OREMUS: 24 November 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Nov 23 20:38:59 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Thursday, November 24, 2005
[Thanksgiving Day, United States]

Blessed are you, loving Creator,
for you clothe the lilies
and feed the birds of the sky,
lead the lambs to pasture
and the deer to water;
you multiplied loaves and fishes
and changed water into wine,
you lead us, feed us, multiply us,
and change us to reflect
your glory through all eternity.

I will exalt you, O God my King,*
 and bless your name for ever and ever.
Every day will I bless you*
 and praise your name for ever and ever.
Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised;*
 there is no end to his greatness.
One generation shall praise your works to another*
 and shall declare your power.
I will ponder the glorious splendour of your majesty*
 and all your marvellous works.
They shall speak of the might of your wondrous acts,*
 and I will tell of your greatness.
They shall publish the remembrance
   of your great goodness;*
 they shall sing of your righteous deeds.
The Lord is gracious and full of compassion,*
 slow to anger and of great kindness.
The Lord is loving to everyone*
 and his compassion is over all his works.
All your works praise you, O Lord,*
 and your faithful servants bless you.
They make known the glory of your kingdom*
 and speak of your power;
That the peoples may know of your power*
 and the glorious splendour of your kingdom.
Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom;*
 your dominion endures throughout all ages.
The Lord is faithful in all his words*
 and merciful in all his deeds.
The Lord upholds all those who fall;*
 he lifts up those who are bowed down.
The eyes of all wait upon you, O Lord,*
 and you give them their food in due season.
You open wide your hand*
 and satisfy the needs of every living creature.
The Lord is righteous in all his ways*
 and loving in all his works.
The Lord is near to those who call upon him,*
 to all who call upon him faithfully.
He fulfils the desire of those who fear him,*
 he hears their cry and helps them.
The Lord preserves all those who love him,*
 but he destroys all the wicked.
My mouth shall speak the praise of the Lord;*
 let all flesh bless his holy name for ever and ever.

Benedicite   A Song of Creation (The Song of the Three 35-65

Bless the Lord all you works of the Lord:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you heavens:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you angels of the Lord:
bless the Lord all you his hosts;

bless the Lord you waters above the heavens:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord sun and moon:
bless the Lord you stars of heaven;

bless the Lord all rain and dew:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord all winds that blow:
bless the Lord you fire and heat;

bless the Lord scorching wind and bitter cold:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord dews and falling snows:
bless the Lord you nights and days;

bless the Lord light and darkness:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord frost and cold:
bless the Lord you ice and snow;

bless the Lord lightnings and clouds:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

O let the earth bless the Lord:
bless the Lord you mountains and hills;

bless the Lord all that grows in the ground:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord you springs:
bless the Lord you seas and rivers;

bless the Lord you whales and all that swim in the waters:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord all birds of the air:
bless the Lord you beasts and cattle;

bless the Lord all people on earth:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

O people of God bless the Lord:
bless the Lord you priests of the Lord;

bless the Lord you servants of the Lord:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

Bless the Lord all you of upright spirit:
bless the Lord you that are holy and humble in heart;

bless the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit:
sing his praise and exalt him for ever.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

READING [Deuteronomy 26:1-11]:

When you have come into the land that the LORD your God
is giving you as an inheritance to possess, and you
possess it, and settle in it, you shall take some of the
first of all the fruit of the ground, which you harvest
from the land that the LORD your God is giving you, and
you shall put it in a basket and go to the place that the
LORD your God will choose as a dwelling for his name. You
shall go to the priest who is in office at that time, and
say to him, 'Today I declare to the LORD your God that I
have come into the land that the LORD swore to our
ancestors to give us.' When the priest takes the basket
from your hand and sets it down before the altar of the
LORD your God, you shall make this response before the
LORD your God: 'A wandering Aramean was my ancestor; he
went down into Egypt and lived there as an alien, few in
number, and there he became a great nation, mighty and
populous. When the Egyptians treated us harshly and
afflicted us, by imposing hard labour on us, we cried to
the LORD, the God of our ancestors; the LORD heard our
voice and saw our affliction, our toil, and our
oppression. The LORD brought us out of Egypt with a
mighty hand and an outstretched arm, with a terrifying
display of power, and with signs and wonders; and he
brought us into this place and gave us this land, a land
flowing with milk and honey. So now I bring the first of
the fruit of the ground that you, O LORD, have given me.'
You shall set it down before the LORD your God and bow
down before the LORD your God. Then you, together with
the Levites and the aliens who reside among you, shall
celebrate with all the bounty that the LORD your God has
given to you and to your house.

