OREMUS: 14 November 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Nov 13 21:45:09 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Monday, November 14, 2005
Samuel Seabury, First Bishop of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the USA, 1796

Blessed are you, God our Father,
for you have enabled us to share
in the inheritance of the saints in the light.
You have rescued us from the power of darkness
and transferred us into the kingdom of your beloved Son,
in whom we have redemption and the forgiveness of sins.
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation;
for in him all things in heaven and on earth were created.
He himself is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

Be pleased, O God, to deliver me;*
 O Lord, make haste to help me.
Let those who seek my life
   be ashamed and altogether dismayed;*
 let those who take pleasure in my misfortune
   draw back and be disgraced.
Let those who say to me 'Aha!'
   and gloat over me turn back,*
 because they are ashamed.
Let all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you;*
 let those who love your salvation say for ever,
   'Great is the Lord!'
But as for me, I am poor and needy;*
 come to me speedily, O God.
You are my helper and my deliverer;*
 O Lord, do not tarry.

Psalm 75

We give you thanks, O God, we give you thanks,*
 calling upon your name
   and declaring all your wonderful deeds.
'I will appoint a time,' says God;*
 'I will judge with equity.
'Though the earth and all its inhabitants are quaking,*
 I will make its pillars fast.
'I will say to the boasters, "Boast no more",*
 and to the wicked, "Do not toss your horns;
'"Do not toss your horns so high,*
 nor speak with a proud neck."'
For judgement is neither from the east
   nor from the west,*
 nor yet from the wilderness or the mountains.
It is God who judges;*
 he puts down one and lifts up another.
For in the Lord's hand there is a cup,
   full of spiced and foaming wine, which he pours out,*
 and all the wicked of the earth
   shall drink and drain the dregs.
But I will rejoice for ever;*
 I will sing praises to the God of Jacob.
He shall break off all the horns of the wicked;*
 but the horns of the righteous shall be exalted.

A Song of Wisdom (Wisdom 9.1-5a,5c-6,9-11)

O God of our ancestors and Lord of mercy,
you have made all things by your word.

By your wisdom you have formed us
to have dominion over the creatures you have made;

To rule the world in holiness and righteousness
and to pronounce judgement in uprightness of soul.

Give us the Wisdom that sits by your throne;
do not reject us from among your servants,

For we are your servants,
with little understanding of judgement and laws.

Even one who is perfect among us
will be regarded as nothing
without the wisdom that comes from you.

With you is Wisdom, she who knows your works,
and was present when you made the world.

She understands what is pleasing in your sight
and what is right according to your commandments.

Send her forth from the holy heavens,
from the throne of your glory send her.

That she may labour at our side
and that we may learn what is pleasing to you.

For she knows and understands all things,
she will guide us wisely in our actions
and guard us with her glory.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

READING [Ezekiel 18:1-13,30-32]:

The word of the LORD came to me: What do you mean by
repeating this proverb concerning the land of Israel,
'The parents have eaten sour grapes, and the children's
teeth are set on edge'? As I live, says the Lord GOD,
this proverb shall no more be used by you in Israel. Know
that all lives are mine; the life of the parent as well
as the life of the child is mine: it is only the person
who sins that shall die.
If a man is righteous and does what is lawful and right
if he does not eat upon the mountains or lift up his eyes
to the idols of the house of Israel, does not defile his
neighbour's wife or approach a woman during her menstrual
period, does not oppress anyone, but restores to the
debtor his pledge, commits no robbery, gives his bread to
the hungry and covers the naked with a garment, does not
take advance or accrued interest, withholds his hand from
iniquity, executes true justice between contending
parties, follows my statutes, and is careful to observe
my ordinances, acting faithfully such a one is righteous;
he shall surely live, says the Lord GOD.
If he has a son who is violent, a shedder of blood, who
does any of these things (though his father does none of
them), who eats upon the mountains, defiles his
neighbour's wife, oppresses the poor and needy, commits
robbery, does not restore the pledge, lifts up his eyes
to the idols, commits abomination, takes advance or
accrued interest; shall he then live? He shall not. He
has done all these abominable things; he shall surely
die; his blood shall be upon himself.
Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, all of you
according to your ways, says the Lord GOD. Repent and
turn from all your transgressions; otherwise iniquity
will be your ruin.Cast away from you all the
transgressions that you have committed against me, and
get yourselves a new heart and a new spirit! Why will you
die, O house of Israel? For I have no pleasure in the
death of anyone, says the Lord GOD. Turn, then, and live.

