OREMUS: 20 November 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Nov 19 23:13:39 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, November 20, 2005
The Last Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, God our Father,
for with the oil of gladness
you have anointed Christ the Lord, your only Son,
to be our great high priest and king of all creation.
As priest, he offered himself once for all upon the altar of the cross
and redeemed the human race by this perfect sacrifice of peace.
As king he claims dominion over all your creatures,
that he may bring before your infinite majesty
a kingdom of truth and life,
a kingdom of holiness and grace,
a kingdom of justice, love and peace.

The Lord is king; he has put on splendid apparel;*
 the Lord has put on his apparel
   and girded himself with strength.
He has made the whole world so sure*
 that it cannot be moved;
Ever since the world began,
   your throne has been established;*
 you are from everlasting.
The waters have lifted up, O Lord,
   the waters have lifted up their voice;*
 the waters have lifted up their pounding waves.
Mightier than the sound of many waters,
   mightier than the breakers of the sea,*
 mightier is the Lord who dwells on high.
Your testimonies are very sure,*
 and holiness adorns your house, O Lord,
   for ever and for evermore.

Psalm 97

The Lord is king; let the earth rejoice;*
 let the multitude of the isles be glad.
Clouds and darkness are round about him,*
 righteousness and justice
   are the foundations of his throne.
A fire goes before him*
 and burns up his enemies on every side.
His lightnings light up the world;*
 the earth sees it and is afraid.
The mountains melt like wax
   at the presence of the Lord,*
 at the presence of the Lord of the whole earth.
The heavens declare his righteousness,*
 and all the peoples see his glory.
Confounded be all who worship carved images
   and delight in false gods!*
 Bow down before him, all you gods.
Zion hears and is glad and the cities of Judah rejoice,*
 because of your judgements, O Lord.
For you are the Lord: most high over all the earth;*
 you are exalted far above all gods.
The Lord loves those who hate evil;*
 he preserves the lives of his saints
   and delivers them from the hand of the wicked.
Light has sprung up for the righteous,*
 and joyful gladness for those who are true-hearted.
Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous,*
 and give thanks to his holy name.

A Song of God's Assembled (Hebrews 12:22-24a,28-29)

We have come before God's holy mountain,
to the heavenly Jerusalem, the city of the living God.

We have come before countless angels making festival,
before the assembly of the firstborn citizens of heaven.

We have come before God, who is judge of all,
before the spirits of the just made perfect.

We have come before Jesus,
the mediator of the new covenant.

We are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken:
so let us give thanks and offer to God acceptable worship,

full of reverence and awe;
for our God is a consuming fire.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [1 Samuel 16:2-13]:

Samuel said, 'How can I go? If Saul hears of it, he will
kill me.' And the LORD said, 'Take a heifer with you, and
say, "I have come to sacrifice to the LORD." Invite Jesse
to the sacrifice, and I will show you what you shall do;
and you shall anoint for me the one whom I name to you.'
Samuel did what the LORD commanded, and came to
Bethlehem. The elders of the city came to meet him
trembling, and said, 'Do you come peaceably?' He said,
'Peaceably; I have come to sacrifice to the LORD;
sanctify yourselves and come with me to the sacrifice.'
And he sanctified Jesse and his sons and invited them to
the sacrifice.
When they came, he looked on Eliab and thought, 'Surely
the LORD's anointed is now before the LORD.' But the LORD
said to Samuel, 'Do not look on his appearance or on the
height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for
the LORD does not see as mortals see; they look on the
outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart.'
Then Jesse called Abinadab, and made him pass before
Samuel. He said, 'Neither has the LORD chosen this one.'
Then Jesse made Shammah pass by. And he said, 'Neither
has the LORD chosen this one.' Jesse made seven of his
sons pass before Samuel, and Samuel said to Jesse, 'The
LORD has not chosen any of these.' Samuel said to Jesse,
'Are all your sons here?' And he said, 'There remains yet
the youngest, but he is keeping the sheep.' And Samuel
said to Jesse, 'Send and bring him; for we will not sit
down until he comes here.' He sent and brought him in.
Now he was ruddy, and had beautiful eyes, and was
handsome. The LORD said, 'Rise and anoint him; for this
is the one.' Then Samuel took the horn of oil, and
anointed him in the presence of his brothers; and the
spirit of the LORD came mightily upon David from that day
forward. Samuel then set out and went to Ramah.

For another Biblical reading,
Matthew 21:1-11

HYMN
Words: James Montgomery (1771-1854)
Tune: Crger, Es flog ein kleins Waldv”glein
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h043.html

Hail to the Lord's Anointed,
great David's greater Son!
Hail, in the time appointed,
his reign on earth begun!
He comes to break oppression,
to set the captive free,
to take away transgression,
and rule in equity.

He comes, with succour speedy,
to those who suffer wrong;
to help the poor and needy,
and bid the weak be strong;
to give them songs for sighing,
their darkness turn to light,
whose souls, condemned and dying,
were precious in his sight.

He shall come down like showers
upon the fruitful earth;
love, joy, and hope, like flowers,
spring in his path to birth;
before him, on the mountains,
shall peace the herald go;
and righteousness, in fountains,
from hill to valley flow.

Kings shall fall down before him,
and gold and incense bring;
all nations shall adore him,
his praise all people sing;
to him shall prayer unceasing
and daily vows ascend,
his kingdom still increasing,
a kingdom without end.

O'er every foe victorious,
he on his throne shall rest;
from age to age more glorious,
all-blessing and all-blest.
the tide of time shall never
his covenant remove;
his name shall stand for ever,
his changeless Name of love.

Knowing our God as the Shepherd King,
we turn to prayer for our own needs and those of all people:

You have gathered us into a people to call your own.
May our leaders who shepherd in your name,
bishops, priests, deacons, and lay ministers and leaders,
be gifted with your wisdom and justice.
Shepherd us, O God, from death to life.

The nations long to be guided in the paths of righteousness.
Give politicians and civil servants renewed vision and energy
for their work of preparing and implementing policies
for the welfare of all citizens.
Shepherd us, O God, from death to life.

You have charged us with the care
of the hungry, the stranger, the naked, the sick, the prisoner.
Open our eyes to see you in those without any other hope.
Shepherd us, O God, from death to life.

Help us to remind the sick and the dying
of the glorious hope to which we are called.
Comfort and heal them according to your great wisdom and mercy.
Shepherd us, O God, from death to life.

Prepare us for the day when the Son of Man
comes in glory with all his angels.
May we be ready to welcome him with our lamps burning.
Shepherd us, O God, from death to life.

God is good and God's mercy is everlasting.
In that sure and certain knowledge
we commend ourselves and all for who me pray to that eternal mercy:
Shepherd us, O God, from death to life.

You have established your throne, O Lord,
above the chaos of this world:
may your truth, which is from everlasting,
be ours for ever and ever;

May Christ our King make us faithful and strong to do his will,
that we may reign with him in glory; Amen.

The canticle and collect are from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer,
Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

_Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The intercession is adapted from one (c) 1999, The Evangelical Lutheran
Church in Canada.