OREMUS: 19 October 2005

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Wed Oct 19 00:11:14 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Wednesday, October 19, 2005
Henry Martyn, Translator of the Scriptures,
Missionary in India and Persia, 1812

Blessed are you, tireless Guardian of your people,
you are always ready to hear the cry of your chosen ones;
you teach us to rely day and night on your care.
You impel us to seek your enduring justice
and your ever-present help
revealed in your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion,*
  which cannot be moved, but stands fast for ever.
The hills stand about Jerusalem;*
  so does the Lord stand round about his people,
    from this time forth for evermore.
The sceptre of the wicked shall not hold sway
    over the land allotted to the just,*
  so that the just shall not put their hands to evil.
Show your goodness, O Lord, to those who are good*
  and to those who are true of heart.
As for those who turn aside to crooked ways,
    the Lord will lead them away with the evildoers;*
  but peace be upon Israel.

Psalm 126
When the Lord restored the fortunes of Zion,*
  then were we like those who dream.
Then was our mouth filled with laughter,*
  and our tongue with shouts of joy.
Then they said among the nations,*
  ‘The Lord has done great things for them.’
The Lord has done great things for us,*
  and we are glad indeed.
Restore our fortunes, O Lord,*
  like the watercourses of the Negev.
Those who sowed with tears*
  will reap with songs of joy.
Those who go out weeping, carrying the seed,*
  will come again with joy, shouldering their sheaves.

Psalm 127
Unless the Lord builds the house,*
  their labour is in vain who build it.
Unless the Lord watches over the city,*
  in vain the guard keeps vigil.
It is in vain that you rise so early
    and go to bed so late;*
  vain, too, to eat the bread of toil,
    for he gives to his belovèd sleep.
Children are a heritage from the Lord,*
  and the fruit of the womb is a gift.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior*
  are the children of one’s youth.
Happy are they who have their quiver full of them!*
  they shall not be put to shame
    when they contend with their enemies in the gate.

A Song of the Word of the Lord (Isaiah 55:6-11)

Seek the Lord while he may be found,
call upon him while he is near;

Let the wicked abandon their ways,
and the unrighteous their thoughts;

Return to the Lord,
who will have mercy;
to our God, who will richly pardon.

'For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways', says the Lord.

'For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

'As the rain and the snow come down from above,
and return not again but water the earth,

'Bringing forth life and giving growth,
seed for sowing and bread to eat,

'So is my word that goes forth from my mouth;
it will not return to me fruitless,

'But it will accomplish that which I purpose,
and succeed in the task I gave it.'

Psalm 147:13-end
Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
  praise your God, O Zion;
  he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
  and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
  he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
  who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [Deuteronomy 30:11-20]:

Surely, this commandment that I am commanding you today is not too hard for
you, nor is it too far away. It is not in heaven, that you should say, 'Who
will go up to heaven for us, and get it for us so that we may hear it and
observe it?' Neither is it beyond the sea, that you should say, 'Who will
cross to the other side of the sea for us, and get it for us so that we may
hear it and observe it?' No, the word is very near to you; it is in your
mouth and in your heart for you to observe.

See, I have set before you today life and prosperity, death and adversity.
If you obey the commandments of the LORD your God that I am commanding you
today, by loving the LORD your God, walking in his ways, and observing his
commandments, decrees, and ordinances, then you shall live and become
numerous, and the LORD your God will bless you in the land that you are
entering to possess. But if your heart turns away and you do not hear, but
are led astray to bow down to other gods and serve them, I declare to you
today that you shall perish; you shall not live long in the land that you
are crossing the Jordan to enter and possess. I call heaven and earth to
witness against you today that I have set before you life and death,
blessings and curses. Choose life so that you and your descendants may
live, loving the LORD your God, obeying him, and holding fast to him; for
that means life to you and length of days, so that you may live in the land
that the LORD swore to give to your ancestors, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to
Jacob.

For another Biblical reading, Galatians 1:11-24

HYMN
Words: Margaret Clarkson ©
Tune: Kingsfold

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o825.html

Our cities cry to you, O God,
from out their pain and strife;
you made us for yourself alone,
but we choose empty life.
Our goals are pleasure, gold, and power;
injustice stalks our earth;
in vain we seek for rest, for joy,
for sense of human worth.

Yet still you walk our streets, O Christ!
We know your presence here,
where humble Christians love and serve
in godly grace and fear.
O Word made flesh, be seen in us!
May all we see and do
affirm you God incarnate
and turn sad hearts to you!

Your people are your hands and feet
to serve your world today;
our lives, the book our cities read
to help them find your way.
O pour your sovereign Spirit out
on heart and will and brain:
inspire your Church with love and power
to ease our cities' pain!

O healing Savior, Prince of Peace,
salvation's source and sum,
for you our broken cities cry--
O come, Lord Jesus, come!
With truth your royal diadem,
with righteousness your rod,
O come, Lord Jesus, bring to earth
the city of our God!

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
We pray for the use of God's gifts to his Church, saying
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy, hear us

God our Father,
you give us gifts that we may work together
in the service of your Son:
Bless those who lead,
that they may be firm in faith,
yet humble before you.
We pray especially for the people of the Diocese
of Southwestern Virginia, USA, The Rt Revd Frank Neff Powell, Bishop.
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who teach,
that they may increase our understanding,
and be open to your word for them:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who minister healing,
that they may bring wholeness to other,
yet know your healing in themselves:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those through whom you speak,
that they may proclaim your word in power,
yet have their ears open to your gentle whisper:
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who work in your world today
that they may live for you, fulfil your purposes,
and seek your kingdom first
in the complexity of their daily lives.
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Bless those who feel they have no gifts and are not valued,
and those who are powerless by the world's standards,
that they may share their experience
of the work of your Spirit.
Jesus, Lord of your Church:
in your mercy hear us.

Lord, you are ever watchful,
you bless us with your gifts,
you provide for all our needs:
help us to build only what pleases you;

who by your Holy Spirit gave Henry Martyn
a longing to tell the good news of Christ
and skill to translate the Scriptures:
by the same Spirit give us grace to offer you our gifts,
wherever you may lead, at whatever the cost;

Grant us boldness to desire a place in your kingdom,
the courage to drink the cup of suffering,
and the grace to find in service
the glory you promise. Amen.

The psalms and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from Celebrating
Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used
with permission.

The canticle is from Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition,
copyright © The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing prayer use phrases from
a prayer in Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language. Canterbury
Press, Norwich, 1999.

The collect is from Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of
England, material from which is included in this service is copyright © The
Archbishops' Council, 2000.

Hymn © 1987 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL 60188.
All rights reserved. Used by permission
For permission to reproduce this hymn, contact: Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com