For another Biblical reading,
John
6:26-35

HYMN
Words: Frank von Christierson (c)
Tune: Tyrol, Forest Green
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a351.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a351.html

As saints of old their first fruits brought
of orchard, flock, and field
to God the giver all good,
the source of bounteous yield;
so we today first fruits would bring:
the wealth of this good land,
of farm and market, shop and home,
of mind, and heart, and hand.

A world in need now summons us
to labor, love, and give;
to make our life an offering
that others too may live.
The Church of Christ is calling us
to make the dream come true:
a world redeemed, your kingdom come,
all life in Christ made new.

In gratitude and humble trust
we bring our best today,
to serve your cause and share your love
with all humanity.
O God, who gave yourself to us
in Jesus Christ your Son,
teach us to give ourselves each day
until life's work is done.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
Give thanks to the Lord who is good.
God's love is everlasting.
Come, let us praise God joyfully.
Let us come to God with thanksgiving.

For the good world;
for things great and small, beautiful and awesome;
for seen and unseen splendors;
Thank you, God.

For human life;
for talking and moving and thinking together;
for common hopes and hardships shared from birth
until our dying;
Thank you, God.

For work to do and strength to work;
for the comradeship of labor;
for exchanges of good humor and encouragement;
Thank you, God.

For committed relationships;
for the mystery and joy of love;
for mutual forgiveness and burdens shared;
for secrets kept in love;
Thank you, God.

For family;
for living together and eating together;
for family amusements and family pleasures;
Thank you, God.

For children;
for their energy and curiosity;
for their brave play and startling frankness;
for their sudden sympathies;
Thank you, God.

For the young;
for their high hopes;
for their irreverence toward worn-out values;
for their search for freedom;
for their solemn vows;
Thank you, God.

For growing up and growing old;
for wisdom deepened by experience;
for rest in leisure;
and for time made precious by its passing;
Thank you, God.

For your help in times of doubt and sorrow;
for healing our diseases;
for preserving us in temptation and danger;
Thank you, God.

For the church into which we have been called;
for the good news we receive by Word and Sacrament;
for our life together in the Lord;
We praise you, God.

For your Holy Spirit,
who guides our steps and
brings us gifts of faith and love;
who prays in us and prompts our grateful worship;
We praise you, God.

Above all, O God, for your Son Jesus Christ,
who lived and died and lives again for our salvation;
for our hope in him;
and for the joy of serving him;
We thank and praise you, Eternal God,
for all your goodness to us.

Give thanks to the Lord, who is good.
God's love is everlasting.

Almighty and gracious Father,
we give you thanks
for the fruits of the earth in their season
and for the labors of those who harvest them.
Make us, we pray, faithful stewards of your great bounty,
for the provision of our necessities
 and the relief of all who are in need,
to the glory of your Name;

we pray as our Savior has taught us:

- The Lord's Prayer

May our praise continually blend
with that of all creation,
until we come to the eternal joys
which you promise in your love;

Hymn (c) 1961, Ren. 1989 by The Hymn Society
(admin. by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL 60188).
All rights reserved. Used by permission.
For permission to reproduce this hymn, contact: Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com

The intercession and the collect are from _Book of Common
Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

The closing sentence is by J.H. Jowett.