OREMUS: 19 November 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Nov 18 21:00:16 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Saturday, November 19, 2005
Hilda, Abbess of Whitby, 680

Blessed are you, God our Father,
for you have enabled us to share
in the inheritance of the saints in the light.
You have rescued us from the power of darkness
and transferred us into the kingdom of your beloved Son,
in whom we have redemption and the forgiveness of sins.
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation;
for in him all things in heaven and on earth were created.
He himself is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

Hear, O Shepherd of Israel, leading Joseph like a flock;*
 shine forth, you that are enthroned upon the cherubim.
In the presence of Ephraim, Benjamin and Manasseh,*
 stir up your strength and come to help us.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
O Lord God of hosts,*
 how long will you be angered
   despite the prayers of your people?
You have fed them with the bread of tears;*
 you have given them bowls of tears to drink.
You have made us the derision of our neighbours,*
 and our enemies laugh us to scorn.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
You have brought a vine out of Egypt;*
 you cast out the nations and planted it.
You prepared the ground for it;*
 it took root and filled the land.
The mountains were covered by its shadow*
 and the towering cedar trees by its boughs.
You stretched out its tendrils to the Sea*
 and its branches to the River.
Why have you broken down its wall,*
 so that all who pass by pluck off its grapes?
The wild boar of the forest has ravaged it,*
 and the beasts of the field have grazed upon it.
Turn now, O God of hosts, look down from heaven;
   behold and tend this vine;*
 preserve what your right hand has planted.
They burn it with fire like rubbish;*
 at the rebuke of your countenance let them perish.
Let your hand be upon the man of your right hand,*
 the son of man you have made so strong for yourself.
And so will we never turn away from you;*
 give us life, that we may call upon your name.
Restore us, O Lord God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.

A Song of the New Creation (Isaiah 43:15-21)

'I am the Lord, your Holy One,
the Creator of Israel, your king.'

Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea,
a path in the mighty waters,

'Remember not the former things,
nor consider the things of old.

'Behold, I am doing a new thing;
now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?

'I will make a way in the wilderness
and rivers in the desert,
to give drink to my chosen people,

'The people whom I formed for myself,
that they might declare my praise.'

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [1 Maccabees 2:15-29]:

The king's officers who were enforcing the apostasy came
to the town of Modein to make them offer sacrifice. Many
from Israel came to them; and Mattathias and his sons
were assembled. Then the king's officers spoke to
Mattathias as follows: 'You are a leader, honoured and
great in this town, and supported by sons and brothers.
Now be the first to come and do what the king commands,
as all the Gentiles and the people of Judah and those
that are left in Jerusalem have done. Then you and your
sons will be numbered among the Friends of the king, and
you and your sons will be honoured with silver and gold
and many gifts.'
But Mattathias answered and said in a loud voice: 'Even
if all the nations that live under the rule of the king
obey him, and have chosen to obey his commandments,
everyone of them abandoning the religion of their
ancestors, I and my sons and my brothers will continue to
live by the covenant of our ancestors. Far be it from us
to desert the law and the ordinances. We will not obey
the king's words by turning aside from our religion to
the right hand or to the left.'
When he had finished speaking these words, a Jew came
forward in the sight of all to offer sacrifice on the
altar in Modein, according to the king's command. When
Mattathias saw it, he burned with zeal and his heart was
stirred. He gave vent to righteous anger; he ran and
killed him on the altar. At the same time he killed the
king's officer who was forcing them to sacrifice, and he
tore down the altar. Thus he burned with zeal for the
law, just as Phinehas did against Zimri son of Salu.
Then Mattathias cried out in the town with a loud voice,
saying: 'Let everyone who is zealous for the law and
supports the covenant come out with me!' Then he and his
sons fled to the hills and left all that they had in the
town.
At that time many who were seeking righteousness and
justice went down to the wilderness to live there.

For another Biblical reading,
Matthew 28:16-20

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts (1674-1748)
Tune: Venice
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o009w.html

O bless the Lord, my soul!
let all within me join,
and aid my tongue to bless his name
whose favors are divine.