For another Biblical reading,
1 Peter 4:1-11

HYMN
Words: Clifford Bax, 1919
Tune: Old 124th
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t811.html

Turn back, O man, forswear thy foolish ways.
old now is earth, and none may count her days.
yet thou, her child, whose head is crowned with flame,
still wilt not hear thine inner God proclaim,
"Turn back, O man, forswear thy foolish ways."

Earth might be fair and all men glad and wise.
age after age their tragic empires rise,
built while they dream, and in that dreaming weep:
would man but wake from out his haunted sleep,
earth might be fair and all men glad and wise.

Earth shall be fair, and all her people one:
nor till that hour shall God's whole will be done.
Now, even now, once more from earth to sky,
peals forth in joy man's old undaunted cry:
"Earth shall be fair and all her folk be one!"

Watchful at all times,
let us pray for strength to stand with confidence
before our Maker and Redeemer.

That God may bring in his kingdom with judgement and mercy,
let us pray to the Lord:
Come in your might, Lord Jesus.

That God may establish among the nations
his sceptre of righteousness, let us pray to the Lord:
Come in your might, Lord Jesus.

That the Church, especially the Diocese of The Murray, Australia;
The Rt Revd Ross Owen Davies, Bishop;
and the Diocese of Willochra, Australia, The Rt Revd Gary Weatherill, Bishop,
may seek him in the scriptures
and recognise him in the breaking of the bread,
let us pray to the Lord:
Come in your might, Lord Jesus.

That God may bind up the broken-hearted,
restore the sick and raise up all who have fallen,
let us pray to the Lord:
Come in your might, Lord Jesus.

That the light of God's coming may dawn
on all who live in darkness and in the shadow of death,
let us pray to the Lord:
Come in your might, Lord Jesus.

That with all the saints in light,
we may shine forth as lights of the world,
let us pray to the Lord:
Come in your might, Lord Jesus.

So we commend ourselves and all for whom we pray
to the mercy and protection of our heavenly Father:

Everliving God,
before the earth was formed and even after it shall cease to be, you are God:
Break into our short span of life and show us those things that are eternal,
that we may serve your purpose in all we do;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Eternal God,
who blessed your servant Samuel Seabury
with the gift of perseverance
to renew the Anglican inheritance
in the churches of North America:
grant us unity in faith, steadfastness in hope,
and constancy in love,
that we may ever be true members
of the body of your Son Jesus Christ,
who is alive and reigns with you

Awaken us to the power and gifts
you pour into us and make us worthy of your trust,
working abundantly to build your kingdom. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from Colossians 1:12-17
[NRSV]

The closing sentence is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _Revised
Common Texts

The first collect is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993
Westminster / John Knox Press.

The second collect is from _For All the Saints_, (c) General
Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada, 1994.

A crucial date for members of the Episcopal Church in the United States of
America is the consecration of the first Bishop of the Anglican Communion in
the United States. During the colonial era, there had been no Anglican bishops
in the New World; and persons seeking to be ordained as clergy had had to
travel to England for the purpose. After the achievement of American
independence, it was important for the Church in the United States to have its
own bishops, and an assembly of Connecticut clergy chose Samuel Seabury to
go to England and there seek to be consecrated as a bishop.
However, the English bishops were forbidden by law to consecrate anyone
who would not take an oath of allegiance to the British Crown. He accordingly
turned to the Episcopal Church of Scotland. When the Roman Catholic king
James II was deposed in 1688, some of the Anglican clergy (including some
who had been imprisoned by James for defying him on religious issues) said
that, having sworn allegiance to James as King, they could not during his
lifetime swear allegiance to the new monarchs William and Mary. Those who
took this position were known as non-Jurors (non-swearers), and they included
almost all the bishops and clergy of the Episcopal Church in Scotland.
Accordingly, the monarchs and Parliament declared that thenceforth the official
church in Scotland should be the Presbyterian Church. The Episcopal Church
of Scotland thereafter had no recognition by the government, and for some
time operated under serious legal disablities. However, since it had no
connection with the government, it was free to consecrate Seabury without
government permission, and it did. This is why you see a Cross of St. Andrew
on the Episcopal Church flag.
In Aberdeen, 14 November 1784, Samuel Seabury was consecrated to the
Episcopate by the Bishop and the Bishop Coadjutor of Aberdeen and the
Bishop of Ross and Caithness. He thus became part of the unbroken chain of
bishops that links the Church today with the Church of the Apostles.
In return, he promised them that he would do his best to persuade the
American Church to use as its Prayer of Consecration (blessing of the bread
and wine at the Lord's Supper) the Scottish prayer, taken largely unchanged
from the 1549 Prayer Book, rather than the much shorter one in use in
England. The aforesaid prayer, adopted by the American Church with a few
modifications, has been widely regarded as one of the greatest treasures of the
Church in this country. [James Kiefer]