OREMUS: 16 November 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Nov 15 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Wednesday, November 16, 2005
Margaret, Queen of Scotland, Philanthropist, Reformer of the Church, 1093

Blessed are you, God our Father,
for you have enabled us to share
in the inheritance of the saints in the light.
You have rescued us from the power of darkness
and transferred us into the kingdom of your beloved Son,
in whom we have redemption and the forgiveness of sins.
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation;
for in him all things in heaven and on earth were created.
He himself is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

O Lord, I call to you;
   my rock, do not be deaf to my cry;*
 lest, if you do not hear me,
   I become like those who go down to the Pit.
Hear the voice of my prayer when I cry out to you,*
 when I lift up my hands to your holy of holies.
Do not snatch me away with the wicked
   or with the evildoers,*
 who speak peaceably with their neighbours,
   while strife is in their hearts.
Repay them according to their deeds,*
 and according to the wickedness of their actions.
According to the work of their hands repay them,*
 and give them their just deserts.
They have no understanding of the Lord's doings,
   nor of the works of his hands;*
 therefore he will break them down
   and not build them up.
Blessed is the Lord!*
 for he has heard the voice of my prayer.
The Lord is my strength and my shield;*
 my heart trusts in him and I have been helped;
Therefore my heart dances for joy,*
 and in my song will I praise him.
The Lord is the strength of his people,*
 a safe refuge for his anointed.
Save your people and bless your inheritance;*
 shepherd them and carry them for ever.

Psalm 76

In Judah is God known;*
 his name is great in Israel.
At Salem is his tabernacle,*
 and his dwelling is in Zion.
There he broke the flashing arrows,*
 the shield, the sword and the weapons of battle.
How glorious you are!*
 more splendid than the everlasting mountains!
The strong of heart have been despoiled;
   they sink into sleep;*
 none of the warriors can lift a hand.
At your rebuke, O God of Jacob,*
 both horse and rider lie stunned.
What terror you inspire!*
 who can stand before you when you are angry?
>From heaven you pronounced judgement;*
 the earth was afraid and was still;
When God rose up to judgement*
 and to save all the oppressed of the earth.
Truly, wrathful Edom will give you thanks,*
 and the remnant of Hamath will keep your feasts.
Make a vow to the Lord your God and keep it;*
 let all around him bring gifts
   to him who is worthy to be feared.
He breaks the spirit of princes,*
 and strikes terror in the kings of the earth.

A Song of Jerusalem our Mother (from Isaiah 66)

'Rejoice with Jerusalem and be glad for her
all you who love her', says the Lord.

'Rejoice with her in joy,
all you who mourn over her,

'That you may drink deeply with delight
from her consoling breast.'

For thus says our God,
'You shall be nursed and carried on her arm.

'As a mother comforts her children,
so I will comfort you;

'You shall see and your heart shall rejoice;
you shall flourish like the grass of the fields.'

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

READING [Ezekiel 33:10-16]:

Now you, mortal, say to the house of Israel, Thus you
have said: 'Our transgressions and our sins weigh upon
us, and we waste away because of them; how then can we
live?' Say to them, As I live, says the Lord GOD, I have
no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the
wicked turn from their ways and live; turn back, turn
back from your evil ways; for why will you die, O house
of Israel? And you, mortal, say to your people, The
righteousness of the righteous shall not save them when
they transgress; and as for the wickedness of the wicked,
it shall not make them stumble when they turn from their
wickedness; and the righteous shall not be able to live
by their righteousness when they sin. Though I say to the
righteous that they shall surely live, yet if they trust
in their righteousness and commit iniquity, none of their
righteous deeds shall be remembered; but in the iniquity
that they have committed they shall die. Again, though I
say to the wicked, 'You shall surely die', yet if they
turn from their sin and do what is lawful and right  if
the wicked restore the pledge, give back what they have
taken by robbery, and walk in the statutes of life,
committing no iniquity they shall surely live, they shall
not die. None of the sins that they have committed shall
be remembered against them; they have done what is lawful
and right, they shall surely live.

For another Biblical reading,
1 Peter 5:1-11

HYMN
Words: Albert Eubule Evans, 1868
Tune: Madrid
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l467.html

Lord, to thee alone we turn,
to thy cross for safety fly;
there, as penitents, to learn
how to live and how to die.
sinful on our knees we fall;
hear us, as for help we plead;
hear us when on thee we call;
aid us in our time of need.

In the midst of sin and strife,
in the depths of mortal woe,
teach us, Lord, to live a life
meet for sojourners below.
though the road be oft times dark,
though the feet in weakness stray,
lead us, Savior as the ark
led thy chosen on their way.

Weak and weary and alone
when the vale of death we tread,
then be all thy mercy shown,
then be all thy love displayed;
guard us in that darksome hour,
lead us to the land of rest,
where, secure from Satan's power,
we may lie upon thy breast.

\From the rising of the sun to its setting,
let us pray to the Lord.

That the people of God in all the world
may worship in spirit and in truth,
let us pray to the Lord:
Lord, have mercy.

That the Church may discover again that unity which is your gift,
let us pray to the Lord:
Lord, have mercy.

For your Church in every place, especially
Tirunelveli, India, The Rt Revd Jeyapaul David Swamidawson, Bishop.
Lord, have mercy.

That the nations of the earth
may seek after the ways that make for peace,
let us pray to the Lord:
Lord, have mercy.

That the whole creation, groaning in travail,
may be set free to enjoy the glorious liberty
of the children of God,
let us pray to the Lord:
Lord, have mercy.

That all who with Christ have entered the shadow of death
may find the fulfilment of life and peace,
let us pray to the Lord:
Lord, have mercy.

With all the saints in light,
let us offer eternal praise to the Lord made manifest:

Majestic and gracious God,
more awesome than the agents of war,
more powerful than the wrath of nations,
your love has created a people of your own;
restrain the violence of the peoples
and draw the despised of the earth
into the joyful life of your kingdom. Amen.

O God, the ruler of all,
who called your servant Margaret to an earthly throne
and gave her zeal for your Church and love for your people
that she might advance your heavenly kingdom:
mercifully grant that we who commemorate her example
may be fruitful in good works
and attain to the glorious crown of your saints;

Awaken us to the power and gifts
you pour into us and make us worthy of your trust,
working abundantly to build your kingdom. Amen.

The psalms, first collect and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer are from

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from Colossians 1:12-17
[NRSV]

The closing sentence is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _Revised
Common Texts

Margaret (born c. 1045) was the grand-daughter of Edmund Ironside, King of
the English, but was probably born in exile in Hungary, and brought to England
in 1057. After the Norman Conquest in 1066, she sought refuge in Scotland,
where about 1070 she married the King, Malcolm III. She and her husband
rebuilt the monastery of Iona and founded the Benedictine Abbey at
Dunfermline. Margaret undertook to impose on the Scottish the ecclesiastical
customs she had been accustomed to in England, customs that were also
prevalent in France and Italy. But Margaret was not concerned only with
ceremonial considerations. She encouraged the founding of schools, hospitals,
and orphanages. She argued in favor of the practice of receiving the Holy
Communion frequently. She was less successful in preventing feuding among
Highland Clans, and when her husband was treacherously killed in 1093, she
herself died a few days later (of grief, it is said). [James Kiefer]