OREMUS: 21 October 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Oct 20 17:00:00 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Friday, October 21, 2005

Blessed are you, O God, the rock of our salvation,

whose gifts can never fail.

You deepen the faith you have already bestowed

and let its power be seen in your servants.

Give the king your justice, O God,*
 and your righteousness to the king's son;
That he may rule your people righteously*
 and the poor with justice;
That the mountains may bring prosperity to the people,*
 and the little hills bring righteousness.
He shall defend the needy among the people;*
 he shall rescue the poor and crush the oppressor.
He shall live as long as the sun and moon endure,*
 from one generation to another.
He shall come down like rain upon the mown field,*
 like showers that water the earth.
In his time shall the righteous flourish;*
 there shall be abundance of peace
   till the moon shall be no more.
He shall rule from sea to sea,*
 and from the River to the ends of the earth.
His foes shall bow down before him,*
 and his enemies lick the dust.
The kings of Tarshish and of the isles shall pay tribute,*
 and the kings of Arabia and Saba offer gifts.
All kings shall bow down before him,*
 and all the nations do him service.
For he shall deliver the poor who cries out in distress,*
 and the oppressed who has no helper.
He shall have pity on the lowly and poor;*
 he shall preserve the lives of the needy.
He shall redeem their lives from oppression and violence,*
 and dear shall their blood be in his sight.
Long may he live,
   and may there be given to him gold from Arabia;*
 may prayer be made for him always,
   and may they bless him all the day long.
May there be abundance of grain on the earth,
   growing thick even on the hilltops;*
 may its fruit flourish like Lebanon,
   and its grain like grass upon the earth.
May his name remain for ever
   and be established as long as the sun endures;*
 may all the nations bless themselves in him
   and call him blessed.
Blessed be the Lord God, the God of Israel,*
 who alone does wondrous deeds!
And blessed be his glorious name for ever!*
 and may all the earth be filled with his glory.
   Amen. Amen.

A Song of the Justified (Romans 4.24,25; 5.1-5,8,9,11)

God reckons as righteous those who believe,

who believe in him who raised Jesus from the dead;

For Christ was handed over to death for our sins,

and raised to life for our justification.

Since we are justified by faith,

we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Through Christ we have gained access

to the grace in which we stand,

and rejoice in our hope of the glory of God.

We even exult in our sufferings,

for suffering produces endurance,

And endurance brings hope,

and our hope is not in vain,

Because God's love has been poured into our hearts,

through the Holy Spirit, given to us.

God proves his love for us:

while we were yet sinners Christ died for us.

Since we have been justified by his death,

how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath.

Therefore, we exult in God through our Lord Jesus Christ,

in whom we have now received our reconciliation.

READING [Deuteronomy 31:14-23]:

And the LORD said to Moses, "Behold, the days approach when you must die; call Joshua, and
present yourselves in the tent of meeting, that I may commission him." And Moses and Joshua
went and presented themselves in the tent of meeting. And the LORD appeared in the tent in a
pillar of cloud; and the pillar of cloud stood by the door of the tent. And the LORD said to
Moses, "Behold, you are about to sleep with your fathers; then this people will rise and play the
harlot after the strange gods of the land, where they go to be among them, and they will forsake
me and break my covenant which I have made with them. Then my anger will be kindled against
them in that day, and I will forsake them and hide my face from them, and they will be devoured;
and many evils and troubles will come upon them, so that they will say in that day, `Have not
these evils come upon us because our God is not among us?' And I will surely hide my face in
that day on account of all the evil which they have done, because they have turned to other gods.
Now therefore write this song, and teach it to the people of Israel; put it in their mouths, that this
song may be a witness for me against the people of Israel. For when I have brought them into the
land flowing with milk and honey, which I swore to give to their fathers, and they have eaten and
are full and grown fat, they will turn to other gods and serve them, and despise me and break my
covenant. And when many evils and troubles have come upon them, this song shall confront
them as a witness (for it will live unforgotten in the mouths of their descendants); for I know the
purposes which they are already forming, before I have brought them into the land that I swore to
give." So Moses wrote this song the same day, and taught it to the people of Israel. And the
LORD commissioned Joshua the son of Nun and said, "Be strong and of good courage; for you
shall bring the children of Israel into the land which I swore to give them: I will be with you."

For another Biblical reading,

Galatians 2:11-21

HYMN

Words: Henry Williams Baker, 1861

Tune: Ravenshaw

<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l464.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l464.html

Lord, thy Word abideth,

and our footsteps guideth;

who its truth believeth

light and joy receiveth.

When our foes are near us,

then thy Word doth cheer us,

Word of consolation,

message of salvation.

When the storms are o'er us,

and dark clouds before us,

then its light directeth,

and our way protecteth.

Who can tell the pleasure,

who recount the treasure,

by thy Word imparted

to the simple-hearted?

Word of mercy, giving

succor to the living;

word of life, supplying

comfort to the dying!

O that we, discerning,

its most holy learning,

Lord, may love and fear thee,

evermore be near thee!

The Benedictus (Morning),
the

Magnificat (Evening), or

Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:

Faithful God, Lord of all,

we offer our prayers to you

for a world in need.

Lord of the Church, we pray for your people throughout the world,

that we may be one in the witness of saving love

and glorify you with one mind and mouth.

Faithful God,

hear our prayer.

Head of the Body,

give us wisdom to follow your commandments,

to live peacefully and do justly,

and to walk humbly with you.

Faithful God,

hear our prayer.

Creator and ruler of the universe,

give to all who exercise authority

wisdom and virtue to govern justly

and bring peace across the land.

Faithful God,

hear our prayer.

Source of all compassion,

give to all who suffer

the light of your presence and the caring of your people,

to bring calm and comfort.

Faithful God,

hear our prayer.

Giver of good to all,

take from us any evil thought or will

that we may forgive those who offend us or seek our harm

as you have forgiven us.

Faithful God,

hear our prayer.

All-knowing One, you who see us as we are

and know us as we should be:

forgive our sins, set us free from fear,

and give us lives abundant with your guiding presence,

that we may be yours for ever,

through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Majestic God,

you led your people like a flock

and delivered them by your mighty power in times of old:

do not forget your people in their troubles

and raise up your power

to sustain the poor and helpless,

for the honour of your Name. Amen.

Bless the work entrusted to our hands,

that we may offer you an abundance of just works,

a rich harvest of peace. Amen.

The psalms, the first collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is adapted by Stephen Benner from a prayer by Arlene M.

Mark, from _Words for Worship_; used by permission of Herald

Press.