OREMUS: 12 October 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Oct 11 23:58:37 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Wednesday, October 12 , 2005
Wilfrid of Ripon, Bishop, Missionary, 709

Blessed are you, O God, the rock of our salvation,
whose gifts can never fail.
You deepen the faith you have already bestowed
and let its power be seen in your servants.

I will sing of mercy and justice;*
 to you, O Lord, will I sing praises.
I will strive to follow a blameless course;
   O when will you come to me?*
 I will walk with sincerity of heart within my house.
I will set no worthless thing before my eyes;*
 I hate the doers of evil deeds;
   they shall not remain with me.
A crooked heart shall be far from me;*
 I will not know evil.
My eyes are upon the faithful in the land,
   that they may dwell with me,*
 and only those who lead a blameless life
   shall be my servants.
Those who act deceitfully shall not dwell in my house,*
 and those who tell lies shall not continue in my sight.

   Happy are they who fear the Lord*
 and have great delight in his commandments!
Their descendants will be mighty in the land;*
 the generation of the upright will be blessed.
Wealth and riches will be in their house,*
 and their righteousness will last for ever.
Light shines in the darkness for the upright;*
 the righteous are merciful and full of compassion.
It is good for them to be generous in lending*
 and to manage their affairs with justice.
For they will never be shaken;*
 the righteous will be kept in everlasting remembrance.
They will not be afraid of any evil rumours;*
 their heart is right;
   they put their trust in the Lord.
Their heart is established and will not shrink,*
 until they see their desire upon their enemies.
They have given freely to the poor,*
 and their righteousness stands fast for ever;
   they will hold up their head with honour.
The wicked will see it and be angry;
   they will gnash their teeth and pine away;*
 the desires of the wicked will perish.

A Song of the Blessed (Matthew 5:3-10)
Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger
and thirst after righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are those who suffer persecution
for righteousness' sake,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [Mark 13:14-23]:

Jesus said, 'But when you see the desolating sacrilege
set up where it ought not to be (let the reader
understand), then those in Judea must flee to the
mountains; someone on the housetop must not go down or
enter the house to take anything away; someone in the
field must not turn back to get a coat. Woe to those who
are pregnant and to those who are nursing infants in
those days! Pray that it may not be in winter. For in
those days there will be suffering, such as has not been
from the beginning of the creation that God created until
now, no, and never will be. And if the Lord had not cut
short those days, no one would be saved; but for the sake
of the elect, whom he chose, he has cut short those days.
And if anyone says to you at that time, "Look! Here is
the Messiah!" or "Look! There he is!" do not believe it.
False messiahs and false prophets will appear and produce
signs and omens, to lead astray, if possible, the elect.
But be alert; I have already told you everything.'

For another Biblical reading,
Deuteronomy 9:1-7

HYMN
Words: William Orcutt Cushing, 1866
Tune: Jewels
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w287.html

When he cometh, when he cometh
to make up his jewels,
all his jewels, precious jewels,
his loved and his own.
Refrain:
Like the stars of the morning,
his brightness adorning,
they shall shine in their beauty,
bright gems for his crown.

He will gather, he will gather
the gems for his kingdom;
all the pure ones, all the bright ones,
his loved and his own. Refrain

Little children, little children,
who love their Redeemer,
are the jewels, precious jewels,
his loved and his own. Refrain

Eternal God, we rejoice today in the gift of life, which
we have received by your grace, and the new life you give
in Jesus Christ. Especially we thank you for
     the love of our families...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     the affection of our friends...
     strength and abilities to serve your purpose today...
     this community in which we live...
     opportunities to give as we have received...

God of grace, we offer our prayers for the needs of
others and commit ourselves to serve them as we have been
served in Jesus Christ. Especially we pray for
     those closest to us, families, friends, neighbors...
                         (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     refugees and homeless men, women and children...
     the outcast and persecuted...
     those from whom we are estranged...
     the church in Africa...
     the Diocese of Ijebu, Nigeria,
     The Rt Revd Joseph Akinyele Omoyajowo, Bishop...

