OREMUS: 27 November 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Nov 26 17:58:42 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, November 27, 2005
The First Sunday of Advent

Blessed are you, loving God,
ever faithful to your promises
and ever close to your church.
The earth rejoices in hope of the Savior's coming
and looks forward with longing
to his return at the end of time.
You call us to prepare our hearts
and remove that which hinders us
from the joy and hope his presence will bestow.

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 12

Help me, Lord, for there is no godly one left;*
 the faithful have vanished from among us.
Everyone speaks falsely with their neighbour;*
 with a smooth tongue they speak from a double heart.
O that the Lord would cut off all smooth tongues,*
 and close the lips that utter proud boasts!
Those who say, 'With our tongue will we prevail;*
 our lips are our own; who is lord over us?'
'Because the needy are oppressed,
   and the poor cry out in misery,*
 I will rise up', says the Lord,
   'and give them the help they long for.'
The words of the Lord are pure words,*
 like silver refined from ore
   and purified seven times in the fire.
O Lord, watch over us*
 and save us from this generation for ever.
The wicked prowl on every side,*
 and that which is worthless is highly prized by everyone.

A Song of the Wilderness (Isaiah 35.1,2b-4a,4c-6,10)

The wilderness and the dry land shall rejoice,
the desert shall blossom and burst into song.

They shall see the glory of the Lord,
the majesty of our God.

Strengthen the weary hands,
and make firm the feeble knees.

Say to the anxious, 'Be strong, fear not,
your God is coming with judgement,
coming with judgement to save you.'

Then shall the eyes of the blind be opened,
and the ears of the deaf unstopped;

Then shall the lame leap like a hart,
and the tongue of the dumb sing for joy.

For waters shall break forth in the wilderness,
and streams in the desert;

The ransomed of the Lord shall return with singing,
with everlasting joy upon their heads.

Joy and gladness shall be theirs,
and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Luke 12:35-48]:

Jesus said, 'Be dressed for action and have your lamps
lit; be like those who are waiting for their master to
return from the wedding banquet, so that they may open
the door for him as soon as he comes and knocks. Blessed
are those slaves whom the master finds alert when he
comes; truly I tell you, he will fasten his belt and have
them sit down to eat, and he will come and serve them. If
he comes during the middle of the night, or near dawn,
and finds them so, blessed are those slaves.
'But know this: if the owner of the house had known at
what hour the thief was coming, he would not have let his
house be broken into. You also must be ready, for the Son
of Man is coming at an unexpected hour.'
Peter said, 'Lord, are you telling this parable for us or
for everyone?' And the Lord said, 'Who then is the
faithful and prudent manager whom his master will put in
charge of his slaves, to give them their allowance of
food at the proper time? Blessed is that slave whom his
master will find at work when he arrives. Truly I tell
you, he will put that one in charge of all his
possessions. But if that slave says to himself, "My
master is delayed in coming", and if he begins to beat
the other slaves, men and women, and to eat and drink and
get drunk, the master of that slave will come on a day
when he does not expect him and at an hour that he does
not know, and will cut him in pieces, and put him with
the unfaithful. That slave who knew what his master
wanted, but did not prepare himself or do what was
wanted, will receive a severe beating. But one who did
not know and did what deserved a beating will receive a
light beating. From everyone to whom much has been given,
much will be required; and from one to whom much has been
entrusted, even more will be demanded.

For another Biblical reading,
Isaiah 65:17-25

HYMN
Words: Laurentius Laurenti, 1700; trans. Sarah Findlater
Tune: Llangloffan, Lancashire, Greenland
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/r/r023.html

Rejoice, rejoice, believers,
and let your lights appear;
the evening is advancing,
and darker night is near.
The Bridegroom is arising,
and soon he draweth nigh;
up, pray, and watch, and wrestle:
at midnight comes the cry.

See that your lamps are burning;
replenish them with oil;
and wait for your salvation,
the end of earthly toil.
The watchers on the mountain
proclaim the Bridegroom near;
go meet him as he cometh,
with alleluias clear.

O wise and holy virgins,
now raise your voices higher,
until in songs of triumph
ye meet the angel choir.
The marriage feast is waiting,
the gates wide open stand;
rise up, ye heirs of glory,
the Bridegroom is at hand.

Our hope and expectation,
O Jesus, now appear!
Arise, thou Sun so longed for,
over this benighted sphere!
With hearts and hands uplifted,
we plead, O Lord, to see
the day of earth's redemption
that brings us unto thee.

For the Church:
that we may have the eyes of faith to recognize God's invitation
in the signs of our time and to recognize ways
to help others see God's redeeming love.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the grace of hope:
that our hearts may be filled with childlike expectancy
as we await the coming of God's reign in our lives.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For strength and peace in the face of suffering:
that God will plant the divine Word of hope deep in our hearts
and give us the strength to remain faithful
even when tragedy and suffering enter our lives.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all who live in fear and confusion,
for those living in refugee camps or mighty fortresses,
for those who have suffered abuse
or who live with painful memories of wrongs they have done:
that God's loving embrace will free them from fear
and open a new way of life for them.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all burdened with guilt and scruples:
that they may experience God's redeeming love
and accept the gift of freedom that God's love brings.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For all people:
that Christ may increase our love for one another
and help us to be overflowing with generosity.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Faithful God,
your promises stand unshaken through all generations:
Renew us in hope, that we may be awake and alert
watching for the glorious return of Jesus Christ,
our judge and savior,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

O Son of God, our Savior,
today we await your coming,
and tomorrow we shall see your glory.
Reveal the good news to all of us
who long for your arrival.
Come, Love incarnate, do not delay.
Come, Lord Jesus! Amen.

_Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with
permission.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer by the Center for Liturgy at Saint
Louis University.

Westminster / John Knox Press.