OREMUS: 12 November 2005

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Nov 11 17:00:01 GMT 2005

OREMUS for Saturday, November 12, 2005
Joseph Bernardin, Archbishop of Chicago, Ecumenist, 1996

Blessed are you, ever-living God,
you inscribe our names in your book of life
so that we may share the firstfruits of salvation.
You protect the widows and strangers,
the oppressed and forgotten,
and feed the hungry with good things.
You stand among us in Christ, offering life to all.
You call us to respond with open hearts and minds to the world,
caring for those for whom you care.

Psalm 89:1-9,11-14,18-21,24-29, 52

Your love, O Lord, for ever will I sing;*
 from age to age my mouth will proclaim your faithfulness.
For I am persuaded that your love is established for ever;*
 you have set your faithfulness firmly in the heavens.
'I have made a covenant with my chosen one;*
 I have sworn an oath to David my servant:
'"I will establish your line for ever,*
 and preserve your throne for all generations."'
The heavens bear witness to your wonders, O Lord,*
 and to your faithfulness in the assembly of the holy ones;
For who in the skies can be compared to the Lord?*
 who is like the Lord among the gods?
God is much to be feared in the council of the holy ones,*
 great and terrible to all those round about him.
Who is like you, Lord God of hosts?*
 O mighty Lord, your faithfulness is all around you.
You rule the raging of the sea*
 and still the surging of its waves.
Yours are the heavens; the earth also is yours;*
 you laid the foundations of the world
   and all that is in it.
You have made the north and the south;*
 Tabor and Hermon rejoice in your name.
You have a mighty arm;*
 strong is your hand and high is your right hand.
Righteousness and justice
   are the foundations of your throne;*
 love and truth go before your face.
Truly, the Lord is our ruler;*
 the Holy One of Israel is our king.
You spoke once in a vision
   and said to your faithful people:*
 'I have set the crown upon a warrior
   and have exalted one chosen out of the people.
'I have found David my servant;*
 with my holy oil have I anointed him.
'My hand will hold him fast*
 and my arm will make him strong.
'My faithfulness and love shall be with him,*
 and he shall be victorious through my name.
'I shall make his dominion extend*
 from the Great Sea to the River.
'He will say to me, "You are my Father,*
 my God and the rock of my salvation."
'I will make him my first-born*
 and higher than the kings of the earth.
'I will keep my love for him for ever,*
 and my covenant will stand firm for him.
'I will establish his line for ever*
 and his throne as the days of heaven.
Blessed be the Lord for evermore!*
 Amen, I say, Amen.

A Song of the New Creation (Isaiah 43:15-21)

'I am the Lord, your Holy One,
the Creator of Israel, your king.'

Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea,
a path in the mighty waters,

'Remember not the former things,
nor consider the things of old.

'Behold, I am doing a new thing;
now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?

'I will make a way in the wilderness
and rivers in the desert,
to give drink to my chosen people,

'The people whom I formed for myself,
that they might declare my praise.'

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

READING [Revelation 1:4-18]:

John to the seven churches that are in Asia:
Grace to you and peace from him who is and who was and
who is to come, and from the seven spirits who are before
his throne, and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness,
the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of
the earth.

To him who loves us and freed us from our sins by his
blood, and made us to be a kingdom, priests serving his
God and Father, to him be glory and dominion for ever and
ever. Amen.
Look! He is coming with the clouds;
   every eye will see him,
even those who pierced him;
   and on his account all the tribes of the earth will
wail.
So it is to be. Amen.

'I am the Alpha and the Omega', says the Lord God, who is
and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.
I, John, your brother who share with you in Jesus the
persecution and the kingdom and the patient endurance,
was on the island called Patmos because of the word of
God and the testimony of Jesus. I was in the spirit on
the Lord's day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a
trumpet saying, 'Write in a book what you see and send it
to the seven churches, to Ephesus, to Smyrna, to
Pergamum, to Thyatira, to Sardis, to Philadelphia, and to
Laodicea.'
Then I turned to see whose voice it was that spoke to me,
and on turning I saw seven golden lampstands, and in the
midst of the lampstands I saw one like the Son of Man,
clothed with a long robe and with a golden sash across
his chest. His head and his hair were white as white
wool, white as snow; his eyes were like a flame of fire,
his feet were like burnished bronze, refined as in a
furnace, and his voice was like the sound of many waters.
In his right hand he held seven stars, and from his mouth
came a sharp, two-edged sword, and his face was like the
sun shining with full force.

When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he
placed his right hand on me, saying, 'Do not be afraid; I
am the first and the last, and the living one. I was
dead, and see, I am alive for ever and ever; and I have
the keys of Death and of Hades.

For another Biblical reading,
1 Kings 1:15-40

HYMN
Words: John Cennick; as altered by Charles Wesley and Martin Madan
Tune: Helmsley
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l187.html

Lo! he comes, with clouds descending,
once for our salvation slain;
thousand thousand saints attending
swell the triumph of his train:
Alleluia! alleluia! alleluia!
Christ the Lord returns to reign.

Every eye shall now behold him,
robed in dreadful majesty;
those who set at nought and sold him,
pierced, and nailed him to the tree,
deeply wailing, deeply wailing, deeply wailing,
shall the true Messiah see.

Those dear tokens of his passion
still his dazzling body bears,
cause of endless exultation
to his ransomed worshipers;
with what rapture, with what rapture, with what rapture
gaze we on those glorious scars!

Now redemption, long expected,
see in solemn pomp appear;
all his saints, by man rejected,
now shall meet him in the air:
Alleluia! alleluia! alleluia!
See the day of God appear!

