OREMUS: 15 October 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Oct 14 19:42:40 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Saturday, October 15, 2005
Samuel Isaac Joseph Schereschewsky, Bishop of Shanghai, 1906

Blessed are you, O God, the rock of our salvation,
whose gifts can never fail.
You deepen the faith you have already bestowed
and let its power be seen in your servants.

I cry to the Lord with my voice;*
 to the Lord I make loud supplication.
I pour out my complaint before him*
 and tell him all my trouble.
When my spirit languishes within me, you know my path;*
 in the way wherein I walk they have hidden a trap for me.
I look to my right hand and find no one who knows me;*
 I have no place to flee to and no one cares for me.
I cry out to you, O Lord;*
 I say, 'You are my refuge,
   my portion in the land of the living.'
Listen to my cry for help,
   for I have been brought very low;*
 save me from those who pursue me,
   for they are too strong for me.
Bring me out of prison,
   that I may give thanks to your name;*
 when you have dealt bountifully with me,
   the righteous will gather around me.

Psalm 143

Lord, hear my prayer,
   and in your faithfulness heed my supplications;*
 answer me in your righteousness.
Enter not into judgement with your servant,*
 for in your sight shall no one living be justified.
For my enemy has sought my life
   and has crushed me to the ground;*
 making me live in dark places
   like those who are long dead.
My spirit faints within me;*
 my heart within me is desolate.
I remember the time past;
   I muse upon all your deeds;*
 I consider the works of your hands.
I spread out my hands to you;*
 my soul gasps to you like a thirsty land.
O Lord, make haste to answer me; my spirit fails me;*
 do not hide your face from me
   or I shall be like those who go down to the Pit.
Let me hear of your loving-kindness in the morning,
   for I put my trust in you;*
 show me the road that I must walk,
   for I lift up my soul to you.
Deliver me from my enemies, O Lord,*
 for I flee to you for refuge.
Teach me to do what pleases you, for you are my God;*
 let your good Spirit lead me on level ground.
Revive me, O Lord, for your name's sake;*
 for your righteousness' sake, bring me out of trouble.

A Song of Jerusalem our Mother (from Isaiah 66)

'Rejoice with Jerusalem and be glad for her
all you who love her', says the Lord.

'Rejoice with her in joy,
all you who mourn over her,

'That you may drink deeply with delight
from her consoling breast.'

For thus says our God,
'You shall be nursed and carried on her arm.

'As a mother comforts her children,
so I will comfort you;

'You shall see and your heart shall rejoice;
you shall flourish like the grass of the fields.'

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [1 John 3:16-4:6]:

We know love by this, that he laid down his life for
us and we ought to lay down our lives for one another.
How does God's love abide in anyone who has the world's
goods and sees a brother or sister in need and yet
refuses help?
Little children, let us love, not in word or speech, but
in truth and action. And by this we will know that we are
from the truth and will reassure our hearts before him
whenever our hearts condemn us; for God is greater than
our hearts, and he knows everything. Beloved, if our
hearts do not condemn us, we have boldness before God;
and we receive from him whatever we ask, because we obey
his commandments and do what pleases him.
And this is his commandment, that we should believe in
the name of his Son Jesus Christ and love one another,
just as he has commanded us. All who obey his
commandments abide in him, and he abides in them. And by
this we know that he abides in us, by the Spirit that he
has given us.
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the
spirits to see whether they are from God; for many false
prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know
the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus
Christ has come in the flesh is from God, and every
spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. And
this is the spirit of the antichrist, of which you have
heard that it is coming; and now it is already in the
world. Little children, you are from God, and have
conquered them; for the one who is in you is greater than
the one who is in the world. They are from the world;
therefore what they say is from the world, and the world
listens to them. We are from God. Whoever knows God
listens to us, and whoever is not from God does not
listen to us. From this we know the spirit of truth and
the spirit of error.

For another Biblical reading,
Proverbs 4:1-18

HYMN
Words: John Greenleaf Whittier (1807-1892), 1867
Tune: Bishopthorpe
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/i/i226.html

Immortal love, forever full,
forever flowing free,
forever shared, forever whole,
a never ebbing sea!

Our outward lips confess the name
all other names above;
love only knoweth whence it came,
and comprehendeth love.

We may not climb the heavenly steeps
to bring the Lord Christ down;
In vain we search the lowest deeps,
for him no depths can drown.

But warm, sweet, tender, even yet,
a present help is he;
and faith still has its Olivet,
and love its Galilee.

The healing of his seamless dress
is by our beds of pain;
we touch him in life's throng and press,
and we are whole again.

Through him the first fond prayers are said
our lips of childhood frame,
the last low whispers of our dead
are burdened with his Name.

O Lord and Master of us all,
whate'er our name or sign,
we own thy sway, we hear thy call,
we test our lives by thine.

Loving God, in Jesus Christ you teach us to pray:

Guide us by your Holy Spirit
that our prayers for others may serve your will
and show your steadfast love for all.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

Gracious God,
you have called together a people
to be the Church of Jesus Christ,
founded on the apostles.
Hear our prayer for the Diocese of
Southwell, England, The Rt Revd George Henry Cassidy, Bishop.
May your people be one in faith and discipleship,
breaking bread together and telling good news.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

May the world come to believe that you are love,
turn to your ways and live in the light of your truth.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

You made all things and called them good.
May your planet earth be held in reverence by all people,
that its resources may be used wisely
and its fragile balance between life and death respected.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

Hear our prayers for those who rule the nations,
that they may learn wisdom and truth,
establish justice and mercy
and seek the ways of peace.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

God of compassion,
you regard the forsaken
and give hope to the crushed in spirit:
hear those who cry to you in distress,
that they may be joined to the company
of those who raise a song of thanksgiving
to your glory, O Father, through the Son and in the Holy Spirit. Amen.

O God,
your Word is revealed to us in Jesus Christ,
your Son, the Truth Incarnate and the Teacher of the faithful:
Lead us, we pray, to commit our lives and talents to you,
in the confidence that when you give your servants any work to do,
you also supply the strength to do it,
as you did for your servant Joseph Schereschewsky,
who worked to bring your word to China;

Bless the work entrusted to our hands,
that we may offer you an abundance of just works,
a rich harvest of peace. Amen.

The psalms, the first collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer in _The Book of Common
Worship. The Presbyterian Church in Canada_, 1991. Used with
permission.

The second collect is by Stephen Benner.

Samuel Isaac Joseph Schereschewsky was born in Lithuania in 1831, went to
Germany to study for the rabbinate, there became a Christian, emigrated to
America, trained for the priesthood, and in 1859 was sent by the Episcopal
Church to China, where he devoted himself from 1862 to 1875 to translating
the Bible into Mandarin Chinese. In 1877 he was elected Bishop of Shanghai,
where he founded St. John's University, and began his translation of the Bible
into Wenli (another Chinese dialect). He developed Parkinson's disease, was
largely paralyzed, resigned his position as Bishop of Shanghai, and spent the
rest of his life completing his Wenli Bible, the last 2000 pages of which he
typed with the one finger that he could still move.
Four years before his death in 1906, he said: "I have sat in this chair for over
twenty years. It seemed very hard at first. But God knew best. He kept me for
the work for which I am best fitted."