OREMUS: 18 October 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Oct 17 23:11:56 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Tuesday, October 18 , 2005
Saint Luke the Evangelist

for making the mystery of Christ your Son
known to us through the scriptures,
the work of those enlightened by your Holy Spirit.
Through these writings which have become
a fertile seed for all generations
the words and acts of the Savior
bear rich fruit to your praise and glory.

I will exalt you, O God my King,*
 and bless your name for ever and ever.
Every day will I bless you*
 and praise your name for ever and ever.
Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised;*
 there is no end to his greatness.
One generation shall praise your works to another*
 and shall declare your power.
I will ponder the glorious splendour of your majesty*
 and all your marvellous works.
They shall speak of the might of your wondrous acts,*
 and I will tell of your greatness.
They shall publish the remembrance
   of your great goodness;*
 they shall sing of your righteous deeds.
The Lord is gracious and full of compassion,*
 slow to anger and of great kindness.
The Lord is loving to everyone*
 and his compassion is over all his works.
All your works praise you, O Lord,*
 and your faithful servants bless you.
They make known the glory of your kingdom*
 and speak of your power;
That the peoples may know of your power*
 and the glorious splendour of your kingdom.
Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom;*
 your dominion endures throughout all ages.
The Lord is faithful in all his words*
 and merciful in all his deeds.
The Lord upholds all those who fall;*
 he lifts up those who are bowed down.
The eyes of all wait upon you, O Lord,*
 and you give them their food in due season.
You open wide your hand*
 and satisfy the needs of every living creature.
The Lord is righteous in all his ways*
 and loving in all his works.
The Lord is near to those who call upon him,*
 to all who call upon him faithfully.
He fulfils the desire of those who fear him,*
 he hears their cry and helps them.
The Lord preserves all those who love him,*
 but he destroys all the wicked.
My mouth shall speak the praise of the Lord;*
 let all flesh bless his holy name for ever and ever.

A Song of the Justified (Romans 4.24,25; 5.1-5,8,9,11)

God reckons as righteous those who believe,
who believe in him who raised Jesus from the dead;

For Christ was handed over to death for our sins,
and raised to life for our justification.

Since we are justified by faith,
we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Through Christ we have gained access
to the grace in which we stand,
and rejoice in our hope of the glory of God.

We even exult in our sufferings,
for suffering produces endurance,

And endurance brings hope,
and our hope is not in vain,

Because God's love has been poured into our hearts,
through the Holy Spirit, given to us.

God proves his love for us:
while we were yet sinners Christ died for us.

Since we have been justified by his death,
how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath.

Therefore, we exult in God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
in whom we have now received our reconciliation.

READING [Acts 16:6-12a]:

They went through the region of Phrygia and Galatia,
having been forbidden by the Holy Spirit to speak the
word in Asia. When they had come opposite Mysia, they
attempted to go into Bithynia, but the Spirit of Jesus
did not allow them; so, passing by Mysia, they went down
to Troas. During the night Paul had a vision: there stood
a man of Macedonia pleading with him and saying, 'Come
over to Macedonia and help us.' When he had seen the
vision, we immediately tried to cross over to Macedonia,
being convinced that God had called us to proclaim the
good news to them.
We set sail from Troas and took a straight course to
Samothrace, the following day to Neapolis, and from there
to Philippi, which is a leading city of the district of
Macedonia and a Roman colony. We remained in this city
for some days.

For another Biblical reading,
Isaiah 35:3-6

HYMN
Words: Hardwicke Drummond Rawnsley, 1906
Tune: Jesus ist das sch"nste Licht
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/s043.html

Savior, who didst healing give,
still in power go before us;
thou through death didst men live,
unto fuller life restore us;
strength from thee the fainting found,
deaf men heard, the blind went seeing;
at thy touch was banished sickness,
and the leper felt new being.

Thou didst work thy deeds of old
through the loving hands of others;
still thy mercies manifold
bless men by the hands of brothers;
angels still before thy face
go, sweet health to brothers bringing;
still, hearts glow to tell his praises
with whose name the Church is ringing.

Loved physician! for his word
lo, the Gospel page burns brighter,
mission servant of the Lord,
painter true and perfect writer;
Savior of thy bounty send
such as Luke of Gospel story,
friends to all in body's prison
till the sufferers see thy glory.

God the Father, your will for all people is health and salvation;
-We praise you and bless you, Lord.

God the Son, you came that we might have life, and might
have it more abundantly;
-We praise you and bless you, Lord.

God the Holy Spirit, you make our bodies the temple of your
presence;
-We praise you and bless you, Lord.

Holy Trinity, one God, in you we live and move and have our
being;
-We praise you and bless you, Lord.

Lord, grant your healing grace to all who are sick, injured,
or disabled, that they may be made whole;
-Hear us, Lord of life.

Grant to all who seek your guidance, and to all who are
lonely, anxious or despondent, a knowledge of your will and
an awareness of your presence;
Hear us, Lord of life.

Mend broken relationships, and restore those in emotional
distress to soundness of mind and serenity of spirit;
-Hear us, Lord of life.

Bless physicians, nurses, and all others who minister to the
suffering granting them wisdom and skill, sympathy and
patience;
-Hear us, Lord of life.

Grant to the dying peace and a holy death, and uphold by the
grace and consolation of your Holy Spirit those who are
bereaved;
-Hear us, Lord of life.

Restore to wholeness whatever is broken by sin, in our
lives, in our nation, and in the world;
-Hear us, Lord of life.

You are the Lord, who does wonders
-You have declared your power among the peoples.

With you, Lord, is the well of life
-And in your light we see light.

Hear us, Lord of life
-Heal us, and make us whole.

Almighty God,
you called Luke the physician,
whose praise is in the gospel,
to be an evangelist and physician of the soul
by the grace of the Spirit
and through the wholesome medicine of the gospel,
give your Church the same love and power to heal;
through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord,
who is alive and reigns with you

Grant us boldness to desire a place in your kingdom,
the courage to drink the cup of suffering,
and the grace to find in service
the glory you promise. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses phrases from a prayer in
_Opening Prayers: Collects in Contemporary Language_.
Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession and the collect are from _Common Worship: Services
and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is included
in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.