O God,
you create order out of our chaos,
you turn over our neatly-ordered plans:
Send your revolutionary Holy Spirit into our lives,
that in all we do we may follow you;
through Jesus Christ, the giver of true freedom. Amen.

Almighty God,
who called our forebears to the light of the gospel
by the preaching of your servant Wilfrid:
help us, who keep his life and labour in remembrance,
to glorify your name by following the example
of his zeal and perseverance;

Bless the work entrusted to our hands,
that we may offer you an abundance of just works,
a rich harvest of peace. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c)
1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

The first collect is (c) Stephen Benner, 2004.

Wilfred was born around 634 in Northumbria, and was educated for a while at
the island monastery of Lindisfarne, after which he went south to London,
where he became an enthusiastic supporter of Roman liturgical customs, as
contrasted with the traditional Celtic customs that were prevalent in the North
and in other areas that had been evangelised by Celtic rather than Roman
missionaries. The two questions that were nominally in dispute were (1) the
method of calculating the date of Easter, and (2) the method of tonsuring a
monk (i.e. which areas of the head ought to be shaved). As often happens,
these were probably stand-ins for other questions less easily articulated. In
about 654, Wilfred left England for Rome (stopping for a year in Lyons,
France) and then returned (stopping for three years in Lyons), arriving in
England in about 660. He was made abbot of Ripon in Northumbria, and
imposed the Roman rules there. In 664 a conference was held (the Synod of
Whitby) to settle the usages controversy, and the Roman party triumphed,
thanks in large part to the leadership of Wilfrid. He was appointed Bishop of
York by Alcfrid, sub-king of Deira (a division of Northumbria), but was
unwilling to be consecrated by bishops of the Celtic tradition, and so went over
to France to be consecrated, and was gone for two years. On his return, he
found that King Oswy of Northumbria had appointed Chad (see 2 March 672)
as bishop of York. Wilfrid returned quietly to Ripon. But in 669 the new
Archbishop of Canterbury, Theodore (see 19 September 690), declared that
Wilfrid was rightful bishop of York. Chad quietly withrew, and Wilfrid was
installed at York. For the next few years, Wilfrid enjoyed peace and prosperity,
stood high in the favor of King Efrith of Northumbria, and was undisputed
bishop of a diocese that included the entire kingdom of Northumbria, with his
cathedral at York. But there was trouble ahead. The queen wanted to leave her
husband and become a nun, and Wilfrid encouraged her in this. After she had
left (in 672), the king was not as cordial to Wilfrid as he had been, and in 678,
Archbishop Theodore, acting in close concert with the king, divided the
Diocese of York into four smaller dioceses, and appointed new bishops for
three of them, leaving Wilfrid with the fourth, which did not include the city of
York. Wilfrid decided to appeal to the pope. On his way to Rome, he spent a
year preaching in Frisia, and so was the beginning of the movement by
Christian Anglo-Saxons in Britain to convert their relatives on the Continent.
The pope eventually sided with Wilfrid, but the ruling was not accepted in
England, and Wilfrid was banished from Northumbria. He went to Sussex, the
last center of Anglo-Saxon paganism in England, and preached there. When he
arrived, there had been no rain for many months, the crops were ruined, and
the people were starving. Wilfrid showed them how to construct fishnets for
ocean fishing, and so saved the lives of many. They listened to his preaching
with favorable presuppositions, and soon a large number of them were ready
for baptism. On the day that he baptized them, it rained. He remained in Sussex
for five years, preaching with great success.
Eventually he was reconciled with Archbishop Theodore, and returned to
Northumbria, where he was again given a bishopric. He served there a bishop
for five peaceful years, but then a royal council found him unfit; he was
deposed again, appealed to Rome again, and ended up bishop of the small
diocese of Hexham, with jurisdiction over the various monasteries that he had
founded. In his will, he bequeathed his money to four causes: (1) to various
Roman congregations; (2) to the poor; (3) to the clergy who had followed him
into exile; and (4) to the abbots of the various monasteries under his
jurisdiction, "so that they could purchase the friendship of kings and bishops."
He died 12 October 709. [James Kiefer]