OREMUS: 18 November 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Nov 17 21:15:57 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Friday, November 18, 2005
Elizabeth of Hungary, Princess of Thuringia, Philanthropist, 1231
Twelfth Anniversary of Oremus, First Day of Posting, 1993

Blessed are you, God our Father,
for you have enabled us to share
in the inheritance of the saints in the light.
You have rescued us from the power of darkness
and transferred us into the kingdom of your beloved Son,
in whom we have redemption and the forgiveness of sins.
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation;
for in him all things in heaven and on earth were created.
He himself is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

I waited patiently upon the Lord;*
 he stooped to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the desolate pit,
   out of the mire and clay;*
 he set my feet upon a high cliff and made my footing sure.
He put a new song in my mouth,
   a song of praise to our God;*
 many shall see and stand in awe
   and put their trust in the Lord.
Happy are they who trust in the Lord!*
 they do not resort to evil spirits or turn to false gods.
Great things are they that you have done, O Lord my God!
   how great your wonders and your plans for us!*
 there is none who can be compared with you.
O that I could make them known and tell them!*
 but they are more than I can count.
In sacrifice and offering you take no pleasure*
 you have given me ears to hear you;
Burnt-offering and sin-offering you have not required,*
 and so I said, 'Behold, I come.
'In the roll of the book it is written concerning me:*
 "I love to do your will, O my God;
 your law is deep in my heart."'
I proclaimed righteousness in the great congregation;*
 behold, I did not restrain my lips;
 and that, O Lord, you know.
Your righteousness have I not hidden in my heart;
   I have spoken of your faithfulness and your deliverance;*
 I have not concealed your love and faithfulness
   from the great congregation.
You are the Lord;
   do not withhold your compassion from me;*
 let your love and your faithfulness keep me safe for ever,
For innumerable troubles have crowded upon me;
   my sins have overtaken me and I cannot see;*
 they are more in number than the hairs of my head,
   and my heart fails me.
Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me;*
 O Lord, make haste to help me.
Let them be ashamed and altogether dismayed
   who seek after my life to destroy it;*
 let them draw back and be disgraced
   who take pleasure in my misfortune.
Let those who say 'Aha!' and gloat over me be confounded,*
 because they are ashamed.
Let all who seek you rejoice in you and be glad;*
 let those who love your salvation continually say,
   'Great is the Lord!'
Though I am poor and afflicted,*
 the Lord will have regard for me.
You are my helper and my deliverer;*
 do not tarry, O my God.

A Song of the Righteous (Wisdom 3:1,2a,3b-8)

The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God
 and no torment will ever touch them.

In the eyes of the foolish, they seem to have died;
 but they are at peace.

For though, in the sight of others, they were punished,
 their hope is of immortality.

Having been disciplined a little,
 they will receive great good,
 because God tested them and found them worthy.

Like gold in the furnace, God tried them
 and, like a sacrificial burnt offering, accepted them.

In the time of their visitation, they will shine forth
 and will run like sparks through the stubble.

They will govern nations and rule over peoples
 and God will reign over them for ever.

READING [Ezekiel 34:1-10]:

The word of the LORD came to me: Mortal, prophesy against
the shepherds of Israel: prophesy, and say to them to the
shepherds: Thus says the Lord GOD: Ah, you shepherds of
Israel who have been feeding yourselves! Should not
shepherds feed the sheep? You eat the fat, you clothe
yourselves with the wool, you slaughter the fatlings; but
you do not feed the sheep. You have not strengthened the
weak, you have not healed the sick, you have not bound up
the injured, you have not brought back the strayed, you
have not sought the lost, but with force and harshness
you have ruled them. So they were scattered, because
there was no shepherd; and scattered, they became food
for all the wild animals. My sheep were scattered, they
wandered over all the mountains and on every high hill;
my sheep were scattered over all the face of the earth,
with no one to search or seek for them.
Therefore, you shepherds, hear the word of the LORD: As I
live, says the Lord GOD, because my sheep have become a
prey, and my sheep have become food for all the wild
animals, since there was no shepherd; and because my
shepherds have not searched for my sheep, but the
shepherds have fed themselves, and have not fed my sheep;
therefore, you shepherds, hear the word of the LORD: Thus
says the Lord GOD, I am against the shepherds; and I will
demand my sheep at their hand, and put a stop to their
feeding the sheep; no longer shall the shepherds feed
themselves. I will rescue my sheep from their mouths, so
that they may not be food for them.

