OREMUS: 30 November 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Nov 29 21:51:27 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Wednesday, November 30, 2005
Saint Andrew the Apostle

Blessed are you, loving God,
for the witness of your apostle Andrew,
who by his preaching of the Christ, your Son
and by his martyrdom
shared in the suffering and the glory
of all those called by Christ as his followers.

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 47

Clap your hands, all you peoples;*
 shout to God with a cry of joy.
For the Lord Most High is to be feared;*
 he is the great king over all the earth.
He subdues the peoples under us,*
 and the nations under our feet.
He chooses our inheritance for us,*
 the pride of Jacob whom he loves.
God has gone up with a shout,*
 the Lord with the sound of the ram's-horn.
Sing praises to God, sing praises;*
 sing praises to our king, sing praises.
For God is king of all the earth;*
 sing praises with all your skill.
God reigns over the nations;*
 God sits upon his holy throne.
The nobles of the peoples have gathered together*
 with the people of the God of Abraham.
The rulers of the earth belong to God,*
 and he is highly exalted.

Glory and Honor (Revelation 4:11; 5:9b)

You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honour and power.

For you have created all things,
and by your will they have their being.

You are worthy, O Lamb, for you were slain,
and by your blood you ransomed for God
saints from every tribe and language and nation.

You have made them to be a kingdom and priests
serving our God,
and they will reign with you on earth.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [John 1:35-42]:

The next day John again was standing with two of his
disciples, and as he watched Jesus walk by, he exclaimed,
'Look, here is the Lamb of God!' The two disciples heard
him say this, and they followed Jesus. When Jesus turned
and saw them following, he said to them, 'What are you
looking for?' They said to him, 'Rabbi' (which translated
means Teacher), 'where are you staying?' He said to them,
'Come and see.' They came and saw where he was staying,
and they remained with him that day. It was about four
o'clock in the afternoon. One of the two who heard John
speak and followed him was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother.
He first found his brother Simon and said to him, 'We
have found the Messiah' (which is translated Anointed).
He brought Simon to Jesus, who looked at him and said,
'You are Simon son of John. You are to be called Cephas'
(which is translated Peter).

For another Biblical reading,
Ezekiel 47:1-12

HYMN
Words: Cecil Frances Alexander, (1818-1895) 1852
Tune: St. Andrew, St. Oswald, Restoration, Merton
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/j/j026.html

Jesus calls us; o'er the tumult
of our life's wild, restless sea,
day by day his clear voice soundeth,
saying, "Christian, follow me;"

as, of old, Saint Andrew heart it
by the Galilean lake,
turned from home and toil and kindred,
leaving all for his dear sake.

Jesus calls us from the worship
of the vain world's golden store;
from each idol that would keep us,
saying, "Christian, love me more."

In our joys and in our sorrows,
days of toil and hours of ease,
still he calls, in cares and pleasures,
"Christian, love me more than these."

Jesus calls us! By thy mercies,
Savior, may we hear thy call,
give our hearts to thine obedience,
serve and love thee best of all.

Encouraged by our fellowship with all the saints,
let us make our prayers to the Father through our Lord
Jesus Christ.

Father, your Son called men and women to leave the
past behind them and to follow him as his disciples in
the way of the cross.  Look with mercy upon those whom he
has called today, marked with the cross and made his
disciples within the Church, remembering especially today
the Diocese of Kigeme, Rwanda, The Rt Revd Augustin Mvunabandi, Bishop;
and the Diocese of Kigezi, Uganda, The Rt Revd George Katwesigye, Bishop...
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son told his disciples not to be afraid, and at
Easter breathed on them his gift of peace.  Look with
mercy upon the world into which he sent them out, and
give it that peace for which it longs
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son formed around him a company who were no
longer servants but friends, and he called all those who
obeyed him his brother and sister and mother.  Look with
mercy upon our families and friends and upon the
communities in which we share
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son sent out disciples to preach and to heal the
sick.  Look with mercy on all those who yearn to hear the
good news of salvation, and renew among your people the
gifts of healing
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son promised to those who followed him that they
would sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel
and would share the banquet of the kingdom.  According to
your promise, look with mercy on those who have walked
with Christ in this life and now have passed through
death
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Almighty God,
who gave such grace to your apostle Saint Andrew
that he readily obeyed the call of your Son Jesus Christ
and brought his brother with him
call us by your holy Word,
and give us grace to follow you without delay
and to tell the good news of your kingdom;

Awaiting his coming in glory,

O Son of God, our Savior,
today we await your coming,
and tomorrow we shall see your glory.
Reveal the good news to all of us
who long for your arrival.
Come, Love incarnate, do not delay.
Come, Lord Jesus! Amen.

The intercession is from _Enriching the Christian Year_  SPCK,
compilation (c)Michael Perham 1993.

The collect is from _Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the
Church of England_, material from which is included in this service is

The closing sentence are adapted from _Chalice Worship_, (c)
Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

Most references to Andrew in the New Testament simply include him on a list
of the Twelve Apostles, or group him with his brother, Simon Peter. But he
appears acting as an individual three times in the Gospel of John. When a
number of Greeks (perhaps simply Greek-speeking Jews) wish to speak with
Jesus, they approach Philip, who tells Andrew, and the two of them tell Jesus
(Jn 12:20-22). (It may be relevant here that both "Philip" and "Andrew" are
Greek names.) Before Jesus feeds the Five Thousand, it is Andrew who says,
"Here is a lad with five barley loaves and two fish." (Jn 6:8f) And the first two
disciples whom John reports as attaching themselves to Jesus (Jn 1:35-42) are
Andrew and another disciple (whom John does not name, but who is
commonly supposed to be John himself -- John never mentions himself by
name, a widespread literary convention). Having met Jesus, Andrew then finds
his brother Simon and brings him to Jesus. Thus, on each occasion when he is
mentioned as an individual, it is because he is instrumental in bringing others to
meet the Saviour. In the Episcopal Church, the Fellowship of Saint Andrew is
devoted to encouraging personal evangelism, and the bringing of one's friends
and colleagues to a knowledge of the Gospel of Christ.
Just as Andrew was the first of the Apostles, so his feast is taken in the West to
be the beginning of the Church Year. The First Sunday of Advent is defined to
be the Sunday on or nearest his feast.
Several centuries after the death of Andrew, some of his relics were brought by
a missionary named Rule to Scotland, to a place then known as Fife, but now
known as St. Andrew's, and best known as the site of a world-famous golf
course and club. For this reason, Andrew is the patron of Scotland. [James
Kiefer, abridged]