OREMUS: 10 October 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Oct 9 20:48:54 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Monday, October 10, 2005
Paulinus, Bishop of York, Missionary, 644

Blessed are you, O God, the rock of our salvation,
whose gifts can never fail.
You deepen the faith you have already bestowed
and let its power be seen in your servants.

I waited patiently upon the Lord;*
 he stooped to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the desolate pit,
   out of the mire and clay;*
 he set my feet upon a high cliff and made my footing sure.
He put a new song in my mouth,
   a song of praise to our God;*
 many shall see and stand in awe
   and put their trust in the Lord.
Happy are they who trust in the Lord!*
 they do not resort to evil spirits or turn to false gods.
Great things are they that you have done, O Lord my God!
   how great your wonders and your plans for us!*
 there is none who can be compared with you.
O that I could make them known and tell them!*
 but they are more than I can count.
In sacrifice and offering you take no pleasure*
 you have given me ears to hear you;
Burnt-offering and sin-offering you have not required,*
 and so I said, 'Behold, I come.
'In the roll of the book it is written concerning me:*
 "I love to do your will, O my God;
 your law is deep in my heart."'
I proclaimed righteousness in the great congregation;*
 behold, I did not restrain my lips;
 and that, O Lord, you know.
Your righteousness have I not hidden in my heart;
   I have spoken of your faithfulness and your deliverance;*
 I have not concealed your love and faithfulness
   from the great congregation.
You are the Lord;
   do not withhold your compassion from me;*
 let your love and your faithfulness keep me safe for ever,
For innumerable troubles have crowded upon me;
   my sins have overtaken me and I cannot see;*
 they are more in number than the hairs of my head,
   and my heart fails me.
Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me;*
 O Lord, make haste to help me.
Let them be ashamed and altogether dismayed
   who seek after my life to destroy it;*
 let them draw back and be disgraced
   who take pleasure in my misfortune.
Let those who say 'Aha!' and gloat over me be confounded,*
 because they are ashamed.
Let all who seek you rejoice in you and be glad;*
 let those who love your salvation continually say,
   'Great is the Lord!'
Though I am poor and afflicted,*
 the Lord will have regard for me.
You are my helper and my deliverer;*
 do not tarry, O my God.

A Song of God's Grace (Ephesians 1:3-10)

Blessed are you,
the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
for you have blest us in Christ Jesus
with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places.

You chose us to be yours in Christ
before the foundation of the world,
that we should be holy and blameless before you.

In love you destined us for adoption as your children,
through Jesus Christ,
according to the purpose of your will,

To the praise of your glorious grace,
which you freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.

In you, we have redemption
through the blood of Christ,
the forgiveness of our sins,

According to the riches of your grace,
which you have lavished upon us.

You have made known to us, in all wisdom and insight,
the mystery of your will,

According to your purpose
which you set forth in Christ,
as a plan for the fullness of time,

To unite all things in Christ,
things in heaven and things on earth.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Mark 13:1-8]:

As Jesus came out of the temple, one of his disciples
said to him, 'Look, Teacher, what large stones and what
large buildings!' Then Jesus asked him, 'Do you see these
great buildings? Not one stone will be left here upon
another; all will be thrown down.'
When he was sitting on the Mount of Olives opposite the
temple, Peter, James, John, and Andrew asked him
privately, 'Tell us, when will this be, and what will be
the sign that all these things are about to be
accomplished?' Then Jesus began to say to them, 'Beware
that no one leads you astray. Many will come in my name
and say, "I am he!" and they will lead many astray. When
you hear of wars and rumours of wars, do not be alarmed;
this must take place, but the end is still to come. For
nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against
kingdom; there will be earthquakes in various places;
there will be famines. This is but the beginning of the
birth pangs.'

For another Biblical reading,
Exodus 32:21-34

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts, 1709
Tune: Breslau
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t817.html

'Twas by thy blood, immortal Lamb,
thine armies trod the tempter down;
'twas by thy word and powerful name
they gained the battle and renown.

Rejoice, ye heavens! let every star
shine with new glories round the sky;
saints, while ye sing the heavenly war,
raise your Deliverer's Name on high.

Creator and Sustainer of life, God,
who ever calls us back
to his ways of justice and peace:
we thank you for the gift of the land,
for its beauty, and its resources,
and the rich heritage we enjoy.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

And so we pray:
for those who make decisions about our land and its resources;
for those who work on the land and sea,
in our cities, and in commerce and industry;
for artists, scientists, politicians, and visionaries.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

We pray for your Church, especially the Diocese of
Southern Ohio, USA, The Rt Revd Herbert Thompson, Bishop.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

We thank you for giving us life, and for giving us our life together.
We pray for all who through their own or others' actions
are deprived of fullness of life;
for all who know sickness, disability, and an untimely death;
for all who devote their lives to ministering to the needs of others.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

Give us reverence for life in this, your created world.
May we reflect the goodness of your creation
in the society we create with and for one another.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

God our Savior,
hear our prayer for all who suffer at the hands of others,
and especially for those who suffer for the sake of justice.
Raise and comfort them,
and lead us all in the paths of loving service.
We ask this in the Name of Jesus Christ the Lord. Amen.

God our Saviour,
who sent Paulinus to preach and to baptize,
and so to build up your Church in this land:
grant that, inspired by his example,
we may tell all the world of your truth,
that with him we may receive the reward
you prepare for all your faithful servants;

Bless the work entrusted to our hands,
that we may offer you an abundance of just works,
a rich harvest of peace. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is adapted by Stephen Benner from a prayer by David
Bromell.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

In the middle 400's the pagan Anglo-Saxons invaded Britain, driving the
Christian Britons north and west into Cornwall, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland.
In 597 a band of monks headed by Augustine of Canterbury arrived in
southeastern England, in the kingdom of Kent, and began to evangelize the
people there, with considerable success. In 601 a second group of monks
arrived, including Paulinus (born around 584). Sometime after 616, Edwin, the
pagan king of Northumbria (the region north of the Humber river--roughly the
northern quarter of England), asked for the hand in marriage of Ethelburga, the
sister of the king of Kent. He was told that a Christian princess could not
marry a pagan, but he promised that she would be free to practice her religion,
and that he would listen to Christian preachers, and seriously consider
becoming a Christian himself. At this Ethelburga agreed to marry him, and
went north in 625, taking with her as chaplain the monk Paulinus, who was
consecrated bishop for the purpose. Edwin heard the preaching of Paulinus for
many months, and finally consulted his advisors. Coifi, the high priest of the
pagan religion, advised adopting Christianity, since he said that the pagan
religion had not proved satisfactory. Another nobleman agreed, saying: "Life is
like a banquet hall. Inside is light and fire and warmth and feasting, but outside
it is cold and dark. A sparrow flies in through a window at one end, flies the
length of the hall, and out through a window at the other end. That is what life
is like. At birth we emerge from the unknown, and for a brief while we are here
on this earth, with a fair amount of comfort and happiness. But then we fly out
the window at the other end, into the cold and dark and unknown future. If the
new religion can lighten that darkness for us, then let us follow it." The other
elders and counselors of the king gave similar advice, and so in 627 the king
and many of his chief men were baptized. Other conversions followed, and the
Church in Northumbria flourished. However, six years later, King Edwin was
defeated and killed by Cadwallon of Wales and Penda of Mercia at the battle of
Hatfield Chase. Paulinus left his deacon James in charge of what remained of
the Church there, and took Queen Ethelburga and her children back to Kent by
ship. There the elderly Paulinus was given the bishopric of Rochester, which he
held till his death on 10 October 644. [James Kiefer]