For another Biblical reading,
James 1:12-18

HYMN
Words: George Herbert, 1633
Tune: University
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t152.html

The God of love my Shepherd is,
and he that doth me feed;
while he is mine and I am his,
what can I want or need?

He leads me to the tender grass,
where I both feed and rest;
then to the streams that gently pass,
in both I have the best.

Or if I stray, he doth convert,
and bring my mind in frame,
and all this not for my desert,
but for his holy Name.

Yea, in death's shady black abode
well may I walk, not fear;
for thou art with me, and thy rod
to guide, thy staff to bear.

Surely thy sweet and wondrous love
shall measure all my days;
and as it never shall remove
so neither shall my praise.

In joyful hope, we pray to you, O Lord:
Come, Lord Jesus!

Come to your Church as Lord and Judge
and give us a longing for your loving rule.
We pray especially for the Diocese of Tohoku, Japan,
The Rt Revd John Hiromichi Kato, Bishop :
Come, Lord Jesus!

Come to your world as King of the nations
and let righteousness and peace prevail:
Come, Lord Jesus!

Come to us as Savior and Comforter,
breaking into our failure and freeing us to serve you:
Come, Lord Jesus!

Come to us with power and great joy,
that our hearts may be lifted to meet you in joy:
Come, Lord Jesus!

God our Savior,
hear our prayer for all who suffer at the hands of others,
and especially for those who suffer for the sake of justice.
Raise and comfort them,
and lead us all in the paths of loving service.
We ask this in the Name of Jesus Christ the Lord. Amen.

Lord God,
who taught Elizabeth of Hungary
to recognize and reverence Christ
in the poor of this world:
by her example
strengthen us to love and serve
the afflicted and the needy
and so to honour your Son, the servant king,

Awaken us to the power and gifts
you pour into us and make us worthy of your trust,
working abundantly to build your kingdom. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from Colossians 1:12-17
[NRSV]

The intercession is adapted from material by the Durham Diocesan Liturgical
Committee

The closing sentence is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _Revised
Common Texts

The numerous "St. Elizabeth's Hospitals" throughout the world are for the
most part named, not for the Biblical Elizabeth, the mother of John the Baptist,
but for this princess of Hungary. She was concerned for the relief of the poor
and the sick, and with her husband's consent she used her dowry money for
their relief. During a famine and epidemic in 1226, while her husband was away
in Italy, she sold her jewels and established a hospital where she nursed the
sick, and opened the royal granaries to feed the hungry. After her husband's
death in 1227, her inlaws, who opposed her "extravagances," expelled her from
Wartburg. Finally an arrangement was negotiated with them that gave her a
stipend. She became a Franciscan tertiary (lay associate) and devoted the
remainder of her life to nursing and charity. She sewed garments to clothe the
poor, and went fishing to feed them.

Oremus was first devised in November 1993, as a response to a question on
the ANGLICAN email list about how individuals might keep the forthcoming
Advent more effectively.
The intention was and is to make available a form of the "Daily Office",
traditional in format, sufficiently brief and relevant to be used by as many
readers as possible, and not duplicating any other form likely to be already
used by members.
Steve Benner undertook to create the Office and to post it each day, and he did
this for nearly two years, from its first appearance on Thursday, 18 November
1993, until 13 September 1995. For the next fifteen months, Simon Kershaw
compiled the Office, and from 1996-January 1998, Steve Benner and Simon
Kershaw alternated responsibility for the compilation of the Office. Steve has
continued to produce the daily office since January 1998; Simon has since
become responsible for programming the feed for Common Worship - Daily
Prayer (see link on our site).
Oremus serves to nourish each of us in our daily prayer and bible reading; to
introduce more people to the tradition of the Daily Office; to strengthen the
sense of community of the group by the knowledge that our fellow members
are using the same form of prayer, and by our prayers for one another; to
strengthen our Anglican identity in our prayers for the Anglican Communion;
and to greaten our Christian love in our prayers for our fellow Christians and
for all people. [from our FAQ]