OREMUS: 15 November 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Nov 14 21:50:20 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Blessed are you, God our Father,
for you have enabled us to share
in the inheritance of the saints in the light.
You have rescued us from the power of darkness
and transferred us into the kingdom of your beloved Son,
in whom we have redemption and the forgiveness of sins.
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation;
for in him all things in heaven and on earth were created.
He himself is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

The Lord, the God of gods, has spoken;*
 he has called the earth
   from the rising of the sun to its setting.
Out of Zion, perfect in its beauty,*
 God reveals himself in glory.
Our God will come and will not keep silence;*
 before him there is a consuming flame,
   and round about him a raging storm.
He calls the heavens and the earth from above*
 to witness the judgement of his people.
'Gather before me my loyal followers,*
 those who have made a covenant with me
   and sealed it with sacrifice.'
Let the heavens declare the rightness of his cause;*
 for God himself is judge.
Hear, O my people, and I will speak:
   'O Israel, I will bear witness against you;*
 for I am God, your God.
'I do not accuse you because of your sacrifices;*
 your offerings are always before me.
'I will take no bull-calf from your stalls,*
 nor he-goats out of your pens;
'For the beasts of the forest are mine,*
 the herds in their thousands upon the hills.
'I know every bird in the sky,*
 and the creatures of the fields are in my sight.
'If I were hungry, I would not tell you,*
 for the whole world is mine and all that is in it.
'Do you think I eat the flesh of bulls,*
 or drink the blood of goats?
'Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and make good your vows to the Most High.
'Call upon me in the day of trouble;*
 I will deliver you and you shall honour me.'
But to the wicked God says:*
 'Why do you recite my statutes,
   and take my covenant upon your lips;
'Since you refuse discipline,*
 and toss my words behind your back?
'When you see a thief, you make him your friend,*
 and you cast in your lot with adulterers.
'You have loosed your lips for evil,*
 and harnessed your tongue to a lie.
'You are always speaking evil of your brother*
 and slandering your own mother's son.
'These things you have done and I kept still,*
 and you thought that I am like you.
'I have made my accusation;*
 I have put my case in order before your eyes.
'Consider this well, you who forget God,*
 lest I rend you and there be none to deliver you.
'Whoever offers me the sacrifice of thanksgiving
   honours me;*
 but to those who keep in my way
   will I show the salvation of God.'

A Song of the Redeemed (Revelation 7. 9-10,14b-17)

Behold, a great multitude
 which no one could number,

>From every nation,
from all tribes and peoples and tongues,
 standing before the throne and the Lamb.

They were clothed in white robes
 and had palms in their hands,
 and they cried with a loud voice, saying,

'Salvation belongs to our God
 who sits on the throne,
 and to the Lamb.'

These are they
who have come out of the great tribulation,
 they have washed their robes
 and made them white in the blood of the Lamb;

Therefore they stand before the throne of God,
 whom they serve day and night within the temple.

And the One who sits upon the throne
 will shelter them with his presence.

They shall never again feel hunger or thirst,
 the sun shall not strike them,
 nor any scorching heat.

For the Lamb at the heart of the throne
 will be their Shepherd,

He will guide them to springs of living water,
 and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.

 for ever and ever. Amen.

READING [Ezekiel 33:1-9]:

The word of the LORD came to me: O Mortal, speak to your
people and say to them, If I bring the sword upon a land,
and the people of the land take one of their number as
their sentinel; and if the sentinel sees the sword coming
upon the land and blows the trumpet and warns the people;
then if any who hear the sound of the trumpet do not take
warning, and the sword comes and takes them away, their
blood shall be upon their own heads. They heard the sound
of the trumpet and did not take warning; their blood
shall be upon themselves. But if they had taken warning,
they would have saved their lives. But if the sentinel
sees the sword coming and does not blow the trumpet, so
that the people are not warned, and the sword comes and
takes any of them, they are taken away in their iniquity,
but their blood I will require at the sentinel's hand.
So you, mortal, I have made a sentinel for the house of
Israel; whenever you hear a word from my mouth, you shall
give them warning from me. If I say to the wicked, 'O
wicked ones, you shall surely die', and you do not speak
to warn the wicked to turn from their ways, the wicked
shall die in their iniquity, but their blood I will
require at your hand. But if you warn the wicked to turn
from their ways, and they do not turn from their ways,
the wicked shall die in their iniquity, but you will have
saved your life.

For another Biblical reading,
1 Peter 4:12-19

HYMN
Words: John Bowring, 1825
Tune: Aberystwyth
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w024.html

Watchman, tell us of the night,
what its signs of promise are.
Traveler, o'er yon mountain's height,
see that glory-beaming star.
Watchman, does its beauteous ray
aught of joy or hope foretell?
Traveler, yes; it brings the day,
promised day of Israel.

Watchman, tell us of the night;
higher yet that star ascends.
Traveler, blessedness and light,
peace and truth its course portends.
Watchman, will its beams alone
gild the spot that gave them birth?
Traveler, ages are its own;
see, it bursts o'er all the earth.

Watchman, tell us of the night,
for the morning seems to dawn.
Traveler, darkness takes its flight,
doubt and terror are withdrawn.
Watchman, let thy wanderings cease;
hie thee to thy quiet home.
Traveler, lo! the Prince of Peace,
lo! the Son of God is come!

Let us turn our eyes to the Lord of glory
and enthrone him on our praises, saying:
Lord, have mercy.

Jesus, servant of God,
you bring justice to the peoples:
Lord, have mercy.

You love your people
with a faithful love:
Lord, have mercy.

You were lifted up on the cross
that you might draw all people to yourself:
Lord, have mercy.

You bring hope and joy
to those who walk in the valley and shadow of death:
Lord, have mercy.

You have liberated us
so that we might be free for ever:
Lord, have mercy.

You, O Christ, are our justice,
our peace and our redemption:
Lord, have mercy.

We pray for your Church, especially
the Diocese of Thika, Kenya, The Rt Revd Gideon Gichuhi Githiga, Bishop.

Mighty God,
dwelling in unapproachable light
and speaking with a voice of many waters,
forgive our vain attempts to reach you,
and show us the salvation you have wrought
in Jesus Christ your Son our Lord. Amen.

Awaken us to the power and gifts
you pour into us and make us worthy of your trust,
working abundantly to build your kingdom. Amen.

The canticle and collect are from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer,
Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from Colossians 1:12-17
[NRSV]

The closing sentence is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _Revised
Common Texts