OREMUS: 21 November 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Nov 20 21:28:26 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Monday, November 21, 2005

Blessed are you, loving God,
for you raised up your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
and seated him at your right hand
as the Shepherd and King
who seeks what is lost,
binds up what is wounded,
and strengthens what is weak.

O Lord God of vengeance,*
 O God of vengeance, show yourself.
Rise up, O Judge of the world;*
 give the arrogant their just deserts.
How long shall the wicked, O Lord,*
 how long shall the wicked triumph?
They bluster in their insolence;*
 all evildoers are full of boasting.
They crush your people, O Lord,*
 and afflict your chosen nation.
They murder the widow and the stranger*
 and put the orphans to death.
Yet they say, 'The Lord does not see,*
 the God of Jacob takes no notice.'
Consider well, you dullards among the people;*
 when will you fools understand?
He that planted the ear, does he not hear?*
 he that formed the eye, does he not see?
He who admonishes the nations, will he not punish?*
 he who teaches all the world, has he no knowledge?
The Lord knows our human thoughts;*
 how like a puff of wind they are.
Happy are they whom you instruct, O Lord!*
 whom you teach out of your law;
To give them rest in evil days,*
 until a pit is dug for the wicked.
For the Lord will not abandon his people,*
 nor will he forsake his own.
For judgement will again be just,*
 and all the true of heart will follow it.
Who rose up for me against the wicked?*
 who took my part against the evildoers?
If the Lord had not come to my help,*
 I should soon have dwelt in the land of silence.
As often as I said, 'My foot has slipped',*
 your love, O Lord, upheld me.
When many cares fill my mind,*
 your consolations cheer my soul.
Can a corrupt tribunal have any part with you,*
 one which frames evil into law?
They conspire against the life of the just*
 and condemn the innocent to death.
But the Lord has become my stronghold,*
 and my God the rock of my trust.
He will turn their wickedness back upon them
   and destroy them in their own malice;*
 the Lord our God will destroy them.

A Song of Wisdom (Wisdom 9.1-5a,5c-6,9-11)

O God of our ancestors and Lord of mercy,
you have made all things by your word.

By your wisdom you have formed us
to have dominion over the creatures you have made;

To rule the world in holiness and righteousness
and to pronounce judgement in uprightness of soul.

Give us the Wisdom that sits by your throne;
do not reject us from among your servants,

For we are your servants,
with little understanding of judgement and laws.

Even one who is perfect among us
will be regarded as nothing
without the wisdom that comes from you.

With you is Wisdom, she who knows your works,
and was present when you made the world.

She understands what is pleasing in your sight
and what is right according to your commandments.

Send her forth from the holy heavens,
from the throne of your glory send her.

That she may labour at our side
and that we may learn what is pleasing to you.

For she knows and understands all things,
she will guide us wisely in our actions
and guard us with her glory.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Ezekiel 36:1a,8-15]:

And you, mortal, prophesy to the mountains of Israel, and
say: You, O mountains of Israel, shall shoot out your
branches, and yield your fruit to my people Israel; for
they shall soon come home. See now, I am for you; I will
turn to you, and you shall be tilled and sown; and I will
multiply your population, the whole house of Israel, all
of it; the towns shall be inhabited and the waste places
rebuilt; and I will multiply human beings and animals
upon you. They shall increase and be fruitful; and I will
cause you to be inhabited as in your former times, and
will do more good to you than ever before. Then you shall
know that I am the LORD. I will lead people upon you my
people Israel and they shall possess you, and you shall
be their inheritance. No longer shall you bereave them of
children.
Thus says the Lord GOD: Because they say to you, 'You
devour people, and you bereave your nation of children',
therefore you shall no longer devour people and no longer
bereave your nation of children, says the Lord GOD; and
no longer will I let you hear the insults of the nations,
no longer shall you bear the disgrace of the peoples; and
no longer shall you cause your nation to stumble, says
the Lord GOD.

For another Biblical reading,
James 1:19-27

HYMN
Words: Robert Robinson, 1758
Tune: Nettleton
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c302.html

Come, thou fount of every blessing,
tune my heart to sing thy grace;
streams of mercy, never ceasing,
call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I'm fixed upon it,
mount of thy redeeming love.

Here I raise my Ebenezer;
here by thy great help I've come;
and I hope, by thy good pleasure,
safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger,
wandering from the fold of God;
he, to rescue me from danger,
interposed his precious blood.

O to grace how great a debtor
daily I'm constrained to be!
Let thy goodness, like a fetter,
bind my wandering heart to thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
prone to leave the God I love;
here's my heart, O take and seal it,
seal it for thy courts above.

O God, you are filled with possibility and mystery.
You hold our anxieties and our hopes.

Your faithful forget to praise you, consumed by self-centered busyness,
O God of stillness, come into our hearts.

Your beloved community is baffled and broken,
O God of healing, come into our churches.

We pray especially today for the Diocese of
Torit, Sudan, The Rt Revd Wilson Arop Ogwok Ocheng, Bishop;
and the Diocese of Wau, Sudan, The Rt Revd Henry Cuir Riak, Bishop.

Your people wander in the streets without a place to lay their head,
O God our resting place, come into our neighborhoods.

Your world is torn apart by war and conflict,
O God of Peace, come into our world.

Night and day, we wait and pray, for you, our Emmanuel. Amen.

O just Judge of all the world,
when the dark power of evil threatens your creation,
may we, through your strength within us, maintain
the sure knowledge of your love and mercy,
which we see in your Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

May Christ our King make us faithful and strong to do his will,
that we may reign with him in glory; Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from a prayer reprinted from
_Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002
Consultation on Common Texts.

The closing sentence is from _Common Worship: Services and Prayers
for the Church of England_, material from which is included in this
service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer by Allison Hajdu-Paulen

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com