OREMUS: 16 October 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Oct 15 20:19:06 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, October 16 , 2005
The Twenty-Second Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, tireless Guardian of your people,
you are always ready to hear the cry of your chosen ones;
you teach us to rely day and night on your care.
You impel us to seek your enduring justice
and your ever-present help
revealed in your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

 sing to the Lord, all the whole earth.
Sing to the Lord and bless his name;*
 proclaim the good news of his salvation from day to day.
Declare his glory among the nations*
 and his wonders among all peoples.
For great is the Lord and greatly to be praised;*
 he is more to be feared than all gods.
As for all the gods of the nations, they are but idols;*
 but it is the Lord who made the heavens.
O the majesty and magnificence of his presence!*
 O the power and the splendour of his sanctuary!
Ascribe to the Lord, you families of the peoples;*
 ascribe to the Lord honour and power.
Ascribe to the Lord the honour due to his name;*
 bring offerings and come into his courts.
Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness;*
 let the whole earth tremble before him.
Tell it out among the nations: 'The Lord is king!*
 he has made the world so firm that it cannot be moved;
   he will judge the peoples with equity.'
Let the heavens rejoice and let the earth be glad;
   let the sea thunder and all that is in it;*
 let the field be joyful and all that is therein.
Then shall all the trees of the wood shout for joy
   before the Lord when he comes,*
 when he comes to judge the earth.
He will judge the world with righteousness*
 and the peoples with his truth.

Psalm 97

The Lord is king; let the earth rejoice;*
 let the multitude of the isles be glad.
Clouds and darkness are round about him,*
 righteousness and justice
   are the foundations of his throne.
A fire goes before him*
 and burns up his enemies on every side.
His lightnings light up the world;*
 the earth sees it and is afraid.
The mountains melt like wax
   at the presence of the Lord,*
 at the presence of the Lord of the whole earth.
The heavens declare his righteousness,*
 and all the peoples see his glory.
Confounded be all who worship carved images
   and delight in false gods!*
 Bow down before him, all you gods.
Zion hears and is glad and the cities of Judah rejoice,*
 because of your judgements, O Lord.
For you are the Lord: most high over all the earth;*
 you are exalted far above all gods.
The Lord loves those who hate evil;*
 he preserves the lives of his saints
   and delivers them from the hand of the wicked.
Light has sprung up for the righteous,*
 and joyful gladness for those who are true-hearted.
Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous,*
 and give thanks to his holy name.

A Song of the Lamb (from Revelation 19)

Salvation and glory and power belong to our God,
 whose judgements are true and just.

Praise our God, all you his servants,
 all who fear him, both small and great.

The Lord our God, the Almighty, reigns:
 let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory.

The marriage of the Lamb has come
 and his bride has made herself ready.

Blessed are those who are invited
 to the wedding banquet of the Lamb.

 for ever and ever. Amen.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Exodus 34:1-8]:

The LORD said to Moses, 'Cut two tablets of stone like
the former ones, and I will write on the tablets the
words that were on the former tablets, which you broke.
Be ready in the morning, and come up in the morning to
Mount Sinai and present yourself there to me, on the top
of the mountain. No one shall come up with you, and do
not let anyone be seen throughout all the mountain; and
do not let flocks or herds graze in front of that
mountain.' So Moses cut two tablets of stone like the
former ones; and he rose early in the morning and went up
on Mount Sinai, as the LORD had commanded him, and took
in his hand the two tablets of stone. The LORD descended
in the cloud and stood with him there, and proclaimed the
name, 'The LORD.' The LORD passed before him, and
proclaimed,
'The LORD, the LORD,
a God merciful and gracious,
slow to anger,
and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness,
keeping steadfast love for the thousandth generation,
forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin,
yet by no means clearing the guilty,
but visiting the iniquity of the parents
upon the children
and the children's children,
to the third and the fourth generation.'
And Moses quickly bowed his head towards the earth, and
worshipped.

For another Biblical reading,
Philippians 4:10-20

HYMN
Words: Richard Mant, 1824
Tune: Stuttgart
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g193.html

God, my King, thy might confessing,
ever will I bless thy Name;
day by day thy throne addressing,
still will I thy praise proclaim.

Honor great our God befitteth;
who his majesty can reach?
Age to age his works transmitteth,
age to age his power shall teach.

They shall talk of all thy glory,
on thy might and greatness dwell,
speak of thy dread acts the story,
and thy deeds of wonder tell.

Nor shall fail from memory's treasure
works by love and mercy wrought,
works of love surpassing measure,
works of mercy passing thought.

Full of kindness and compassion,
slow to anger, vast in love,
God is good to all creation;
all his works his goodness prove.

All thy works, O Lord, shall bless thee:
thee shall thy saints adore:
King supreme shall they confess thee,
and proclaim thy sovereign power.

Great Friend of the poor, the neglected, the abused, and the distressed,
we pray for any who are now feeling forsaken

In your mercy, help us not to forget the needs of -

  the migrant, the child, the elderly....

  the deserted wife, or husband or children...

  the teenage loner or the spurned parent...

  the new arrival in a strange city or country...

  the shy person alone in a small flat...

  the political prisoner without recourse to justice...

  the hospital patient without any visitors...

  the dying soul with no one to sit with them...

  the grief stricken with no one to comfort them.

Merciful God,
send your angels of mercy to all in need.
Grant them quietness and peace,
through Jesus Christ our Redeemer,
who, hanging on the cross, knew our sufferings. Amen.

Almighty God,
your Son has opened for us
a new and living way into your presence:
Give us pure hearts and steadfast wills
to worship you in spirit and in truth;
through the same Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Grant us boldness to desire a place in your kingdom,
the courage to drink the cup of suffering,
and the grace to find in service
the glory you promise. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer by Bruce Prewer.

The collect is from _A Prayer Book for Australia_. (c) 1995,
The Anglican Church of Australia Trust Corporation.