OREMUS: 8 October 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Oct 7 19:56:18 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Saturday, October 8, 2005

Blessed are you, O God, the rock of our salvation,
whose gifts can never fail.
You deepen the faith you have already bestowed
and let its power be seen in your servants.

Lord, you have searched me out and known me;*
 you know my sitting down and my rising up;
   you discern my thoughts from afar.
You trace my journeys and my resting-places*
 and are acquainted with all my ways.
Indeed, there is not a word on my lips,*
 but you, O Lord, know it altogether.
You press upon me behind and before*
 and lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;*
 it is so high that I cannot attain to it.
Where can I go then from your Spirit?*
 where can I flee from your presence?
If I climb up to heaven, you are there;*
 if I make the grave my bed, you are there also.
If I take the wings of the morning*
 and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
Even there your hand will lead me*
 and your right hand hold me fast.
If I say, 'Surely the darkness will cover me,*
 and the light around me turn to night',
Darkness is not dark to you;
   the night is as bright as the day;*
 darkness and light to you are both alike.
For you yourself created my inmost parts;*
 you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I will thank you because I am marvellously made;*
 your works are wonderful and I know it well.
My body was not hidden from you,*
 while I was being made in secret
   and woven in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes beheld my limbs, yet unfinished in the womb;
   all of them were written in your book;*
 they were fashioned day by day,
   when as yet there was none of them.
How deep I find your thoughts, O God!*
 how great is the sum of them!
If I were to count them,
   they would be more in number than the sand;*
 to count them all,
   my life span would need to be like yours.
Search me out, O God, and know my heart;*
 try me and know my restless thoughts.
Look well whether there be any wickedness in me*
 and lead me in the way that is everlasting.

A Song of the Blessed (Matthew 5:3-10)
Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are those who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger
and thirst after righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are those who suffer persecution
for righteousness' sake,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [1 John 3:1-15]:

See what love the Father has given us, that we should be
called children of God; and that is what we are. The
reason the world does not know us is that it did not know
him. Beloved, we are God's children now; what we will be
has not yet been revealed. What we do know is this: when
he is revealed, we will be like him, for we will see him
as he is. And all who have this hope in him purify
themselves, just as he is pure.
Everyone who commits sin is guilty of lawlessness; sin is
lawlessness. You know that he was revealed to take away
sins, and in him there is no sin. No one who abides in
him sins; no one who sins has either seen him or known
him. Little children, let no one deceive you. Everyone
who does what is right is righteous, just as he is
righteous. Everyone who commits sin is a child of the
devil; for the devil has been sinning from the beginning.
The Son of God was revealed for this purpose, to destroy
the works of the devil. Those who have been born of God
do not sin, because God's seed abides in them; they
cannot sin, because they have been born of God. The
children of God and the children of the devil are
revealed in this way: all who do not do what is right are
not from God, nor are those who do not love their
brothers and sisters.
For this is the message you have heard from the
beginning, that we should love one another. We must not
be like Cain who was from the evil one and murdered his
brother. And why did he murder him? Because his own deeds
were evil and his brother's righteous. Do not be
astonished, brothers and sisters, that the world hates
you. We know that we have passed from death to life
because we love one another. Whoever does not love abides
in death. All who hate a brother or sister are murderers,
and you know that murderers do not have eternal life
abiding in them.

For another Biblical reading,
Proverbs 3:1-18

HYMN
Words: Edward Cooper, 1805
Tune: Rivaulx, Song 5, St. Cross
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f087.html

Father of heaven, whose love profound
a ransom for our souls hath found,
before thy throne we sinners bend;
to us thy pardoning love extend.

Almighty Son, Incarnate Word,
our Prophet, Priest, Redeemer, Lord,
before thy throne we sinners bend;
to us thy saving grace extend.

Eternal Spirit, by whose breath
the soul is raised from sin and death,
Before thy throne we sinners bend;
to us thy quickening power extend.

Jehovah - Father, Spirit, Son -
mysterious Godhead, Three in One,
before thy throne we sinners bend;
grace, pardon, life to us extend.

In every time of trouble,
you, O God, are a very present help.
You are with us, sustaining our world in freedom,
restraining the powers of darkness, of death and of destruction;
embracing us all with arms of love, to enfold and to hold.
And so we bring to you our prayers for ourselves,
for those we love, and for our world.

We pray for ourselves and our own needs:
Whatever you would have us to be;
whatever we need to love our neighbor as ourselves,
whatever we need to love one another:
Bountiful Source of Love:
hear our prayer.

We pray for those we love:
Our hopes and dreams for them;
our anguish and anxiety on their behalf;
our desire to make life easier for them.
Bountiful Source of Love:
hear our prayer.

We pray for our world:
Our pain at what we have done to creation;
our wonder at the beauty of that which we have not yet spoiled;
our calling to establish justice and peace.
Bountiful Source of Love:
hear our prayer.

We pray for your Church, especially the Diocese of
the Southern Philippines, The Rt Revd Danilo Bustamante, Bishop.
Bountiful Source of Love:
hear our prayer.

Lord,
who created and fashioned us,
who knows us and searches us out,
who abides with us through light and dark:
help us to know your presence in this life
and, in the life to come, still to be with you;
where you are alive and reign,
God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Bless the work entrusted to our hands,
that we may offer you an abundance of just works,
a rich harvest of peace. Amen.

The psalms, collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer by David Bromell.