OREMUS: 11 October 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Oct 10 22:41:20 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Tuesday, October 11, 2005
Elizabeth Fry, Prison Reformer, 1845
Edith Cavell, Nurse, 1915

Blessed are you, O God, the rock of our salvation,
whose gifts can never fail.
You deepen the faith you have already bestowed
and let its power be seen in your servants.

Bow down your ear, O Lord, and answer me,*
 for I am poor and in misery.
Keep watch over my life, for I am faithful;*
 save your servant who trusts in you.
Be merciful to me, O Lord, for you are my God;*
 I call upon you all the day long.
Gladden the soul of your servant,*
 for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving,*
 and great is your love towards all who call upon you.
Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer,*
 and attend to the voice of my supplications.
In the time of my trouble I will call upon you,*
 for you will answer me.
Among the gods there is none like you, O Lord,*
 nor anything like your works.
All nations you have made
   will come and worship you, O Lord,*
 and glorify your name.
For you are great; you do wondrous things;*
 and you alone are God.
Teach me your way, O Lord,
   and I will walk in your truth;*
 knit my heart to you that I may fear your name.
I will thank you, O Lord my God, with all my heart,*
 and glorify your name for evermore.
For great is your love towards me;*
 you have delivered me from the nethermost Pit.
The arrogant rise up against me, O God,
   and a violent band seeks my life;*
 they have not set you before their eyes.
But you, O Lord, are gracious and full of compassion,*
 slow to anger and full of kindness and truth.
Turn to me and have mercy upon me;*
 give your strength to your servant;
   and save the child of your handmaid.
Show me a sign of your favour,
   so that those who hate me may see it and be ashamed;*
 because you, O Lord, have helped me and comforted me.

A Song of Peace (Isaiah 2:3-5)

Come, let us go up to the mountain of God,
to the house of the God of Jacob;

That God may teach us his ways,
and that we may walk in his paths.

For the law shall go out from Zion,
and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.

God shall judged between the nations,
and shall mediate for many peoples.

They shall beat their swords into ploughshares,
and their spears into pruning hooks.

Nation shall not lift up sword against nation,
neither shall they learn war any more.

O people of Jacob, come:
let us walk in the light of the Lord.

READING [Mark 13:9-13]:

Jesus said, 'As for yourselves, beware; for they will
hand you over to councils; and you will be beaten in
synagogues; and you will stand before governors and kings
because of me, as a testimony to them. And the good news
must first be proclaimed to all nations. When they bring
you to trial and hand you over, do not worry beforehand
about what you are to say; but say whatever is given you
at that time, for it is not you who speak, but the Holy
Spirit. Brother will betray brother to death, and a
father his child, and children will rise against parents
and have them put to death; and you will be hated by all
because of my name. But the one who endures to the end
will be saved.'

For another Biblical reading,
Deuteronomy 7:1-11

HYMN
Words: Sabine Baring-Gould, 1864
Tune: St. Gertrude
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o812.html

Onward, Christian soldiers,
marching as to war,
with the cross of Jesus
going on before!
Christ, the royal Master,
leads against the foe;
forward into battle,
see, his banners go.
Refrain:
Onward, Christian soldiers,
marching as to war,
with the cross of Jesus
going on before!

At the sign of triumph
Satan's host doth flee;
on then, Christian soldiers,
on to victory!
Hell's foundations quiver
at the shout of praise;
Brothers, lift your voices,
loud your anthems raise. Refrain

Like a mighty army
moves the Church of God;
Brothers, we are treading
where the saints have trod;
we are not divided,
all one body we,
one in hope and doctrine,
one in charity. Refrain

What the saints established
that I hold for true.
what the saints believŠd,
that I believe too.
Long as earth endureth,
men the faith will hold,
kingdoms, nations, empires,
in destruction rolled. Refrain

Crown and thrones may perish,
kingdoms rise and wane,
but the Church of Jesus
constant will remain;
gates of hell can never
'gainst that Church prevail;
we have Christ's own promise,
and that cannot fail. Refrain

Onward, then, ye people,
join our happy throng;
blend with ours your voices
in the triumph song:
glory, laud, and honor,
unto Christ the King;
this through countless ages
men and angels sing. Refrain

O God our Salvation, you are near to all who call:
hear and answer our prayers.

You are a refuge for the oppressed;
be our stronghold in troubled times.

You stand at the right hand of the needy;
rescue all who are wrongfully condemned.

You raise the poor from the dust;
restore dignity to those who seek refuge.

You give food to the hungry;
uphold the cause of the destitute.

You watch over those who wander and sustain the widow;
provide protection in the face of danger.

You heal the brokenhearted;
bind up the wounds of all who suffer.

You call us to be your Church, especially in the Diocese of
Southern Virginia, USA, The Rt Revd David Conner Bane, Bishop.
send us out to do your will in the world.

You are a mighty God who loves justice;
establish your equity for all people.

Praise be to you, O Lord;
you hear and answer our prayers.

God of mercy,
fill us with the love of your Name,
and help us to proclaim you before the world,
that all peoples may celebrate your glory
in Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Father,
from whom every family in heaven and on earth takes its name,
your servants Elizabeth Fry and Edith Cavell
revealed your goodness in a life of service:
grant that we who have gathered in faith around this table
may like them know the love of Christ
that surpasses knowledge
and be filled with all your fullness;

Bless the work entrusted to our hands,
that we may offer you an abundance of just works,
a rich harvest of peace. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is adapted by Stephen Benner from a prayer by Karen
Moshier Shenk and Rebecca J. Slough, in _MPH Bulletin_,
10/13/85, as adapted in _Words for Worship_; used by permission
of Herald Press.

href="http://www.scottishepiscopal.com">http://www.scottishepiscopal.com</
a>

The second collect is slightly adapted from _Common Worship: Services
and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is included
in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

Elizabeth Gurney was born at Earlham in Norfolk in 1780. At the age of
twenty, she married Joseph Fry, a London merchant and a strict Quaker. She
was admitted as a minister in the Society of Friends and became a noted
preacher. The appalling state of the prisons came to her notice and she devoted
much of her time to the welfare of female prisoners in Newgate. In 1820 she
took part in the formation of a nightly shelter for the homeless in London. She
travelled all over Europe in the cause of prison reform. She was a woman of a
strong Christian and evangelistic impulse and this inspired all her work. She
died on this day in 1845.
Edith Cavell was born into a clergy family at Swardeston in 1865. After life as
a governess, she trained as a nurse, ending up working with the Red Cross in
Belgium in 1907. On the outbreak of the First World War, she became
involved in caring for the wounded on both sides. She refused repatriation and
then began smuggling British soldiers from Belgium into Holland. In 1915 she
was arrested and brought to trial. Protecting those who worked with her, she
was sentenced to death and executed by firing squad on this day in the year
1915. She went to her death calmly, forgiving her executioners, convinced she
had been doing her duty as a Christian. [Exciting Holiness]