OREMUS: 3 October 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Oct 2 22:32:41 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Monday, October 3 , 2005

Blessed are you, O God, the rock of our salvation,
whose gifts can never fail.
You deepen the faith you have already bestowed
and let its power be seen in your servants.

Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful,
   for I have taken refuge in you;*
 in the shadow of your wings will I take refuge
   until this time of trouble has gone by.
I will call upon the Most High God,*
 the God who maintains my cause.
He will send from heaven and save me;
   he will confound those who trample upon me;*
 God will send forth his love and his faithfulness.
I lie in the midst of lions that devour the people;*
 their teeth are spears and arrows,
   their tongue a sharp sword.
They have laid a net for my feet and I am bowed low;*
 they have dug a pit before me
   but have fallen into it themselves.
 and your glory over all the earth.
My heart is firmly fixed, O God, my heart is fixed;*
 I will sing and make melody.
 I myself will waken the dawn.
I will confess you among the peoples, O Lord;*
 I will sing praise to you among the nations.
For your loving-kindness is greater than the heavens,*
 and your glory over all the earth.

Psalm 66

Be joyful in God, all you lands;*
 sing the glory of his name;
   sing the glory of his praise.
Say to God, 'How awesome are your deeds!*
 because of your great strength
   your enemies cringe before you.
'All the earth bows down before you,*
 sings to you, sings out your name.'
Come now and see the works of God,*
 how wonderful he is in his doing towards all people.
He turned the sea into dry land,
   so that they went through the water on foot,*
 and there we rejoiced in him.
In his might he rules for ever;
   his eyes keep watch over the nations;*
 let no rebel rise up against him.
Bless our God, you peoples;*
 make the voice of his praise to be heard;
Who holds our souls in life,*
 and will not allow our feet to slip.
For you, O God, have proved us;*
 you have tried us just as silver is tried.
You brought us into the snare;*
 you laid heavy burdens upon our backs.
You let enemies ride over our heads;
   we went through fire and water;*
 but you brought us out into a place of refreshment.
I will enter your house with burnt-offerings
   and will pay you my vows,*
 which I promised with my lips
   and spoke with my mouth when I was in trouble.
I will offer you sacrifices of fat beasts
   with the smoke of rams;*
 I will give you oxen and goats.
Come and listen, all you who fear God,*
 and I will tell you what he has done for me.
I called out to him with my mouth,*
 and his praise was on my tongue.
If I had found evil in my heart,*
 the Lord would not have heard me;
But in truth God has heard me;*
 he has attended to the voice of my prayer.
Blessed be God, who has not rejected my prayer,*
 nor withheld his love from me.

A Song of Judith (Judith 16:13-16)

I will sing a new song to my God,
for you are great and glorious,
truly strong and invincible.

May your whole creation serve you,
for you spoke and all things came to be.

You sent forth your Spirit and they were formed,
for no one can resist your voice.

Mountains and seas are stirred to their depths;
at your presence rocks shall melt like wax.

But to those who fear you,
you continue to show mercy.

No sacrifice, however fragrant, can please you,
but whoever fears the Lord
shall stand in your sight for ever.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Mark 12:1-12]:

Jesus began to speak to them in parables. 'A man planted
a vineyard, put a fence around it, dug a pit for the wine
press, and built a watch-tower; then he leased it to
tenants and went to another country. When the season
came, he sent a slave to the tenants to collect from them
his share of the produce of the vineyard. But they seized
him, and beat him, and sent him away empty-handed. And
again he sent another slave to them; this one they beat
over the head and insulted. Then he sent another, and
that one they killed. And so it was with many others;
some they beat, and others they killed. He had still one
other, a beloved son. Finally he sent him to them,
saying, "They will respect my son." But those tenants
said to one another, "This is the heir; come, let us kill
him, and the inheritance will be ours." So they seized
him, killed him, and threw him out of the vineyard. What
then will the owner of the vineyard do? He will come and
destroy the tenants and give the vineyard to others. Have
you not read this scripture:
"The stone that the builders rejected
   has become the cornerstone;
this was the Lord's doing,
   and it is amazing in our eyes"?'

When they realized that he had told this parable against
them, they wanted to arrest him, but they feared the
crowd. So they left him and went away.

For another Biblical reading,
Exodus 24:1-18

HYMN
Words: Latin, eighth century; trans. John Chandler, 1837
Tune: Harewood, Gopsal
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c065.html

Christ is our cornerstone,
on him alone we build;
with his true saints alone
the courts of heaven are filled:
on his great love
our hopes we place
of present grace
and joys above.

O then with hymns of praise
these hallowed courts shall ring;
our voices we will raise
the Three in One to sing;
and thus proclaim
in joyful song
both loud and long
that glorious Name.

Here, gracious Lord, do thou
for evermore draw nigh;
accept each faithful vow,
and mark each suppliant sigh:
in copious shower
on all who pray,
each holy day
thy blessings pour.

Here may we gain from heaven
the grace which we implore;
and may that grace, once given,
be with us evermore,
until that day
when all the blest
to endless rest
are called away.

Aware of God's gracious love for all creation,
let us pray for Christ's Church, the world and all who stand in need.

For the Church throughout the world,
especially in the Diocese of Southeast Florida, USA,
The Rt Revd Leopold Frade, Bishop;
and the Diocese of Southeastern Mexico,
The Rt Revd Benito Juarez-Martinez, Bishop,
that we  may proclaim the Good News
and bring reconciliation and healing to this planet.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For all Christians,
that they may know the power of the living Christ
and serve in faithful discipleship
filled with grace and love and peace.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For our country,
that its leaders may govern wisely and with compassion;
that its people may act responsibly toward one another
with fairness and for the common good.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For all nations,
that all peoples shall know peace with justice,
that together they may recognize their common interdependence
in sharing the resources of earth.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For the ties that bind us together,
that family members may respect one another with tender care,
that children are reared with a trust in the goodness of life,
that relations between friend and friend be open in loving honesty.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For those who are in trouble or in danger,
that regardless of circumstance
they may find hope and release
and know that they are not alone, but abide in you.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For the spread of God's good news to all the world,
that people shall increasingly seek to know God
and find their rest in him who came to save us,
Jesus Christ our Lord.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

God our help and strength,
look with mercy on all who are oppressed
in mind, body, or human dignity.
Shield and protect them,
and give them that wholeness
which is your will for all your children.
We ask this in the Name of Jesus Christ the Lord. Amen.

Bless the work entrusted to our hands,
that we may offer you an abundance of just works,
a rich harvest of peace. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is adapted from _Chalice Worship_, (c)
Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com