OREMUS: 2 October 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Oct 1 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, October 2, 2005
The Twentieth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, O God, the rock of our salvation,
whose gifts can never fail.
You deepen the faith you have already bestowed
and let its power be seen in your servants.

Hear, O Shepherd of Israel, leading Joseph like a flock;*
 shine forth, you that are enthroned upon the cherubim.
In the presence of Ephraim, Benjamin and Manasseh,*
 stir up your strength and come to help us.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
O Lord God of hosts,*
 how long will you be angered
   despite the prayers of your people?
You have fed them with the bread of tears;*
 you have given them bowls of tears to drink.
You have made us the derision of our neighbours,*
 and our enemies laugh us to scorn.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
You have brought a vine out of Egypt;*
 you cast out the nations and planted it.
You prepared the ground for it;*
 it took root and filled the land.
The mountains were covered by its shadow*
 and the towering cedar trees by its boughs.
You stretched out its tendrils to the Sea*
 and its branches to the River.
Why have you broken down its wall,*
 so that all who pass by pluck off its grapes?
The wild boar of the forest has ravaged it,*
 and the beasts of the field have grazed upon it.
Turn now, O God of hosts, look down from heaven;
   behold and tend this vine;*
 preserve what your right hand has planted.
They burn it with fire like rubbish;*
 at the rebuke of your countenance let them perish.
Let your hand be upon the man of your right hand,*
 the son of man you have made so strong for yourself.
And so will we never turn away from you;*
 give us life, that we may call upon your name.
Restore us, O Lord God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.

A Song of the Heavenly City (Revelation 21.22-26;22.1,2b,2d,3b-4)

I saw no temple in the city,
for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty
and the Lamb.

And the city has no need of sun or moon
to shine upon it,
for the glory of God is its light,
and its lamp is the Lamb.

By its light the nations shall walk,
and the rulers of the earth
shall bring their glory into it.

Its gates shall never be shut by day,
nor shall there be any night;
they shall bring into it
the glory and honour of the nations.

I saw the river of the water of life,
bright as crystal,
flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb.

And either side of the river stood the tree of life,
yielding its fruit each month,
and the leaves of the tree
were for the healing of the nations.

The throne of God and of the Lamb shall be there,
and his servants shall worship him;
and they shall see his face
and his name shall be on their foreheads.

for ever and ever. Amen.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Exodus 22:21-23:9]:

You shall not wrong or oppress a resident alien, for you
were aliens in the land of Egypt. You shall not abuse any
widow or orphan. If you do abuse them, when they cry out
to me, I will surely heed their cry; my wrath will burn,
and I will kill you with the sword, and your wives shall
become widows and your children orphans.
If you lend money to my people, to the poor among you,
you shall not deal with them as a creditor; you shall not
exact interest from them. If you take your neighbour's
cloak in pawn, you shall restore it before the sun goes
down; for it may be your neighbour's only clothing to use
as cover; in what else shall that person sleep? And if
your neighbour cries out to me, I will listen, for I am
compassionate.
You shall not revile God, or curse a leader of your
people.
You shall not delay to make offerings from the fullness
of your harvest and from the outflow of your presses.
The firstborn of your sons you shall give to me. You
shall do the same with your oxen and with your sheep: for
seven days it shall remain with its mother; on the eighth
day you shall give it to me.
You shall be people consecrated to me; therefore you
shall not eat any meat that is mangled by beasts in the
field; you shall throw it to the dogs.
You shall not spread a false report. You shall not join
hands with the wicked to act as a malicious witness. You
shall not follow a majority in wrongdoing; when you bear
witness in a lawsuit, you shall not side with the
majority so as to pervert justice; nor shall you be
partial to the poor in a lawsuit.
When you come upon your enemy's ox or donkey going
astray, you shall bring it back.
When you see the donkey of one who hates you lying under
its burden and you would hold back from setting it free,
you must help to set it free.
You shall not pervert the justice due to your poor in
their lawsuits. Keep far from a false charge, and do not
kill the innocent or those in the right, for I will not
acquit the guilty. You shall take no bribe, for a bribe
blinds the officials, and subverts the cause of those who
are in the right.
You shall not oppress a resident alien; you know the
heart of an alien, for you were aliens in the land of
Egypt.

For another Biblical reading,
Romans 16:1-16

HYMN
Words: Shirley Erena Murray, alt. (c)
Tune: Rhuddlan
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g203.html

God of freedom, God of justice,
God whose love is strong as death,
God who saw the dark of prison,
God who knew the price of faith:
touch our world of sad oppression
with your Spirit's healing breath.

Rid the earth of torture's terror,
God whose hands were nailed to wood;
hear the cries of pain and protest,
God who shed the tears and blood;
move in us the power of pity,
restless for the common good.

Make in us a captive conscience
quick to hear, to act, to plead;
make us truly sisters, brothers,
of whatever race or creed:
teach us to be fully human,
open to each other's need.

Let us pray with unwavering firmness
and offer petitions for all in need.

For all who gather in the faith of Christ.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the world and all peoples of the earth,
children of God and members of the human family.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the good earth and its fragile resources.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the birds of the air,
the beasts of the field,
and the fish of the sea.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all whose lives are marked by sickness and suffering
destruction and violence,
strife and contention.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For those who have died in Christ and for all the dead.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Lifting our voices with all creation,
with the blessed Virgin Mary, Francis, and all the saints,
let us offer ourselves and one another
to the living God through Christ.
To you, O Lord.

God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
who gives us a spirit of love and self-discipline,
hear our prayers for mercy
and guard your people in time of trial,
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Faithful God,
have mercy on us your unworthy servants,
and increase our faith,
that, trusting in your Spirit's power to work in us and through us,
we may never be ashamed to witness to our Lord
but may obediently serve him all our days;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Bless the work entrusted to our hands,
that we may offer you an abundance of just works,
a rich harvest of peace. Amen.

Canterbury Press, Norwich, 1999.

The intercession and first collect are by Ormonde Plater.