrims' way.
Those who go through the desolate valley
   will find it a place of springs,*
 for the early rains have covered it with pools of water.
They will climb from height to height,*
 and the God of gods will reveal himself in Zion.
Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer;*
 hearken, O God of Jacob.
Behold our defender, O God;*
 and look upon the face of your anointed.
For one day in your courts
   is better than a thousand in my own room,*
 and to stand at the threshold of the house of my God
   than to dwell in the tents of the wicked.
For the Lord God is both sun and shield;*
 he will give grace and glory;
No good thing will the Lord withhold*
 from those who walk with integrity.
O Lord of hosts,*
 happy are they who put their trust in you!

 before the gods I will sing your praise.
I will bow down towards your holy temple
   and praise your name,*
 because of your love and faithfulness;
For you have glorified your name*
 and your word above all things.
When I called, you answered me;*
 you increased my strength within me.
All the kings of the earth will praise you, O Lord,*
 when they have heard the words of your mouth.
They will sing of the ways of the Lord,*
 that great is the glory of the Lord.
Though the Lord be high, he cares for the lowly;*
 he perceives the haughty from afar.
Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
   you keep me safe;*
 you stretch forth your hand
   against the fury of my enemies;
   your right hand shall save me.
The Lord will make good his purpose for me;*
 O Lord, your love endures for ever;
   do not abandon the works of your hands.

A Song of Tobit (Tobit 13:1,3-6a)

Blessed be God, who lives for ever,
whose reign endures throughout all ages.

Declare God's praise before the nations,
you who are the children of Israel.

For if our God has scattered you among them,
there too has he shown you his greatness.

Exalt him in the sight of the living,
because he is our Lord and God and our Father for ever.

Though God punishes you for your wickedness,
mercy will be shown to you all.

God will gather you from every nation,
from wherever you have been scattered.

When you turn to the Lord
with all your heart and soul,
God will hide his face from you no more.

See what the Lord has done for you
and give thanks with a loud voice.

Praise the Lord of righteousness
and exalt the King of the ages.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Joshua 3:1-6]:

Early in the morning Joshua rose and set out from Shittim
with all the Israelites, and they came to the Jordan.
They camped there before crossing over. At the end of
three days the officers went through the camp and
commanded the people, 'When you see the ark of the
covenant of the LORD your God being carried by the
levitical priests, then you shall set out from your
place. Follow it, so that you may know the way you should
go, for you have not passed this way before. Yet there
shall be a space between you and it, a distance of about
two thousand cubits; do not come any nearer to it.' Then
Joshua said to the people, 'Sanctify yourselves; for
tomorrow the LORD will do wonders among you.' To the
priests Joshua said, 'Take up the ark of the covenant,
and pass on in front of the people.' So they took up the
ark of the covenant and went in front of the people.

For another Biblical reading,
Galatians 5:2-14

HYMN
Words: Fred Pratt Green (c)
Tune: Ar hyd y nos
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f211.html

For the fruit of all creation,
thanks be to God.
gifts bestowed on every nation,
thanks be to God.
For the plowing, sowing, reaping,
silent growth while we are sleeping,
future needs in earth's safekeeping,
thanks be to God.

In the just reward of labor,
God's will is done.
In the help we give our neighbor,
God's will is done.
In our worldwide task of caring
for the hungry and despairing,
in the harvests we are sharing,
God's will is done.

For the harvests of the Spirit,
thanks be to God.
For the good we all inherit,
thanks be to God.
For the wonders that astound us,
for the truths that still confound us,
most of all that love has found us,
thanks be to God.

We pray for the family of the church, for loving relationships,
and for the life of families around us, saying
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, born in poverty and soon a refugee,
be with families today who are poor
and live in hunger and want. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who grew in wisdom and in favor with God and the people
in the family of Joseph the carpenter,
bring wisdom and the presence of God
into the work and growth of families today. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who blessed marriage in the wedding at Cana,
be with those preparing for marriage
and with those who come to the end of their resources. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who healed Peter's mother in law,
bring healing to hurt relationships and families today. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who on the cross said,
'Mother, behold your son',
provide today for those who lose their families,
the bereaved and childless, orphans and widows. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who on the seashore provided food for the disciples,
bring the whole Church on earth and in heaven
 into your risen presence to eat at the eternal banquet.
We pray especially for the Diocese of
St David's, Wales, The Rt Revd Carl Norman Cooper, Bishop.
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

God of pilgrims,
teach us to recognize your dwelling place
in the love, generosity, and support of those
with whom we share our journey,
and help us to worship you
in our response to those who need our care;
for all the world is your temple
and every human heart is a sign of your presence,
made known to us in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

May the coming of Christ in glory find us
ever watchful in prayer,
strong in truth and love,
and faithful in the breaking of the bread.
Then, at last, all peoples will be free,
and all divisions healed. Amen.

The closing prayer use phrases from a prayer in _Book of Common
Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

Hymn (c) 1970 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
In US & Canada:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
www.stainer.co.uk

The intercession is from  _Patterns for Worship_, material from
which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops'
Council, 1995.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com