OREMUS: 25 November 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Nov 24 17:00:00 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Friday, November 25, 2005

Blessed are you, loving God,
for you raised up your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
and seated him at your right hand
as the Shepherd and King
who seeks what is lost,
binds up what is wounded,
and strengthens what is weak.

 I will tell of all your marvellous works.
I will be glad and rejoice in you;*
 I will sing to your name, O Most High.
When my enemies are driven back,*
 they will stumble and perish at your presence.
For you have maintained my right and my cause;*
 you sit upon your throne judging right.
You have rebuked the ungodly and destroyed the wicked;*
 you have blotted out their name for ever and ever.
As for the enemy, they are finished, in perpetual ruin,*
 their cities ploughed under,
   the memory of them perished;
But the Lord is enthroned for ever;*
 he has set up his throne for judgement.
It is he who rules the world with righteousness;*
 he judges the peoples with equity.
The Lord will be a refuge for the oppressed,*
 a refuge in time of trouble.
Those who know your name will put their trust in you,*
 for you never forsake those who seek you, O Lord.
Sing praise to the Lord who dwells in Zion;*
 proclaim to the peoples the things he has done.
The avenger of blood will remember them;*
 he will not forget the cry of the afflicted.
Have pity on me, O Lord;*
 see the misery I suffer from those who hate me,
   O you who lift me up from the gate of death;
So that I may tell of all your praises
   and rejoice in your salvation*
 in the gates of the city of Zion.
The ungodly have fallen into the pit they dug,*
 and in the snare they set is their own foot caught.
The Lord is known by his acts of justice;*
 the wicked are trapped in the works of their own hands.
The wicked shall be given over to the grave,*
 and also all the peoples that forget God.
For the needy shall not always be forgotten,*
 and the hope of the poor shall not perish for ever.
Rise up, O Lord,
   let not the ungodly have the upper hand;*
 let them be judged before you.
Put fear upon them, O Lord;*
 let the ungodly know they are but mortal.

A Song of the Righteous (Wisdom 3:1,2a,3b-8)

The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God
 and no torment will ever touch them.

In the eyes of the foolish, they seem to have died;
 but they are at peace.

For though, in the sight of others, they were punished,
 their hope is of immortality.

Having been disciplined a little,
 they will receive great good,
 because God tested them and found them worthy.

Like gold in the furnace, God tried them
 and, like a sacrificial burnt offering, accepted them.

In the time of their visitation, they will shine forth
 and will run like sparks through the stubble.

They will govern nations and rule over peoples
 and God will reign over them for ever.

READING [Ezekiel 37:15-28]:

The word of the LORD came to me: Mortal, take a stick and
write on it, 'For Judah, and the Israelites associated
with it'; then take another stick and write on it, 'For
Joseph (the stick of Ephraim) and all the house of Israel
associated with it'; and join them together into one
stick, so that they may become one in your hand. And when
your people say to you, 'Will you not show us what you
mean by these?' say to them, Thus says the Lord GOD: I am
about to take the stick of Joseph (which is in the hand
of Ephraim) and the tribes of Israel associated with it;
and I will put the stick of Judah upon it, and make them
one stick, in order that they may be one in my hand. When
the sticks on which you write are in your hand before
their eyes, then say to them, Thus says the Lord GOD: I
will take the people of Israel from the nations among
which they have gone, and will gather them from every
quarter, and bring them to their own land. I will make
them one nation in the land, on the mountains of Israel;
and one king shall be king over them all. Never again
shall they be two nations, and never again shall they be
divided into two kingdoms. They shall never again defile
themselves with their idols and their detestable things,
or with any of their transgressions. I will save them
from all the apostasies into which they have fallen, and
will cleanse them. Then they shall be my people, and I
will be their God.
My servant David shall be king over them; and they shall
all have one shepherd. They shall follow my ordinances
and be careful to observe my statutes. They shall live in
the land that I gave to my servant Jacob, in which your
ancestors lived; they and their children and their
children's children shall live there for ever; and my
servant David shall be their prince for ever. I will make
a covenant of peace with them; it shall be an everlasting
covenant with them; and I will bless them and multiply
them, and will set my sanctuary among them for evermore.
My dwelling-place shall be with them; and I will be their
God, and they shall be my people. Then the nations shall
know that I the LORD sanctify Israel, when my sanctuary
is among them for evermore.

For another Biblical reading,
James 4

HYMN
Words: Carl P. Daw, Jr. (c)
Tune: Jerusalem
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o101.html

O day of peace that dimly shines
through all our hopes and prayers and dreams,
guide us to justice, truth, and love,
delivered from our selfish schemes.
May the swords of hate fall from our hands,
our hearts from envy find release,
till by God's grace our warring world
shall see Christ's promised reign of peace.

Then shall the wolf dwell with the lamb,
nor shall the fierce devour the small;
as beasts and cattle calmly graze,
a little child shall lead them all.
Then enemies shall learn to love,
all creatures find their true accord;
the hope of peace shall be fulfilled,
for all the earth shall know the Lord.

To the poor and exploited;
to lives overshadowed by conflict,
come with your message of justice and peace
Come, reveal yourself within our world, Lord.

To the lonely and unloved;
to lives overshadowed by suffering,
come with your friendship and concern
Come, reveal yourself in our community, Lord.

To both young and old on the journey of faith;
to lives overshadowed by doubt,
come with the gift of your Holy Spirit
Come, reveal yourself to the church, Lord.

To the sinner and the seeker;
to lives overshadowed by emptiness,
come with the offering of salvation
Come, reveal yourself in human lives, Lord.

To the sick and anxious;
to lives overshadowed by sorrow,
come with all-sufficient love
Come, that we may know you with us in our need, Lord.

Righteous Judge,
hear the cries of your people.
Rescue them from the hands of their oppressors,
and save them from the gates of death,
that we may always rejoice in your help;
through Jesus Christ our Savior and Defender. Amen.

May Christ our King make us faithful and strong to do his will,
that we may reign with him in glory; Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from a prayer reprinted from
_Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002
Consultation on Common Texts.

The closing sentence is from _Common Worship: Services and Prayers
for the Church of England_, material from which is included in this
service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The intercession is by Christine Odell.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com