OREMUS: 22 November 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Nov 21 20:35:54 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Blessed are you, loving God,
for you raised up your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
and seated him at your right hand
as the Shepherd and King
who seeks what is lost,
binds up what is wounded,
and strengthens what is weak.

Blessed be the Lord my rock!*
 who trains my hands to fight and my fingers to battle;
My help and my fortress,
   my stronghold and my deliverer,*
 my shield in whom I trust,
   who subdues the peoples under me.
O Lord, what are we that you should care for us?*
 mere mortals that you should think of us?
We are like a puff of wind;*
 our days are like a passing shadow.
Bow your heavens, O Lord, and come down;*
 touch the mountains and they shall smoke.
Hurl the lightning and scatter them;*
 shoot out your arrows and rout them.
Stretch out your hand from on high;*
 rescue me and deliver me from the great waters,
   from the hand of foreign peoples,
Whose mouths speak deceitfully*
 and whose right hand is raised in falsehood.
O God, I will sing to you a new song;*
 I will play to you on a ten-stringed lyre.
You give victory to kings*
 and have rescued David your servant.
Rescue me from the hurtful sword*
 and deliver me from the hand of foreign peoples,
Whose mouths speak deceitfully*
 and whose right hand is raised in falsehood.
May our sons be like plants
   well nurtured from their youth,*
 and our daughters like sculptured corners of a palace.
May our barns be filled to overflowing*
 with all manner of crops;
May the flocks in our pastures
   increase by thousands and tens of thousands;*
 may our cattle be fat and sleek.
May there be no breaching of the walls,
   no going into exile,*
 no wailing in the public squares.
Happy are the people of whom this is so!*
 happy are the people whose God is the Lord!

A Song of the Redeemed (Revelation 7. 9-10,14b-17)

Behold, a great multitude
 which no one could number,

>From every nation,
from all tribes and peoples and tongues,
 standing before the throne and the Lamb.

They were clothed in white robes
 and had palms in their hands,
 and they cried with a loud voice, saying,

'Salvation belongs to our God
 who sits on the throne,
 and to the Lamb.'

These are they
who have come out of the great tribulation,
 they have washed their robes
 and made them white in the blood of the Lamb;

Therefore they stand before the throne of God,
 whom they serve day and night within the temple.

And the One who sits upon the throne
 will shelter them with his presence.

They shall never again feel hunger or thirst,
 the sun shall not strike them,
 nor any scorching heat.

For the Lamb at the heart of the throne
 will be their Shepherd,

He will guide them to springs of living water,
 and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.

 for ever and ever. Amen.

READING [Ezekiel 36:16-27]:

The word of the LORD came to me: Mortal, when the house
of Israel lived on their own soil, they defiled it with
their ways and their deeds; their conduct in my sight was
like the uncleanness of a woman in her menstrual period.
So I poured out my wrath upon them for the blood that
they had shed upon the land, and for the idols with which
they had defiled it. I scattered them among the nations,
and they were dispersed through the countries; in
accordance with their conduct and their deeds I judged
them. But when they came to the nations, wherever they
came, they profaned my holy name, in that it was said of
them, 'These are the people of the LORD, and yet they had
to go out of his land.' But I had concern for my holy
name, which the house of Israel had profaned among the
nations to which they came.
Therefore say to the house of Israel, Thus says the Lord
GOD: It is not for your sake, O house of Israel, that I
am about to act, but for the sake of my holy name, which
you have profaned among the nations to which you came. I
will sanctify my great name, which has been profaned
among the nations, and which you have profaned among
them; and the nations shall know that I am the LORD, says
the Lord GOD, when through you I display my holiness
before their eyes. I will take you from the nations, and
gather you from all the countries, and bring you into
your own land. I will sprinkle clean water upon you, and
you shall be clean from all your uncleannesses, and from
all your idols I will cleanse you. A new heart I will
give you, and a new spirit I will put within you; and I
will remove from your body the heart of stone and give
you a heart of flesh. I will put my spirit within you,
and make you follow my statutes and be careful to observe
my ordinances.

For another Biblical reading,
James 2:1-13

HYMN
Words: Ancient Irish hymn;
trans. Mary Byrne, 1905, and versified by Eleanor Hull, 1912
Tune: Slane
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b021.html

Be thou my vision, O Lord of my heart,
be all else but naught to me, save that thou art;
be thou my best thought in the day and the night,
both waking and sleeping, thy presence my light.

Be thou my wisdom, be thou my true word,
be thou ever with me, and I with thee Lord;
be thou my great Father, and I thy true son;
be thou in me dwelling, and I with thee one.

Be thou my breastplate, my sword for the fight;
be thou my whole armor, be thou my true might;
be thou my soul's shelter, be thou my strong tower:
O raise thou me heavenward, great Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise:
be thou mine inheritance now and always;
be thou and thou only the first in my heart;
O Sovereign of heaven, my treasure thou art.

High King of heaven, thou heaven's bright sun,
O grant me its joys after victory is won;
great Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
still be thou my vision, O Ruler of all.

In joyful expectation of his coming to our aid
we pray to Jesus, saying,
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

Come to your Church as Lord and Judge.
We pray for the Diocese of Toronto, Canada,
The Rt Revd Colin Robert Johnson, Bishop ...
Help us to live in the light of your coming
and give us a longing for your rule.
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

Come to your world as King of the nations.
We pray for ...
Before you rulers will stand in silence.
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

Come to your people with a message of victory and peace.
We pray for ...
Give us the victory over death, temptation and evil.
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

Come to us as Saviour and Comforter.
We pray for ...
Break in to those areas of our lives
where we live with failure and distress,
and set us free to serve you for ever.
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

Come to us from heaven with power and great glory,
to lift us up to meet you,
with all your saints and angels,
to live with you for ever.
Maranatha:
Come, Lord Jesus.

Eternal God,
whose Son struggled against the forces
which enfeeble and enslave your people:
shield us from evil and all deception,
that we may enter your truth
and enjoy the abundance of his risen life;
who with you and the Holy Spirit
is alive and reigns for ever and ever. Amen.

May Christ our King make us faithful and strong to do his will,
that we may reign with him in glory; Amen.

The psalms, collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from a prayer reprinted from
_Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002
Consultation on Common Texts.

The closing sentence is from _Common Worship: Services and Prayers
for the Church of England_, material from which is included in this
service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The intercession is from _The Promise of His Glory_ (Mowbray),
(c) The Central Board of Finance  of the Church of England 1990, 1991,
which is used with permission.