Yea, amen! let all adore thee,
high on thine eternal throne;
Savior, take the power and glory;
claim the kingdom for thine own:
Alleluia! alleluia! alleluia!
Thou shalt reign, and thou alone.

under whose wings we dwell in safety and mercy,
we give you thanks for all the seasons of grace:
for hope that cries out with prophetic voice,
for your gift of Emmanuel,
for your light that shines in the darkness:
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Enable us to make fresh beginnings
during these Advent days...
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Release the everlasting stream of your justice and peace
that it may flow among the nations...
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

For your Church reaching out in every place, especially
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Save and defend all who suffer want, brokenness, or trouble...
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Resupply your Church and its leaders
with the oil of gladness and vigilance...
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Remember us, gracious God,
when we cannot see your way and purpose,
and renew in us the joy of your kingdom of light and life.
We ask this in the Name of Jesus Christ the Lord. Amen.

Loving and merciful God,
you set us in this world to discover the fullness of our humanity:
Give us the strength and courage
displayed in your servant Joseph Bernardin
to become living signs of Christ's loving presence
that all who are lonely or hurt,
abused or abandoned,
vulnerable or alienated
might experience the love of him

Grant that as we serve yo now on earth,
so we may one day rejoice with all the saints
in your kingdom of light and peace,

copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts

The intercession is reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of
Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c)
1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

The second collect is by Stephen Benner and uses words by Joseph Bernardin.

Joseph Louis Bernardin was born April 2, 1928 to Joseph and Maria
Bernardin, recent immigrants from the north of Italy. Having lost his father to
cancer at the age of six, Joseph took responsibility for his younger sister,
Elaine while Mrs. Bernardin worked as a seamstress.
Joseph Bernardin was ordained a priest for the Diocese of Charleston in 1952.
In 1966, Pope Paul VI appointed Monsignor Bernardin an Auxiliary Bishop of
the Archdiocese of Atlanta. Upon his episcopal consecration on April 26, 1966
at the hands of Bernardin's mentor, Archbishop Paul Hallinan, Bernardin
became the youngest bishop in America.
Bishop Joseph Bernardin continued to serve the Church from 1968 through
1972, as the first General Secretary of the National Conference of Catholic
Bishops/United States Catholic Conference (NCCB/USCC). He was
instrumental in shaping the Catholic Church in the United States according to
the vision of the Second Vatican Council. Bernardin's evenhandedness and
compassion made him well suited to act as a mediator, and he was called to
reconcile diverging parties in the changing Post-Conciliar Church.
On November 21, 1972, Bishop Bernardin was appointed Archbishop of
Cincinnati by Pope Paul VI, and was installed less than a month later in a
ceremony at the Cathedral of Saint Peter in Chains. While Archbishop of
Cincinnati, worked to improve relations between Catholics and Jews and
strove for better understanding between the Catholic Church and Protestant
denominations.
In 1982, Bernardin was installed as the Archbishop of Chicago. He served as
head of the NCCB/USCC Ad Hoc Committee on War and Peace, which
drafted the pastoral letter The Challenge of Peace: God's Promise and Our
Response. This book-length pastoral letter challenged the morality of nuclear
deterrence, and sparked a decade's long debate in both the United States and
abroad.
Joseph Cardinal Bernardin worked diligently for social justice in a changing
world. Beginning in 1983, Cardinal Bernardin called for a "consistent ethic of
life" in an age when modern technologies threatened the sanctity of all human
life at every turn, be it abortion, euthanasia, modern warfare, or capital
punishment. Cardinal Bernardin consistently spoke out against the increasing
violence in Lebanon, Israel, Northern Ireland, and elsewhere. Additionally,
Cardinal Bernardin was the first to offer a Mass for divorced and separated
Catholics at Holy Name Cathedral.
In 1985, Cardinal Bernardin established an AIDS task force to determine how
the Archdiocese might best care for those stricken by the AIDS crisis. In 1989,
the Cardinal dedicated Bonaventure House with the help of the Alexian
Brothers, a residential facility for people suffering with AIDS.
Ardently adhering to the teaching of the Second Vatican Council, Cardinal
Bernardin, first in Cincinnati, then in Chicago, was committed to ecumenical
and interfaith dialogues. While Archbishop of Cincinnati, Bernardin maintained
dialogues with local congregations of Jews, Presbyterians, Episcopalians and
Lutherans. In Chicago, this dedication led to the formation of the Council of
Religious Leaders of Metropolitan Chicago in 1985. Subsequently, under his
leadership, the Archdiocese of Chicago established official covenants with both
the Episcopal Diocese of Chicago and the Evangelical Lutheran Metropolitan
Synod.
In June of 1995, following a string of international visits and pilgrimages,
Cardinal Bernardin underwent surgery for pancreatic cancer. Following the
operation, Bernardin began his cancer ministry. Bernardin so touched the lives
of cancer patients, relating to them on such a personal and spiritual level, that
countless sick, dying and survivors of the terror of cancer wrote to him,
expressing their thanks, admiration, love and hope.
In October 1996, the Cardinal withdrew from his active ministry due to his
deteriorating strength. Reflecting on Jesus in the Garden of Gesthemeni,
Bernardin personally faced death in full view of the world: Bernardin was
teaching us how to die. In his last days, Cardinal Bernardin wrote to the United
States Supreme Court against assisted suicide. The Cardinal always defended
the precious gift of human life. On November 14, 1996, Joseph Cardinal
Bernardin died at the age of sixty-eight.
Joseph Louis Bernardin invested the whole of his life showing the way of peace
and conciliation to the world. He worked for justice, he strove for peace, and
he gave all his strength to make life better for whomever he could. Through his
many homilies, addresses, and pastoral letters, Cardinal Bernardin insisted that
action be taken to preserve human life, dignity, and security by showing us that
there is no other moral alternative. Even facing death, Bernardin showed us the
gift and joy of life. [The Archdiocese of Chicago, abridged]