OREMUS: 22 October 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Oct 21 19:19:35 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Saturday, October 22, 2005

Blessed are you, tireless Guardian of your people,
you are always ready to hear the cry of your chosen ones;
you teach us to rely day and night on your care.
You impel us to seek your enduring justice
and your ever-present help
revealed in your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

O Lord, your word is everlasting;*
 it stands firm in the heavens.
Your faithfulness remains
   from one generation to another;*
 you established the earth and it abides.
By your decree these continue to this day,*
 for all things are your servants.
If my delight had not been in your law,*
 I should have perished in my affliction.
I will never forget your commandments,*
 because by them you give me life.
I am yours; O that you would save me!*
 for I study your commandments.
Though the wicked lie in wait for me to destroy me,*
 I will apply my mind to your decrees.
I see that all things come to an end,*
 but your commandment has no bounds.

O how I love your law!*
 all the day long it is in my mind.
Your commandment has made me wiser
   than my enemies,*
 and it is always with me.
I have more understanding than all my teachers,*
 for your decrees are my study.
I am wiser than the elders,*
 because I observe your commandments.
I restrain my feet from every evil way,*
 that I may keep your word.
I do not shrink from your judgements,*
 because you yourself have taught me.
How sweet are your words to my taste!*
 they are sweeter than honey to my mouth.
Through your commandments I gain understanding;*
 therefore I hate every lying way.

Your word is a lantern to my feet*
 and a light upon my path.
I have sworn and am determined*
 to keep your righteous judgements.
I am deeply troubled;*
 preserve my life, O Lord, according to your word.
Accept, O Lord, the willing tribute of my lips,*
 and teach me your judgements.
My life is always in my hand,*
 yet I do not forget your law.
The wicked have set a trap for me,*
 but I have not strayed from your commandments.
Your decrees are my inheritance for ever;*
 truly, they are the joy of my heart.
I have applied my heart to fulfil your statutes*
 for ever and to the end.

A Song of God's Love (1 John 4:7-11,12b)
Beloved, let us love one another,
for love is of God;
everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.

Whoever does not love does not know God,
for God is love.

In this the love of God was revealed among us,
that God sent his only Son into the world,
so that we might live through him.

In this is love,
not that we loved God but that he loved us,
and sent his Son to be the expiation for our sins.

Beloved, since God loved us so much,
we ought also to love one another.

For if we love one another, God abides in us,
and God's love will be perfected in us.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [Ecclesiastes 11:1-6]:

Send out your bread upon the waters,
   for after many days you will get it back.
Divide your means seven ways, or even eight,
   for you do not know what disaster may happen on earth.
When clouds are full,
   they empty rain on the earth;
whether a tree falls to the south or to the north,
   in the place where the tree falls, there it will lie.
Whoever observes the wind will not sow;
   and whoever regards the clouds will not reap.

Just as you do not know how the breath comes to the bones
in the mother's womb, so you do not know the work of God,
who makes everything.

In the morning sow your seed, and at evening do not let
your hands be idle; for you do not know which will
prosper, this or that, or whether both alike will be
good.

For another Biblical reading,
2 Timothy 2:1-7

HYMN
Words: Robert Murray, 1897
Tune: Everton
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/s286.html

Sow the seed beside all waters,
north and south and east and west,
that our toiling sons and daughters
in the harvest may be blessed.
Tell the tidings of salvation
'mid the storms of Labrador;
speak the word of consolation
by the lone Pacific shore.

Where the forests old are falling,
yielding place to lawn and lea;
where the fisher plies his calling
'mid the perils of the sea;
where the tide of commerce rushes
through the city's crowded street,
and unpitying mammon crushes
poor and weak beneath his feet.

Where our brothers, sowing, reaping,
delving for the hidden ore,
now with joy and now with weeping
labor to increase their store;
where the stranger wanders lonely
in the homeless wilderness,
tell of Jesus, Jesus only,
who alone can save and bless.

Tell how tenderly he careth
for the weary and oppressed,
how their burdens all he beareth,
as he leads them to his rest;
tell that he, the Lord from heaven,
died for all and lives again,
all through him may be forgiven,
all with him in glory reign.

Tell his love beyond all telling,
seeking, following those who flee,
love rebellious hearts compelling
to his service glad and free.
Thus a precious harvest gather,
north and south and east and west,
to the glory of the Father,
Son and Spirit ever blest.

In your glory, Lord, protect us by the power of your name:
that we may be one as you are one.

We are in the world but not of it:
protect us from the evil one.

Give us your word and the full measure of your joy:
sanctify us by your truth.

May your Spirit unite us in the love and glory of Father and Son;
we pray especially for your Church in the Diocese of
St Albans, England, The Rt Revd Christopher Herbert, Bishop.
may we be one that the world may believe.

As you sent your Son into the world:
so send us, to make your glory known.

Loving God, our Father,
you gave your Son Jesus
to be knitted and fastened to our souls
by good will and a great desire for him:
Grant us that Spirit
which opens the eyes of our mind
to that spiritual knowledge of you.
We ask this through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Grant us boldness to desire a place in your kingdom,
the courage to drink the cup of suffering,
and the grace to find in service
the glory you promise. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The collect is by Stephen Benner, 2003, and is based on a passage from The
Scale of Perfection by Walter Hilton, 14th century

The intercession is from _Patterns for Worship_, material from
which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops'
Council, 1995.