OREMUS: 9 October 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Oct 8 21:00:07 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, October 9 , 2005
The Twenty-First Sunday after Pentecost

our life, our health, our salvation.
You look with mercy on your people;
you stip up in us a saving faith,
that believing, we may be healed,
and being healed, we may worthily give you thanks.

The Lord is my shepherd;*
 I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures*
 and leads me beside still waters.
He revives my soul*
 and guides me along right pathways for his name's sake.
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
   I shall fear no evil;*
 for you are with me;
   your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You spread a table before me
   in the presence of those who trouble me;*
 you have anointed my head with oil,
   and my cup is running over.
Surely your goodness and mercy shall follow me
   all the days of my life,*
 and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Psalm 98

Sing to the Lord a new song,*
 for he has done marvellous things.
With his right hand and his holy arm*
 has he won for himself the victory.
The Lord has made known his victory;*
 his righteousness has he openly shown
   in the sight of the nations.
He remembers his mercy and faithfulness
   to the house of Israel,*
 and all the ends of the earth have seen
   the victory of our God.
Shout with joy to the Lord, all you lands;*
 lift up your voice, rejoice and sing.
Sing to the Lord with the harp,*
 with the harp and the voice of song.
With trumpets and the sound of the horn*
 shout with joy before the King, the Lord.
Let the sea make a noise and all that is in it,*
 the lands and those who dwell therein.
Let the rivers clap their hands,*
 and let the hills ring out with joy before the Lord,
   when he comes to judge the earth.
In righteousness shall he judge the world,*
 and the peoples with equity.

A Song of David (1 Chronicles 29:10b-13,14b)

Blessed are you, God of Israel, for ever and ever,
for yours is the greatness, the power,
the glory, the splendour and the majesty.

Everything in heaven and on earth is yours;
yours is the kingdom, O Lord
and you are exalted as head over all.

Riches and honour come from you
and you rule over all.

In your hand are power and might;
yours it is to give power and strength to all.

And now we give you thanks, our God,
and praise your glorious name.

For all things come from you,
and of your own have we given you.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Exodus 32:15-20; 33:7-11a]:

Then Moses turned and went down from the mountain,
carrying the two tablets of the covenant in his hands,
tablets that were written on both sides, written on the
front and on the back. The tablets were the work of God,
and the writing was the writing of God, engraved upon the
tablets. When Joshua heard the noise of the people as
they shouted, he said to Moses, 'There is a noise of war
in the camp.' But he said,
'It is not the sound made by victors,
or the sound made by losers;
it is the sound of revellers that I hear.'
As soon as he came near the camp and saw the calf and the
dancing, Moses' anger burned hot, and he threw the
tablets from his hands and broke them at the foot of the
mountain. He took the calf that they had made, burned it
with fire, ground it to powder, scattered it on the
water, and made the Israelites drink it.
Now Moses used to take the tent and pitch it outside the
camp, far off from the camp; he called it the tent of
meeting. And everyone who sought the LORD would go out to
the tent of meeting, which was outside the camp. Whenever
Moses went out to the tent, all the people would rise and
stand, each of them, at the entrance of their tents and
watch Moses until he had gone into the tent. When Moses
entered the tent, the pillar of cloud would descend and
stand at the entrance of the tent, and the LORD would
speak with Moses. When all the people saw the pillar of
cloud standing at the entrance of the tent, all the
people would rise and bow down, all of them, at the
entrance of their tents. Thus the LORD used to speak to
Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend. Then he
would return to the camp; but his young assistant, Joshua
son of Nun, would not leave the tent.

For another Biblical reading,
Romans 16:17-27

HYMN
Words: Frances Ridley Havergal, 1872
Tune: Melcombe, Maryton, Holley, Hursley, Wilderness, St. Finian
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l440.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l440.html

Lord, speak to me that I may speak
in living echoes of thy tone;
as thou has sought, so let me seek
thine erring children lost and lone.

O lead me, Lord, that I may lead
the wandering and the wavering feet;
O feed me, Lord, that I may feed
thy hungering ones with manna sweet.

O strengthen me, that while I stand
firm on the rock, and strong in thee,
I may stretch out a loving hand
to wrestlers with the troubled sea.

O teach me, Lord, that I may teach
the precious things thou dost impart;
and wing my words, that they may reach
the hidden depths of many a heart.

O give thine own sweet rest to me,
that I may speak with soothing power
a word in season, as from thee,
to weary ones in needful hour.

O fill me with thy fullness, Lord,
until my very heart overflow
in kindling thought and glowing word,
thy love to tell, thy praise to show.

O use me, Lord, use even me,
just as thou wilt, and when, and where,
until thy blessed face I see,
thy rest, thy joy, thy glory share.

Let us pray for the whole people of God
and for all people according to their needs,
saying: "Hear our prayer."

For the whole church, that, true to its calling,
it may witness to the radical and boundless love of God
and proclaim God's love in word and deed.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all the people of our church, for our bishops,
for all pastors and teachers, that strengthened by Word and Sacrament,
our witness in this land may be full of faith and love.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all the baptized, that we may embrace our lives
and the lives of others with courage and compassion,
unafraid of joy and pain, sickness and health.
May our care be a sign of God's care.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For those who govern the nations of the world,
that they may use their authority in wisdom, kindness and peacefulness.
Awaken in all who govern a thirst for justice
that embodies your care for the human community.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all those who suffer poverty, injustice or oppression,
that you would rescue them when they cry out.
Open the ears of our hearts to hear,
and quicken in us the fire to respond in love.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For all who suffer illness, distress or grief,
especially those we name silently or aloud ... ,
that you would grant them comfort, healing and release.
Awaken in us boundless compassion
and use us as agents of lovingkindness.
O God of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

For the saints of every time and generation,
that you would keep us all in the bonds of love
and bring us to the fullness of your reign.
O God, of love and mercy,
Hear our prayer.

O God of Love, hear the prayers of your people.
Enliven us by your Spirit to live into the fullness of your reign.
We pray through Jesus, our life and our hope. Amen.

O God,
you have made heaven and earth
and all that is good;
and in Jesus Christ you show us
that secret of joy is a heart set free from selfish desires:
Help us to delight in simple things
and to rejoice in the richness of your bounty;
through the same Jesus Christ our Lord,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

Give us your saving grace until that day when you welcome us
to the heavenly banquet beyond compare. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is Copyright:   1995, 1999 Evangelical Lutheran Church in
Canada. (Lift Up
Your Hearts,  http://www.worship.ca/)

Westminster / John
Knox Press.