OREMUS: 24 October 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Oct 23 21:03:20 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Monday, October 24, 2005

Blessed are you, Holy God,
your justice is without partiality
and your  mercy embraces all who live.
You have shown us through your Son
that through love of you and our neighbor,
hatred may yield to forgiveness
and quarrels give way to reconciliation.

I love the Lord,
   because he has heard the voice of my supplication,*
 because he has inclined his ear to me
   whenever I called upon him.
The cords of death entangled me;
   the grip of the grave took hold of me;*
 I came to grief and sorrow.
Then I called upon the name of the Lord:*
 'O Lord, I pray you, save my life.'
Gracious is the Lord and righteous;*
 our God is full of compassion.
The Lord watches over the innocent;*
 I was brought very low and he helped me.
Turn again to your rest, O my soul,*
 for the Lord has treated you well.
For you have rescued my life from death,*
 my eyes from tears and my feet from stumbling.
I will walk in the presence of the Lord*
 in the land of the living.
I believed, even when I said,
   'I have been brought very low.'*
 In my distress I said, 'No one can be trusted.'
How shall I repay the Lord*
 for all the good things he has done for me?
I will lift up the cup of salvation*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
Precious in the sight of the Lord*
 is the death of his servants.
O Lord, I am your servant;*
 I am your servant and the child of your handmaid;
   you have freed me from my bonds.
I will offer you the sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
In the courts of the Lord's house,*
 in the midst of you, O Jerusalem.
   Alleluia!

A Song of God's Children (Romans 8:2,14,15b-19)

The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus
has set us free from the law of sin and death.

All who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God;
for we have received the Spirit that enables us to cry, 'Abba, Father'.

The Spirit himself bears witness that we are children of God
and if God's children, then heirs of God;

If heirs of God, then fellow-heirs with Christ;
since we suffer with him now, that we may be glorified with him.

These sufferings that we now endure
are not worth comparing to the glory that shall be revealed.

For the creation waits with eager longing
for the revealing of the children of God.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Joshua 1:1-18]:

After the death of Moses the servant of the LORD, the
LORD spoke to Joshua son of Nun, Moses' assistant,
saying, 'My servant Moses is dead. Now proceed to cross
the Jordan, you and all this people, into the land that I
am giving to them, to the Israelites. Every place that
the sole of your foot will tread upon I have given to
you, as I promised to Moses. From the wilderness and the
Lebanon as far as the great river, the river Euphrates,
all the land of the Hittites, to the Great Sea in the
west shall be your territory. No one shall be able to
stand against you all the days of your life. As I was
with Moses, so I will be with you; I will not fail you or
forsake you. Be strong and courageous; for you shall put
this people in possession of the land that I swore to
their ancestors to give them. Only be strong and very
courageous, being careful to act in accordance with all
the law that my servant Moses commanded you; do not turn
from it to the right hand or to the left, so that you may
be successful wherever you go. This book of the law shall
not depart out of your mouth; you shall meditate on it
day and night, so that you may be careful to act in
accordance with all that is written in it. For then you
shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall be
successful. I hereby command you: Be strong and
courageous; do not be frightened or dismayed, for the
LORD your God is with you wherever you go.'
Then Joshua commanded the officers of the people, 'Pass
through the camp, and command the people: "Prepare your
provisions; for in three days you are to cross over the
Jordan, to go in to take possession of the land that the
LORD your God gives you to possess." '
To the Reubenites, the Gadites, and the half-tribe of
Manasseh Joshua said, 'Remember the word that Moses the
servant of the LORD commanded you, saying, "The LORD your
God is providing you a place of rest, and will give you
this land." Your wives, your little ones, and your
livestock shall remain in the land that Moses gave you
beyond the Jordan. But all the warriors among you shall
cross over armed before your kindred and shall help them,
until the LORD gives rest to your kindred as well as to
you, and they too take possession of the land that the
LORD your God is giving them. Then you shall return to
your own land and take possession of it, the land that
Moses the servant of the LORD gave you beyond the Jordan
to the east.'
They answered Joshua: 'All that you have commanded us we
will do, and wherever you send us we will go. Just as we
obeyed Moses in all things, so we will obey you. Only may
the LORD your God be with you, as he was with Moses!
Whoever rebels against your orders and disobeys your
words, whatever you command, shall be put to death. Only
be strong and courageous.'

For another Biblical reading,
Galatians 3:1-14

HYMN
Words: William Watkins Reid, Jr. (c)
Tune: Llangloffan
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o175.html

O God of every nation,
of every race and land,
redeem the whole creation
with your almighty hand;
where hate and fear divide us
and bitter threats are hurled,
in love and mercy guide us
and heal our strife-torn world.

>From search for wealth and power
and scorn of truth and right,
from trust in bombs that shower
destruction through the night,
from pride of race and nation
and blindness to your way,
deliver every nation,
eternal God, we pray!

Lord, strengthen all who labor
that we may find release
from fear of rattling saber,
from dread of war's increase;
when hope and courage falter,
your still small voice be heard;
with faith that none can alter,
your servants undergird.

Keep bright in us the vision
of days when war shall cease,
when hatred and division
give way to love and peace,
till dawns the morning glorious
when truth and justice reign
and Christ shall rule victorious
o'er all the world's domain.

Let us cry out to God
for peace and a time of healing.

For all bishops,
for this holy gathering,
and for the people of God in every place.
Strong God of Love, hear our prayer.

For mercy, justice, and peace among all peoples.
Strong God of Love, hear our prayer.

For good weather,
abundant fruits of the earth,
and peaceful times.
Strong God of Love, hear our prayer.

For our city and those who live in it,
and for our families, companions, and all those we love.
Strong God of Love, hear our prayer.

For all those in danger and need:
the sick and the suffering,
travelers and strangers,
and all with heavy burdens.
Strong God of Love, hear our prayer.

For those who rest in Christ and for all the dead.
Strong God of Love, hear our prayer.

For our deliverance from all affliction, strife, and need.
Strong God of Love, hear our prayer.

Lifting our voices with all creation,
let us offer ourselves and one another
to the living God through Christ.
To you, O Lord.

O God,
who alone can probe the depths of the heart,
you hear the prayer of the humble
and justify the repentant sinner:
Grant us the gift of humility,
that we see our own sins clearly
and refrain from judging our neighbor.
We make our prayer through your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

May the coming of Christ in glory find us
ever watchful in prayer,
strong in truth and love,
and faithful in the breaking of the bread.
Then, at last, all peoples will be free,
and all divisions healed. Amen.

The closing prayer use phrases from a prayer in _Book of Common
Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

The intercession is by Ormonde Plater; the response is by Stephen Benner.