OREMUS: 13 November 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Nov 12 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Sunday, November 13, 2005
The Twenty-Sixth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, God our Father,
for you have enabled us to share
in the inheritance of the saints in the light.
You have rescued us from the power of darkness
and transferred us into the kingdom of your beloved Son,
in whom we have redemption and the forgiveness of sins.
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation;
for in him all things in heaven and on earth were created.
He himself is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

Lord, you have been our refuge*
 from one generation to another.
Before the mountains were brought forth,
   or the land and the earth were born,*
 from age to age you are God.
You turn us back to the dust and say,*
 'Go back, O child of earth.'
For a thousand years in your sight
   are like yesterday when it is past*
 and like a watch in the night.
You sweep us away like a dream;*
 we fade away suddenly like the grass.
In the morning it is green and flourishes;*
 in the evening it is dried up and withered.
For we consume away in your displeasure;*
 we are afraid because of your wrathful indignation.
Our iniquities you have set before you,*
 and our secret sins in the light of your countenance.
When you are angry, all our days are gone;*
 we bring our years to an end like a sigh.
The span of our life is seventy years,
   perhaps in strength even eighty;*
 yet the sum of them is but labour and sorrow,
   for they pass away quickly and we are gone.
Who regards the power of your wrath?*
 who rightly fears your indignation?
So teach us to number our days*
 that we may apply our hearts to wisdom.
Return, O Lord; how long will you tarry?*
 be gracious to your servants.
Satisfy us by your loving-kindness in the morning;*
 so shall we rejoice and be glad all the days of our life.
Make us glad by the measure of the days
   that you afflicted us*
 and the years in which we suffered adversity.
Show your servants your works*
 and your splendour to their children.
May the graciousness of the Lord our God be upon us;*
 prosper the work of our hands;
   prosper our handiwork.

A Song of God's Assembled (Hebrews 12:22-24a,28-29)

We have come before God's holy mountain,
to the heavenly Jerusalem, the city of the living God.

We have come before countless angels making festival,
before the assembly of the firstborn citizens of heaven.

We have come before God, who is judge of all,
before the spirits of the just made perfect.

We have come before Jesus,
the mediator of the new covenant.

We are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken:
so let us give thanks and offer to God acceptable worship,

full of reverence and awe;
for our God is a consuming fire.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

READING [Matthew 24:45-51]:

Jesus said, 'Who then is the faithful and wise slave,
whom his master has put in charge of his household, to
give the other slaves their allowance of food at the
proper time? Blessed is that slave whom his master will
find at work when he arrives. Truly I tell you, he will
put that one in charge of all his possessions. But if
that wicked slave says to himself, "My master is
delayed", and he begins to beat his fellow-slaves, and
eats and drinks with drunkards, the master of that slave
will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an
hour that he does not know. He will cut him in pieces and
put him with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping
and gnashing of teeth.'

For another Biblical reading,
Judges 5:1-12

HYMN
Words: verses 1-3: Anna Louisa Walker Coghill, 1864;
verse 4, attributed to Basil Manley, 1880
Tune: Diligence
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w578.html

Work, for the night is coming,
work through the morning hours;
work while the dew is sparkling,
work 'mid springing flowers;
work when the day grows brighter,
work in the glowing sun;
work, for the night is coming,
when man's work is done.

Work, for the night is coming!
Work through the sunny noon;
fill brightest hours with labor,
rest comes sure and soon.
Give every flying minute,
something to keep in store;
work, for the night is coming,
when man works no more.

Work, for the night is coming!
Under the sunset skies;
while their bright tints are glowing,
work, for daylight flies.
work till the last beam fadeth,
fadeth to shine no more;
work, while the night is darkening,
when man's work is o'er.

Work, for the day is coming!
Children of light are we;
from Jesus' bright appearing
power of darkness flee.
Soon will our strife be ending,
soon all our toils below,
not to the dark we're tending,
but to the day we go.

God did not wait till the world was ready,
till nations were at peace.
God came when the Heavens were unsteady
and prisoners cried out for release.

God did not wait for the perfect time.
God came when the need was deep and great.
God dined with sinners in all their grime, turned water into wine.

God did not wait till hearts were pure.
In joy God came to a tarnished world of sin and doubt.
To a world like ours, of anguished shame, God came
and God's Light would not go out.

God came to a world which did not mesh;
to heal its tangles, shield its scorn.
In the mystery of the Word made Flesh,
the maker of the stars was born.

We cannot wait till the world is sane to raise our songs with joyful voice,
or to share our grief, to touch our pain,
 God came with Love:  Rejoice!  Rejoice!

Almighty God,
whose sovereign purpose none can make void:
give us faith to be steadfast amid the tumults of this world,
knowing that your kingdom shall come
and your will be done, to your eternal glory;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Awaken us to the power and gifts
you pour into us and make us worthy of your trust,
working abundantly to build your kingdom. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from Colossians 1:12-17
[NRSV]

The intercession is from "First Coming" by Madeleine L'Engle.

Westminster / John Knox Press.

The closing sentence is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _Revised
Common Texts