O bless the Lord, my soul!
nor let his mercies lie
forgotten in unthankfulness,
and without praises die.

'Tis he forgives thy sins,
'tis he relieves thy pain,
'tis he that heals thy sicknesses,
and makes thee young again.

He fills the poor with good,
he gives the sufferers rest;
the Lord hath judgements for the proud,
and justice for the oppressed.

His wondrous works and ways
he made by Moses known;
but sent the world his truth and grace
by his beloved Son.

Let us praise Christ our King,
by whose cross we have citizenship in heaven,
saying: Lord, have mercy.

Lord, you built your Church
on the foundation of the apostles:
Lord, have mercy.

You witness to your truth
in the lives of your saints:
Lord, have mercy.

You made us to be a kingdom and priests
serving our God:
Lord, have mercy.

You have shared our burdens
revealing the holiness of our life and work:
Lord, have mercy.

You stir us to seek
the mysteries of the kingdom:
Lord, have mercy.

You lead us
to the eternal assembly of the saints:
Lord, have mercy.

For your Church, we pray, especially
the Diocese of Tokyo, Japan, The Rt Revd Peter Jintaro Ueda, Bishop.
Lord, have mercy.

Glory to you, Lord Jesus Christ, our Good Shepherd:
you have led us to the kingdom of your Father's love.
Forgive our careless indifference
to your loving care for all your creatures,
and remake us in the likeness of your new and risen life.
We ask this in your Name. Amen.

O God of peace,
by whose grace the abbess Hilda
was endowed with gifts
of justice, prudence, and strength
to rule as a wise mother
over the nuns and monks of her household,
and to become a trusted and reconciling friend
to leaders of the Church:
Give us grace to recognize and accept
the varied gifts you bestow on women and men,
that our common life may be enriched
and your gracious will be done;

Awaken us to the power and gifts
you pour into us and make us worthy of your trust,
working abundantly to build your kingdom. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from Colossians 1:12-17
[NRSV]

The closing sentence is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _Revised
Common Texts

Hilda (known in her own century as "Hild") was the grandniece of King Edwin
of Northumbria, a kingdom of the Angles. She was born in 614 and baptized in
627 when the king and his household became Christians. In 647 she decided to
become a nun, and under the direction of Aidan she established several
monasteries. Her last foundation was at Whitby. It was a double house: a
community of men and another of women, with the chapel in between, and
Hilda as the governor of both; and it was a great center of English learning,
one which produced five bishops (during Hilda's lifetime or that of the
Abbey?). Here a stable-boy, Caedmon, was moved to compose religious poems
in the Anglo-Saxon tongue, most of them metrical paraphrases of narratives
from Genesis and the Gospels.
The Celtic peoples of Britain had heard the Gospel well before 300 AD, but in
the 400's and 500's a massive invasion of Germanic peoples (Angles, Jutes, and
Saxons) forced the native Celts out of what is now England and into Wales,
Ireland, and Scotland. The invaders were pagans, and missionaries were sent to
them in the north and west by the Celts, and in the south and east by Rome and
other churches on the continent of Europe.
Roman and Celtic traditions differed, not in doctrine, but on such questions as
the proper way of calculating the date of Easter, and the proper style of haircut
and dress for a monk. It was, in particular, highly desirable that Christians, at
least in the same area, should celebrate Easter at the same time; and it became
clear that the English Church would have to choose between the old Celtic
customs which it had inherited from before 300, and the customs of continental
Europe and in particular of Rome that missionaries from there had brought
with them. In 664 the Synod of Whitby met at that monastery to consider the
matter, and it was decided to follow Roman usage.
Hilda herself greatly preferred the Celtic customs in which she had been reared,
but once the decision had been made she used her moderating influence in
favor of its peaceful acceptance. Her influence was considerable; kings and
commoners alike came to her for advice. She was urgent in promoting the
study of the Scriptures and the thorough education of the clergy. She died 17
November 680.