OREMUS: 25 October 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Oct 24 23:26:04 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Blessed are you, Holy God,
your justice is without partiality
and your  mercy embraces all who live.
You have shown us through your Son
that through love of you and our neighbor,
hatred may yield to forgiveness
and quarrels give way to reconciliation.

I will bless the Lord at all times;*
 his praise shall ever be in my mouth.
I will glory in the Lord;*
 let the humble hear and rejoice.
Proclaim with me the greatness of the Lord;*
 let us exalt his name together.
I sought the Lord and he answered me*
 and delivered me out of all my terror.
Look upon him and be radiant,*
 and let not your faces be ashamed.
I called in my affliction and the Lord heard me*
 and saved me from all my troubles.
The angel of the Lord
   encompasses those who fear him,*
 and he will deliver them.
Taste and see that the Lord is good;*
 happy are they who trust in him!
Fear the Lord, you that are his saints,*
 for those who fear him lack nothing.
The young lions lack and suffer hunger,*
 but those who seek the Lord
   lack nothing that is good.
Come, children, and listen to me;*
 I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
Who among you loves life*
 and desires long life to enjoy prosperity?
Keep your tongue from evil-speaking*
 and your lips from lying words.
Turn from evil and do good;*
 seek peace and pursue it.
The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous,*
 and his ears are open to their cry.
The face of the Lord is against those who do evil,*
 to root out the remembrance of them from the earth.
The righteous cry and the Lord hears them*
 and delivers them from all their troubles.
The Lord is near to the brokenhearted*
 and will save those whose spirits are crushed.
Many are the troubles of the righteous,*
 but the Lord will deliver him out of them all.
He will keep safe all his bones;*
 not one of them shall be broken.
Evil shall slay the wicked,*
 and those who hate the righteous will be punished.
The Lord ransoms the life of his servants,*
 and none will be punished who trust in him.

A Song of the Wilderness (Isaiah 35.1,2b-4a,4c-6,10)

The wilderness and the dry land shall rejoice,
the desert shall blossom and burst into song.

They shall see the glory of the Lord,
the majesty of our God.

Strengthen the weary hands,
and make firm the feeble knees.

Say to the anxious, 'Be strong, fear not,
your God is coming with judgement,
coming with judgement to save you.'

Then shall the eyes of the blind be opened,
and the ears of the deaf unstopped;

Then shall the lame leap like a hart,
and the tongue of the dumb sing for joy.

For waters shall break forth in the wilderness,
and streams in the desert;

The ransomed of the Lord shall return with singing,
with everlasting joy upon their heads.

Joy and gladness shall be theirs,
and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

READING [Joshua 2:1-14]:

Joshua son of Nun sent two men secretly from Shittim as
spies, saying, 'Go, view the land, especially Jericho.'
So they went, and entered the house of a prostitute whose
name was Rahab, and spent the night there. The king of
Jericho was told, 'Some Israelites have come here tonight
to search out the land.' Then the king of Jericho sent
orders to Rahab, 'Bring out the men who have come to you,
who entered your house, for they have come only to search
out the whole land.' But the woman took the two men and
hid them. Then she said, 'True, the men came to me, but I
did not know where they came from. And when it was time
to close the gate at dark, the men went out. Where the
men went I do not know. Pursue them quickly, for you can
overtake them.' She had, however, brought them up to the
roof and hidden them with the stalks of flax that she had
laid out on the roof. So the men pursued them on the way
to the Jordan as far as the fords. As soon as the
pursuers had gone out, the gate was shut.
Before they went to sleep, she came up to them on the
roof and said to the men: 'I know that the LORD has given
you the land, and that dread of you has fallen on us, and
that all the inhabitants of the land melt in fear before
you. For we have heard how the LORD dried up the water of
the Red Sea before you when you came out of Egypt, and
what you did to the two kings of the Amorites that were
beyond the Jordan, to Sihon and Og, whom you utterly
destroyed. As soon as we heard it, our hearts failed, and
there was no courage left in any of us because of you.
The LORD your God is indeed God in heaven above and on
earth below. Now then, since I have dealt kindly with
you, swear to me by the LORD that you in turn will deal
kindly with my family. Give me a sign of good faith that
you will spare my father and mother, my brothers and
sisters, and all who belong to them, and deliver our
lives from death.' The men said to her, 'Our life for
yours! If you do not tell this business of ours, then we
will deal kindly and faithfully with you when the LORD
gives us the land.'

For another Biblical reading,
Galatians 3:15-29

HYMN
Words:  Frank Mason North, 1903
Tune: Gardiner
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w404.html

Where cross the crowded ways of life,
where sound the cries of race and clan,
above the noise of selfish strife,
we hear thy voice, O Son of Man.

In haunts of wretchedness and need,
on shadowed thresholds dark with fears,
from paths where hide the lures of greed,
we catch the vision of thy tears.

>From tender childhoods helplessness,
from woman's grief, man's burdened toil,
from famished souls, from sorrow's stress,
thy heart has never known recoil.

The cup of water given for thee
still holds the freshness of thy grace;
yet long these multitudes to see
the sweet compassion of thy face.

O Master, from the mountain side,
make haste to heal these hearts of pain;
among these restless throngs abide,
O tread the city's streets again;

Till all the world shall learn thy love,
and follow where thy feet have trod;
till glorious from thy heaven above,
shall come the city of our God.

Ever-present Spirit of God,
as we abide with you and you with us,
we cry out for our brothers and sisters:
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

For all who suffer want, loneliness or depression:
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

For racial, cultural and national groups
who suffer prejudice, oppressive leaders
or economic exploitation.
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

For the Church in every place,
especially the Diocese of St Andrew's, Dunkeld & Dunblane, Scotland,
The Rt Revd David Robert Chillingworth, Bishop.
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

For the Church in those places where it suffers
blindness, controversy, disorientation,
persecution or change.
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

For those we have to tried to love and serve today.
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

Hear us, Lord, when we cry to you.
Calm our bodies and minds with the peace
which passes understanding,
and make us radiant with the knowledge of your goodness;
through Jesus Christ our Savior. Amen.

May the coming of Christ in glory find us
ever watchful in prayer,
strong in truth and love,
and faithful in the breaking of the bread.
Then, at last, all peoples will be free,
and all divisions healed. Amen.

The closing prayer use phrases from a prayer in _Book of Common
Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _THE DAILY
OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint
Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com